Web Survey Bibliography
Title The Accuracy of Self-Reports: Comparisons of an RDD Telephone with Internet Surveys by Harris Interactive and Knowledge Networks
Access date 15.05.2004
Abstract These two papers report data from a new mode comparison study that focused on the 2000 American Presidential Election. Data were collected from national panels of respondents both before the campaign began and again after election day by the Ohio State University Center for Survey Research, Knowledge Networks, and Harris Interactive using the same questionnaire. Therefore, this study afforded the first opportunity to compare the quality of data collected by telephone vs. the Internet. The questionnaire included experimental manipulations and item structures permitting assessment of item reliability, systematic measurement error, and validity, as well as sample representativeness. The results provide startling contrasts between the meth-odologies and make clear recommendations about more and less desirable methods for future survey data collection in the "new world".
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication2001
Web Survey Bibliography - Krosnick, J. A. (59)
- The Handbook of Questionnaire Design; 2013; Krosnick, J. A., Fabrigar, L. R.
- Improving ability measurement in surveys by following the principles of IRT: The Wordsum vocabulary...; 2012; Cor, K., Haertel, E., Krosnick, J. A., Malhotra, N.
- Complete Anonymity Compromises the Accuracy of Self - Reports; 2012; Lelkes, Y., Krosnick, J. A., Marx, D. M., Judd, C. M., Park, B.
- Can Offcial Records Correct Errors in Turnout Self-reports?; 2012; Berent, M., Krosnick, J. A., Lupia, A.
- Improving Question Design to Maximize Reliability and Validity; 2012; Krosnick, J. A.
- How accurate are surveys of objective phenomena?; 2012; Chang, L. C., Krosnick, J. A.
- Does mentioning "Some People" and "Other People" in an opinion question improve...; 2012; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A.
- What Number of Scale Points in an Attitude Question Optimizes Response Validity and Administration Practicality...; 2012; Yeager, D. S., Anand, S., Krosnick, J. A.
- A Systematic Review of Studies Investigating the Quality of Data Obtained with Online Panels; 2012; Callegaro, M., Villar, A., Krosnick, J. A., Yeager, D. S.
- Measuring americans' issue priorities. A new version of the most important problem question reveals...; 2011; Yeager, D. S., Larson, S. B., Krosnick, J. A., Tompson, T.
- Experiments for evaluating survey questions; 2011; Krosnick, J. A.
- Does mentioning "some people" and "other people" in a survey question increase the...; 2011; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A.
- Comparing the Accuracy of RDD Telephone Surveys and Internet Surveys Conducted with Probability and...; 2011; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A., Chang, L. C., Javitz, H. S., Levendusky, M. S., Simpser, A., Wang, R...
- More comparisons of Probability and Non-Probability Sample Internet Surveys: The Dutch NOPVO Study.; 2011; Weiss, R., Krosnick, J. A., Yeager, D. S.
- Measuring User Satisfaction in the Lab: Questionnaire Mode, Physical Location, and Social Presence Concerns...; 2011; Jans, M., Romano, J. C., Ashenfelter, K. T., Krosnick, J. A.
- Measuring Intent to Participate and Participation in the 2010 Census and Their Correlates and Trends...; 2010; Pasek, J., Krosnick, J. A.
- Assessing the Accuracy of the Face-to-Face Recruited Internet Survey Platform: A Comparison of Behavioral...; 2010; Villar, A., Malka, A., Krosnick, J. A.
- Study of Non-Probability Sample Internet Surveys' Estimates of Consumer Product Usage and Demographic...; 2010; Yeager, D. S., Carter, A., Tewoldemedhin, H., Krosnick, J. A.
- Computing weights for the American National Election Study survey data; 2009; Debell, M., Krosnick, J. A.
- Question and Questionnaire Design; 2009; Krosnick, J. A., Presser, S.
- Dispositions and Outcome Rates in the “Face-to- Face/Internet Survey Platform" (the FFISP); 2009; Sakshaug, J. W., Tourangeau, K., Krosnick, J. A., Ackermann, A., Malka, A., Debell, M., Turakhia, C.
- Attrition in a Face-to-Face Recruited Internet Panel with Substantial Incentives; 2009; Malka, A., Krosnick, J. A., Ackermann, A., Debell, M., Turakhia, C.
- Lessons Learned About How to Accomplish Effective In- Person Recruitment of a Web-Equipped Survey Panel...; 2009; Ackermann, A., Krosnick, J. A., Turakhia, C., Debell, M., Malka, A., Jarmon, R.
- Comparison Study of Probability and Non-Probability Sample Surveys Conducted by Internet and Face to...; 2009; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A.
- Does Weighting Improve the Accuracy of Data from Non- Probability Internet Survey Panels of People Who...; 2009; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A.
- National Surveys Via RDD Telephone Interviewing vs. the Internet: Comparing Sample Representativeness...; 2009; Chang, L. C., Krosnick, J. A.
- Lottery Style Incentives and Response Rates to Online Surveys; 2009; Pearson, J., E., Krosnick, J. A.Levine, R. E.
- Scientific Survey Research: Sustainable in an Online World?; 2009; Krosnick, J. A.
- Money for Surveys: What about Data-Quality?; 2009; A.Krosnick, J. A.
- Optimal Design of Branching Questions to Measure Bipolar Constructs; 2009; Malhotra, N., Krosnick, J. A., Thomas, R. K.
- The accuracy of online surveys with non-probability samples; 2008; Krosnick, J. A.
- ‘For Example’: How Different Example Types in Online Surveys Influence Frequency ; 2008; Berent, M., Krosnick, J. A.
- Comparing the Results of Probability and Non-probability Telephone and Internet Survey Data; 2008; Wang, R., Krosnick, J. A.
- “For Example…,” How Different Example Types in Online Surveys Influence Frequency...; 2008; Berent, M., Krosnick, J. A.
- Response option ordering: Reconciliating meanings conveyed by rating scale position and label. Unpublished...; 2007; Garland, P., Krosnick, J. A.
- The Effect of Survey Mode and Sampling on Inferences about Political Attitudes and Behavior: Comparing...; 2007; Malhotra, N., Krosnick, J. A.
- Face-to-Face Recruitment of an Internet Survey Panel: Lessons from an NSF-Sponsored Demonstration Protect...; 2007; O'Muircheartaigh, C., Krosnick, J. A., Dennis, J. M.
- The measurement of attitudes; 2005; Krosnick, J. A., Judd, C. M., Wittenbrink, B.
- Comparing the results of probability and non-probability sample surveys; 2005; Krosnick, J. A.
- Effects of survey data collection mode on response quality: Implications for mixing modes in cross-national...; 2005; Krosnick, J. A.
- Vote Over-Reporting: Testing the Social Desirability Hypothesis in Telephone and Internet Surveys; 2005; Holbrook, A. L., Krosnick, J. A.
- Effect of Respondent Motivation and Tack Difficulty on Nondifferentiation in Ratings: A Test of Satisficing...; 2005; Anand, S., Krosnick, J. A., Mulligan, K., Smith, W., Green, M. C., Bizer, G. Y.
- Comparing Major Survey Firms in Terms of Survey Satisficing: Telephone and Internet Data Collection; 2005; Krosnick, J. A., Nie, N., Rivers, D.
- Web Survey Methodologies: A Comparison of Survey Accuracy; 2005; Krosnick, J. A., Nie, N., Rivers, D.
- The Economist/YouGov Internet Presidential poll.; 2004; Fiorina, M., Krosnick, J. A.
- Comparing Data Quality in Telephone and Internet Surveys: Results of Lab and Field Experiments; 2003; Krosnick, J. A.
- Can What We Don’t Know (about “Don’t Know”) Hurt Us?: Effects of Item Non-response...; 2003; Krosnick, J. A., Behnke, C. S., Lafond, C.R., Thomas, R. K.
- How Does Ranking Rate?: A Comparison of Ranking and Rating Tasks.; 2003; Krosnick, J. A., Shaeffer, E. M., Thomas, R. K.
- Comparing Self-administered Computer Surveys and Auditory Interviews: An Experiment; 2002; Chang, L. C., Krosnick, J. A.
- More Is Not Necessarily Better: Effects of Response Categories on Measurement Stability and Validity; 2002; Thomas, R. K., Uldall, B. R., Krosnick, J. A.