Web Survey Bibliography
Title Differences between Internet samples and conventional samples of men who have sex with men: implications for research and HIV interventions
Source Social Science & Medicine, 51, 5, pp.749-758
Access date 14.05.2004
Abstract The Internet is becoming a new erotic oasis for obtaining sex online or in person. We reviewed the literature on cybersex and compared differences in data from samples of homosexually active men obtained on identical questionnaires from a conventional written questionnaire, distributed through the mailing and contact lists of a large national gay organization in Sweden, and through the same organization's website and chat room. A total of 716 written questionnaires and 678 Internet questionnaires were obtained. The Internet sample was younger, more likely to live in small towns or cities, live with parents or a girlfriend, and have lower formal education. They are less likely to have previous sexual experience solely with other men (one in three of the Internet sample vs. 1 in 14 of the written sample defined themselves as bisexual) and more likely to visit erotic oases such as bathhouses, video clubs and erotic movie houses. They also visited Internet chat rooms more frequently (86% of the Internet sample vs. 50% of the written sample). One third of the Internet sample wanted the opportunity to talk with an expert about HIV compared with a quarter of the written sample. Sexual practices between the two samples were generally similar, although the Internet sample reported significantly less body contact, kissing, hugging, mutual masturbation, and more condom use for anal intercourse with steady partners. Over four times as many of the Internet samples reported sex with women in the past year as the written sample. These data indicate that Internet data collection is feasible and that this mode of data collection, despite the nonrandom and self-selected nature of both types of samples, is likely to be more significantly oriented toward the young, geographically more isolated, and more behaviorally and self-identified bisexual respondent than conventionally distributed written questionnaires.
Access/Direct link ScienceDirect (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2000
Web Survey Bibliography - Sweden (63)
- Flexible insulin dosing improves health-related quality-of-life (HRQoL): a time trade-off survey; 2013; Evans, M. et al.
- Web panel surveys – can they be designed and used in a scientifically sound way?; 2013; Svensson , J.
- A standard with quality indicators for web panel surveys: a Swedish example; 2013; Nyfjaell, M.
- Telephone Versus Internet Administration of Self-Report Measures of Social Anxiety, Depressive Symptoms...; 2013; Hedman, E., Ljótsson, B., Blom, K., El Alaoui, S., Kraepelien, M., Rück, C., Andersson, G., Svanborg...
- Respondent Behavior Logging: An Opportunity for Online Survey Design; 2013; Sjoestroem, J., Rahman, M. H., Rafiq, A., Lochan, R., Agerfalk, P. J.
- The effect of short formative diagnostic web quizzes with minimal feedback; 2013; Baelter, O., Enstroem, E., Klingenberg, B.
- Feedback in web-based questionnaires as incentive to increase compliance in studies on lifestyle factors...; 2012; Baelter, O., Fondell, E., Baelter, K.
- Measure the response burden in the Swedish Intrastat system; 2012; Weideskog, F.
- Active-Q: Validation of the Web-Based Physical Activity Questionnaire Using Doubly Labeled Water; 2012; Bonn, S. E., Trolle-Lagerros, Y., Christensen, S. E., Moeller, E., Wright, A., Sjoelander, A., Baelter...
- Measuring risk online--feasibility of using FINDRISC in an online workplace survey; 2012; Gyberg, V., Hasson, D., Tuomilehto, J., Rydén, L.
- Triton: a general tool for data collection and micro editing; 2011; Erikson, J.
- Development and Validation of a Web-Based Questionnaire for Surveying Skydivers; 2011; Nilsson, J.; Friden, C.; Buren, V.; Ang, B.
- Comparison of Web and Mail Responses in a Census of Swedish Local Political Representatives; 2011; Gilljam, M., Granberg, D., Holm, B., Persson, M., Karlsson, D., Sundell, A.
- How to Survey All 14 000 Swedish Local Political Representatives And Get 10 000 Responses.; 2011; Gilljam, M.; Granberg, D.; Holm, B.; Persson, M.
- Internet-Based Follow-Up Questionnaire for Measuring Patient-Reported Outcome after Total Hip Replacement...; 2011; Rolfson, O., Salomonsson, R., Garellick, G., E.Dahlberg, L. E.
- Designing Input Fields for Non-Narrative Open-Ended Responses in Web Surveys; 2011; Couper, M. P., Kennedy, C., Conrad, F. G., Tourangeau, R.
- Population screening of risky alcohol and drug use via Internet and Interactive Voice Response (IVR):...; 2011; Sinadinovic, K., Wennberg, P., Berman, A. H.
- What it takes to be a top 100 website; 2010
- Using a Mixed-Mode Design to Survey Ethnic Minorities?; 2010; Feskens, R., Kappelhof, J.
- Item Nonresponse Analysis for a Mixed-Mode Survey.; 2010; Lorenc, B., Olsson, K.
- A Comparison of Psychometric Properties Between Internet and Paper Versions of Two Depression Instruments...; 2010; Andersson, G., Engstroem, I., Hollaendare, F.
- Contact Strategies to Improve Participation via the Web in a Mixed-Mode Mail and Web Survey; 2010; Holmberg, A., Lorenc, B., Werner, P.
- Questionnaire Design Guidelines for Establishment Surveys; 2010; Morrison, R. L., Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M.
- Internet administration of self-report measures commonly used in research on social anxiety disorder...; 2010; Hedman, E., Ljótsson, B., Rück, C., Furmark, T., Carlbring, P., Lindefors, N., Andersson, G.
- Interactive Voice Response and web-based questionnaires for population-based infectious disease reporting...; 2010; Bexelius, C., Merk, H., Sandin, S., Nyrén, O., Kühlmann-Berenzon, S., Linde, A., Litton, J.-E.
- E-epidemiology : Adapting epidemiological methods for the 21st century; 2009; Bexelius, C.
- Statistical analysis of on-line courses; 2009; Baelter, O.
- Optimal Contact Strategy in a Mail and Web Mixed Mode Survey ; 2009; Holmberg, A., Lorenc, B., Werner, P.
- Web-based measurement: Effect of completing single or multiple items per webpage; 2009; Thorndike, F. P., Carlbring, P., Smyth, F. L., Magee, J. C., Gonder-Frederick, L., Ost, L. G., Ritterband...
- Swedish National Data Service's Strategy for Sharing and Mediating Data; 2008; Carlhed, C., Alfredsson, I.
- Optimizing the design of web-based questionnaires – experience from a population-based study among...; 2007; Ekman, A., Klint, A.,Dickman, P. W., Adami, H.-O., Litton, J.-E.
- The power of the visible: Visual design for Web surveys; 2006; Couper, M. P.
- Feasibility of Using Web-based Questionnaires in Large Population-based Epidemiological Studies; 2006; Ekman, A., Dickman, P. W., Klint, A., Weiderpass, E., Litton, J.-E.
- Use and Non-use of Clarification Features in Web Surveys; 2006; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Peytchev, A.
- On the cost-efficiency of probability sampling based mail surveys with a Web response option; 2005; Werner, P.
- Measuring Perceived and Actual Response Burden in Business Surveys; 2005; Dale, T., Haraldsen, G., Jones, J., Hedlin, D.
- Web surveying academics in seven European countries: challenges encountered; 2005; Smeenk, S., van Selm, M., Eisinga, R.
- On the Cost-Efficiency of Mixed-Mode Data Collection with a Web Response Option: Results of a Survey...; 2005; Werner, P., Forsman, G.
- Simple Approaches to Estimating the Variance of the Propensity Score Weighted Estimator Applied on Volunteer...; 2005; Isaksson, A., Lee, Sunghee
- An Internet Study of Cybersex Participants; 2005; Daneback, K., Cooper, A., Mansson, S.-A.
- Web-based and Mailed Questionnaires: A Comparison of Response Rates and Compliance; 2005; Baelter, K., Balter, O., Fondell, E., Trolle-Lagerros, Y.
- Biases in internet sexual health samples: Comparison of an internet sexuality survey and a national...; 2005; Ross, M. W., Mansson, S.-A., Daneback, K., Cooper, A., Tikkanen, R.
- Design your questions right: How to develop, test, evaluate and improve questionnaires; 2004; Henningsson, B.
- List-based Web Surveys: Quality, Timeliness, and Nonresponse in the Steps of the Participation Flow; 2004; Pratesi, M., Lozar Manfreda, K., Biffignandi, S., Vehovar, V.
- Testing Web Surveys; 2004; Baeckstroem, H., Henningsson, B.
- An Internet survey of asthma treatment; 2004; Janson, C., Wjst, M.
- On the Variability of Estimates Based on Propensity-score-weighted Data from Web Panels; 2004; Forsman, G., Danielsson, S. , Isaksson, A.
- Car-user responses to travel demand management measures: goal setting and choice of adaptation alternatives...; 2004; Loukopoulos, P., Jakobsson, C., Garling, T., Schneider, C. M., Fujii, S.
- Weighting methods; 2003; Kalton, G., Flores Cervantes, I.
- Measuring newspaper reading during summer period via mobile phones; 2003; Vogelius, L., Widman, L.