Web Survey Bibliography
Title Probability Samples vs. Volunteer Respondents in Internet Research: Defining Potential Effects on Data and Decision-Making in Marketing Applications
Source Knowledge Networks
Access date 11.05.2004
Abstract As use of the Internet for commercial research grows, so too does the need for a deeper understanding of the medium’s unique methodological challenges. One key area that has received little attention is sample source – the fact that most Web-based research utilizes “volunteer” groups rather than probability samples. While such groups can be used effectively for certain types of studies, treating them as equivalent to population-projectable samples can produce misunderstandings – and, potentially, mistaken business decisions. Pineau and Slotwiner review the potential sources of survey error in Internet research and provide case studies showing that, compared to conventional RDD samples, volunteer Web groups produce study outcomes that are substantially different – and would likely lead to different business decisions if not viewed in the proper context.
Year of publication2004
Bibliographic typeReports, seminars
Web Survey Bibliography - Reports, seminars (271)
- The GfK NOP Media Efficiency Panel; 2011; Moy, C. et al.
- Survey paradata: a review; 2011; Nicolaas, G.
- State of mobile measurement; 2011; Gluck, M.
- SDSC Announces scalable, high-performance data storage cloud; 2011
- Mobile, webmail, desktops: Where are we viewing email now?; 2011
- Knowledge Networks answers to ESOMAR's "25 Questions to Help Research Buyers"; 2011
- Just published: Forrester Wave™ of enterprise feedback management satisfaction and loyalty solutions...; 2011; McInnes, A.
- ISER working paper 2011-31. Is it a good idea to optimise question format for mode of data collection...; 2011; Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P., Hope, S., Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P.
- Internet access quarterly update 2011 Q1; 2011
- Households with Computers, Telephone Subscriptions, and Internet Access, Selected Years, 1997 - 2010; 2011
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- Google and Kantar develop measurement panel; 2011
- Global market research 2011; 2011
- Eurobarometer Special surveys: EB75.1 E-Communications Household Survey. Special Eurobarometer 362; 2011
- ESOMAR AND CASRO submission to the W3C tracking protection working group - Market research techniques...; 2011
- Causes of survey incompletes: Why panelists say they abandon surveys; 2011; Henning, J.
- Beyond data stability: Rising above quality concerns; 2011
- Background - QSOAP; 2011
- Standard Definitions: Final Dispositions of Case Codes and Outcome Rates for Surveys 2011; 2011
- Web Survey Methodology: Interface Design, Sampling and Statistical Inference; 2011; Couper, M. P.
- Effect of interview modes on measurement of identity; 2011; Nandi, A., Platt, L.
- Maintaining Cross-Sectional Representativeness in a Longitudinal General Population Survey ; 2011; Lynn, P.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 3: Results from Methodological Experiments; 2011; Burton, J., Budd, S., Gilbert, E., Jaeckle, A., McFall, S., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- The Effect of a Mixed Mode Wave on Subsequent Attrition in a Panel Survey: Evidence from the Understanding...; 2011; Lynn, P.
- In the Face of Declining Budgets: The Student Experience at Washington State University ; 2011; Allen, T., Dillman, D. A., Garza, B., Millar, M. M.
- Anchoring vignettes: response consistency and order effects; 2011; Kapteyn, A., Smith, J. P., van Soest, A., Vonkova, H.
- Framing Effects and Expected Social Security Claiming Behavior; 2011; Brown, J., Kapteyn, A., Mitchell, O. S.
- What it takes to be a top 100 website; 2010
- The psychology or survey response. An ASA webinar; 2010; Tourangeau, R.
- Site-intercpet survey best practices; 2010; Henning, J.
- Real ID. State of The Art Representative and Repeatable Online Samples. Behaviorally Profiled Respondents...; 2010; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Overview of data collection methodology; 2010
- Libraries nationwide receiving ALA-APA Library Salary Survey Invitation; 2010; Grady, J.
- Global market research 2010; 2010
- Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct; 2010
- Ekos' observation of MRIA study - Canadian online panels: similar or different?; 2010
- Demographics of mechanical Turk. Ceder working papers; 2010; Ipeirotis, P. G.
- Broadband adoption and use in America; 2010; Horrigan, J.
- Continuity and Innovation in the Design of Understanding Society: the UK Household Longitudinal Study...; 2010; Laurie, H.
- Weighting Strategy for Understanding Society; 2010; Lynn, P., Kaminska, O.
- Lessons from a Randomised Experiment with Mixed-Mode Designs for a Household Panel Survey; 2010; Lynn, P., Uhrig, S.C. N., Burton, J.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 2: Results from Methodological Experiments ; 2010; Burton, J., Laurie, H., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- Codebook and explanatory note on the WageIndicator dataset ; 2010; Tijdens, K., van Zijl, S., Hughie-Williams, M., van Klaveren, M., Steinmetz, S.
- Online Survey Research in the Work-Family Field: Basic Concepts and Definitions; 2010; Lambert, A. D.
- Choosing Between Telephone and Online for Survey Data Collection ; 2010; Baker, R. P.
- Using KnowledgePanel® to Improve the Sample Representativeness and Accuracy of Opt-in Panel Data...; 2010; Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Graham, P.
- AAPOR Report on Online Panels; 2010; Baker, R. P., Blumberg, S. J., Brick, J. M. et. al.
- A comparison of surveys using different modes of data collection; 2010; Revilla, M., Saris, W. E.
- Using Address Based Sampling to Survey the General Public by Mail vs. 'Web plus Mail'; 2010; Messer, B. L., Dillman, D. A.