Web Survey Bibliography
Title The Value of Web Log Data in Use-Based Design and Testing
Author Burton, M. C., Walther, J. B.
Source Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 6, 3
Access date 15.05.2004
Full text doc (149k)
Abstract Web-based logs contain potentially useful empirical data with which World Wide Web (Web) designers and design theorists can assess usability and effectiveness of design choices. Most Web design guidelines from artistic or usability principles feature no empirical validation, while empirical studies of Web use typically rely on observer ratings. Web server logs and client-side logs can provide naturally-occurring, unobtrusive usage data, partially amenable to normative use assessments but particularly useful in experimental research comparing alternative Web designs. Identification of types of Web server logs, client logs, types and uses of log data, and issues associated with the validity of these data are enumerated. Frameworks that outline how sources of use-based data can be triangulated to assess Web design are illustrated. Finally, an approach to experimentation that overcomes many data validity issues is presented and illustrated through a pilot experiment that used server logs to compare user responses to frames, pop-up, and scrolling arrangements of a single Web site.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Year of publication2001
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Online measurement (845)
- Broadband adoption and use in America; 2010; Horrigan, J.
- Online panel survey, Change and stability of political attitudes; 2010
- Handbook of Survey Research; 2010; Marsden, P. V., Wright, J. D.
- Internet-Based Measurement With Visual Analogue Scales: An Experimental Investigation; 2010; Funke, F.
- Internet Survey Paradata; 2010; Heerwegh, D.
- Challenges in Reaching Hard-to-Reach Groups in Internet Panel Research; 2010; Marchand, M., Vis, C.
- How Visual Design Affects the Interpretability of Survey Questions; 2010; Toepoel, V., Dillman, D. A.
- Ethical Considerations in Internet Surveys; 2010; Singer, E., Couper, M. P.
- Internet Survey Methods: A Review of Strengths, Weaknesses, and Innovations; 2010; Smyth, J. D., Pearson, J. E.
- Measuring selection bias introduced by routing; 2010; Porter, S., de Gaudemar, O., Kimura, M.
- Quantifying the Impact of Survey Design Parameters on Respondent Engagement and Data Quality; 2010; Suresh, N., Conklin, M.
- Digital, Social Moms: Using Social Media to Increase Respondent Engagement and Decrease Recruiting Costs...; 2010; Stemberg, C., Rimmer, L., Weinstein, D.
- The Rise of Survey Programming Automation as an Alternative to Outsourcing; 2010; Ahmed, A. S., Guyer, L.
- Conditioning Effects in Online Communities; 2010; Cape, P. J.
- Predicting the Future with Social Media ; 2010; Asur, S., Huberman, B. A.
- News Platform Preference: Advancing the Effects of Age and Media Consumption on Political Participation...; 2010; Bachmann, I., Kaufhold, K., Lewis, S. C., de Zuniga, H. G.
- ReCal: Intercoder Reliability Calculation as a Web Service ; 2010; Freelon, D. G.
- Statistics Canada's Process Automation of On-line Survey Development and CATI Data Integration; 2010; Dubois, M.-A.
- Normalized Database Structure to Support Survey Fulfillment Operations; 2010; Sikes, N., Pittman, J., Hazel, K.
- How attrition/conditioning effects impact response bias in online panels ; 2010; Gittelmam, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Enrichment of Qualitative Research through Online Approaches: New Insights due to Online CoCreation...; 2010; Krischke-Ramaswamy, M., Knorr, H.
- A short self-report measure of problems with executive function suitable for administration via the...; 2010; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- Combining Link-Tracing Sampling and Cluster Sampling to Estimate Totals and Means of Hidden Human Populations...; 2010; Félix-Medina, M. H., Monjardin, P. E.
- System and method of providing an online survey and summarizing survey response data; 2010; Ryan, C. J.
- Security and Data Protection: Collection, Storage, Feedback in Internet Research; 2010; Thiele, O., Kaczmirek, L.
- An Experiment With an Employment Sector Question; 2010; Finno, A. A., Kohout, J.
- Lottery Incentives and Online Survey Response Rates; 2010; Preece, M. J., Johanson, G., Hitchcock, J.
- Breakoff in Web Surveys of the German Longitudinal Election Study (GLES); 2010; Blumenstiel, J. E., Roßmann, J., Steinbrecher, M.
- Growing Pains; 2010; Trimarchi, E., Gittelmam, S. H.
- The Fallacy of Online Surveys: No Data Are Better Than Bad Data; 2010; Duda, M. D., Nobile, J. L.
- Improving the response rate and quality in Web-based surveys through the personalization and frequency...; 2010; Muñoz-Leiva, F., Sánchez-Fernández, J., Montoro-Ríos, F. J., Ibáñez-Zapata, J. A.
- What are participants doing while filling in an online questionnaire: A paradata collection tool and...; 2010; Stieger, S., Reips, U. -D.
- Where Is the unproctored Internet testing train headed now?; 2009; Tippins, N. T.
- Recovering the scientist-practitioner model: How IOs should respond to unproctored internet testing; 2009; Beaty, J. C. et al.
- Preserving the integrity of online testing; 2009; Burke, E.
- Internet alternatives to traditional proctored testing: Where are we now?; 2009; Tippins, N. T.
- Getting data for (business) statistics: What's new? What's next?; 2009; Snijkers, G.
- Exploring mode effects in a panel survey of new businesses; 2009; Santos, B., DesRoches, D.
- Dirty little secrets of online panels. And how the one you select can make or break your study; 2009
- Association collaborative effort releases online research definitions, expands membership; 2009
- Continuous Measurement of Musically-Induced Emotion: A Web Experiment ; 2009; Egermann, H., Nagel, F., Altenmueller, E., Kopiez, R.
- E-epidemiology : Adapting epidemiological methods for the 21st century; 2009; Bexelius, C.
- Metadata-Driven Survey Design; 2009; Iverson, J.
- Design of Web Questionnaires: The Effect of Layout in Rating Scales; 2009; Toepoel, V., Das, M., van Soest, A.
- Metrics for panel contribution: a non probabilistic platform; 2009; Gittelmam, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Relation between values and topic of a survey in internet panel research; 2009; Vis, C., Marchand, M.
- Lottery Style Incentives and Response Rates to Online Surveys; 2009; Pearson, J., E., Krosnick, J. A.Levine, R. E.
- The Presentation of a Web Survey, Nonresponse and Measurement Error among Members of Web Panel; 2009; Tourangeau, R., Groves, R. M., Kennedy, C., Yan, T.
- Web Panel Studies of the 2008 Election; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Tompson, T.
- Comparison Study of Early Adopter Attitudes and Online Behavior in Probability and Non-Probability Web...; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Osborn, L., Semans, K.