Web Survey Bibliography
Title Probability Samples vs. Volunteer Respondents in Internet Research: Defining Potential Effects on Data and Decision-Making in Marketing Applications
Source Knowledge Networks
Access date 11.05.2004
Abstract As use of the Internet for commercial research grows, so too does the need for a deeper understanding of the medium’s unique methodological challenges. One key area that has received little attention is sample source – the fact that most Web-based research utilizes “volunteer” groups rather than probability samples. While such groups can be used effectively for certain types of studies, treating them as equivalent to population-projectable samples can produce misunderstandings – and, potentially, mistaken business decisions. Pineau and Slotwiner review the potential sources of survey error in Internet research and provide case studies showing that, compared to conventional RDD samples, volunteer Web groups produce study outcomes that are substantially different – and would likely lead to different business decisions if not viewed in the proper context.
Bibliographic typeReports, seminars
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - Reports, seminars (303)
- WebSM Study: Survey software features overview ; 2012; Vehovar, V.; Cehovin, G.; Kavcic, L.; Lenar, J.
- The World's Simplest Survey Microsimulator (WSSM); 2012; Karr, A. F., Cox, L. H.
- Impact and the Research Excellence Framework: New challenges for universities; 2012; Grant, J.
- Mobile Befragungen: Was Big Data mit kleinen Geräten zu tun hat; 2012
- Understanding Mode Effects between Mobile Web and Mobile SMS Surveys; 2012; Poduska, B., Johnson, E. P.
- An Initial Look at Non-Response and Attrition in Understanding Society; 2012; Lynn, P., Burton, J., Kaminska, O., Knies, G., Nandi, A.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 4: Results from Methodological Experiments; 2012; Burton, J., Budd, S., Gilbert, E., Jaeckle, A., Kaminska, O., Uhrig, S.C. N., Brown, M., Calderwood,...
- The Propensity of Older Respondents to Participate in a General Purpose Survey; 2012; Lynn, P.
- Mode-Switch Protocols: How a Seemingly Small Design Difference can affect Attrition Rates and Attrition...; 2012; Lynn, P.
- The Confirmit Annual Market Research Software Survey 2011; 2012; Macer, T., Wilson, S.
- Marktforschung mit dem iPad-Panel von Axel Springer Media Impact; 2012
- Comparing Google Consumer Surveys to Existing Probability and Non-Probability Based Internet Surveys...; 2012; McDonald, P., Mohebbi, M., Slatkin, B.
- The Impact of Visual Design in Survey Cover Letters on Response and Web Take-Up Rates; 2012; Mockovak, W.
- Probing in web surveys & response burden: first results from an international web survey; 2011; Behr, D., Bandilla, W., Kaczmirek, L., Braun, M., Majer, S.
- Search and email still top the list of most popular online activities; 2011; Purcell, K.
- On the experience and evidence about mixing modes of data collection in large-scale surveys where the...; 2011; Dex, S., Gumy, J.
- What is Probit; 2011
- User agent; 2011
- Unpublisihed internal Google report on break off rates by device type; 2011; Callegaro, M.
- The impact of cookie deletion on site-server and ad-server metrics in Australia. An empirical comScore...; 2011
- The GfK NOP Media Efficiency Panel; 2011; Moy, C. et al.
- Survey paradata: a review; 2011; Nicolaas, G.
- State of mobile measurement; 2011; Gluck, M.
- SDSC Announces scalable, high-performance data storage cloud; 2011
- Mobile, webmail, desktops: Where are we viewing email now?; 2011
- Knowledge Networks answers to ESOMAR's "25 Questions to Help Research Buyers"; 2011
- Just published: Forrester Wave™ of enterprise feedback management satisfaction and loyalty solutions...; 2011; McInnes, A.
- ISER working paper 2011-31. Is it a good idea to optimise question format for mode of data collection...; 2011; Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P., Hope, S., Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P.
- Internet access quarterly update 2011 Q1; 2011
- Households with Computers, Telephone Subscriptions, and Internet Access, Selected Years, 1997 - 2010; 2011
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- Google and Kantar develop measurement panel; 2011
- Global market research 2011; 2011
- Eurobarometer Special surveys: EB75.1 E-Communications Household Survey. Special Eurobarometer 362; 2011
- ESOMAR AND CASRO submission to the W3C tracking protection working group - Market research techniques...; 2011
- Causes of survey incompletes: Why panelists say they abandon surveys; 2011; Henning, J.
- Beyond data stability: Rising above quality concerns; 2011
- Background - QSOAP; 2011
- Standard Definitions: Final Dispositions of Case Codes and Outcome Rates for Surveys 2011; 2011
- Web Survey Methodology: Interface Design, Sampling and Statistical Inference; 2011; Couper, M. P.
- Effect of interview modes on measurement of identity; 2011; Nandi, A., Platt, L.
- Maintaining Cross-Sectional Representativeness in a Longitudinal General Population Survey ; 2011; Lynn, P.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 3: Results from Methodological Experiments; 2011; Burton, J., Budd, S., Gilbert, E., Jaeckle, A., McFall, S., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- The Effect of a Mixed Mode Wave on Subsequent Attrition in a Panel Survey: Evidence from the Understanding...; 2011; Lynn, P.
- Is it a good idea to optimise question format for mode of data collection? Results from a mixed modes...; 2011; Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P., Hope, S., Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P., Nandi, A.
- In the Face of Declining Budgets: The Student Experience at Washington State University ; 2011; Allen, T., Dillman, D. A., Garza, B., Millar, M. M.
- Anchoring vignettes: response consistency and order effects; 2011; Kapteyn, A., Smith, J. P., van Soest, A., Vonkova, H.
- Framing Effects and Expected Social Security Claiming Behavior; 2011; Brown, J., Kapteyn, A., Mitchell, O. S.
- Mixed-Method Approaches to Social Network Analysis; 2010; Edwards, G.