Web Survey Bibliography
Title Preliminary validation of a hope scale for a rare health condition using web-based methodology
Author Vernberg, D., Snyder, C. R., Schuh, M.
Source Cognition & Emotion, 19, 4, pp. 601-610
Database Ingenta Select
Access date 26.07.2005
Abstract An evaluation of a health condition-specific hope scale adapted from the more general dispositional Hope Scale (Snyder et al., 1991) is provided. Participants ( N = 202) with a rare, debilitating, and potentially stigmatising health condition were recruited from readers of the Anal Fissure Self Help Page. Data were gathered anonymously using an online survey linked to the website. Consistent with hope theory, this new measure yielded a pathways factor (perceived capacity to find ways to achieve desired goals) and an agency factor (perceived motivation to pursue goals energetically). Respondents with stronger pathways thoughts reported greater benefits from website information for understanding and generating strategies for managing anal fissures. Stronger agency beliefs were related to more frequent website visits, more rereading of first-hand patient accounts, and shorter duration of fissure symptoms. Results offer preliminary support for validity of this scale and for using web-based methodologies to study conditions, such as anal fissure.
Access/Direct link Database (abstract)
Year of publication2005
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Research on Internet (646)
- Why Do I Use the Social Web?” Exploring the Motives of Active and Passive Users via Focus Groups...; 2009; Jers, C., Taddicken, M., Schenk, M.
- International Handbook of Internet Research; 2009; Hunsinger, J., Klastrup, L., Allen, M.
- A usability of a new graphical shopping interface through GlobalPark; 2009; Groenen, P. J. F., Kagie, M.
- Effects of data collection technique on the quality of data: A MTMM study of CATI, CAPI and Online interviews...; 2009; Scherpenzeel, A.
- Effectiveness of incentives in mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs; 2009; Vehovar, V.; Lozar Manfreda, K.; Berzelak, N.
- Web-based measurement: Effect of completing single or multiple items per webpage; 2009; Thorndike, F. P., Carlbring, P., Smyth, F. L., Magee, J. C., Gonder-Frederick, L., Ost, L. G., Ritterband...
- Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- Usability testing; 2008; Roe, D. J.
- Foundation of quality project overview; 2008
- Whose Space? Differences Among Users and Non-Users of Social Network Sites; 2008; Hargittai, E.
- ‘Looking at’, ‘Looking up’ or ‘Keeping up with’ People? Motives...; 2008; Joinson, A. N.
- Objectivity, Reliability, and Validity of Search Engine Count Estimates ; 2008; Janetzko, D.
- More than the digital divide?: Investigating the differences between Internet and non-Internet users; 2008; Zhang, C., Callegaro, M., Thomas, M.
- Internet dating: a British survey; 2008; Gunter, B.
- Social Web Data as a Source for Social Science Research. The Example of a German Online Dating Website...; 2008; Skopek, J., Schmitz, A.
- Use of the Internet as a data collection tool: a methodological investigation of online synchronous...; 2008; Evans, A. R., Elford, J., Wiggins, D.
- The Role of Cash Incentives in Online Panelist Motivations: Experimental Results on Unit Response and...; 2008; Taylor, E.
- Predictors and Barriers to Collecting Data from Early Childhood Educators Using the Web; 2008; Caspe, M., Sonnenfeld, K., Meagher, C., Sprachman, S., Scaturro, G.
- Internet Surveys: Can Statistical Adjustments Eliminate Coverage Bias?; 2008; Dever, J. A., Rafferty, A., Valliant, R. L.
- Eliciting Subjective Expectations in Internet Surveys ; 2008; Delavande, A., Rohwedder, S.
- Internet Research: Developments, problems, and potential; 2008; Welker, M., Matzat, U.
- Response Non-Differentiation and Response Styles in Web-Based Studies: Causes and Consequences ; 2008; Frisina, L. T., Thomas, R. K.
- Cost efficiency in a mixed-mode survey – The Norwegian Rent Marked Survey; 2008; Lagerstrom, B. O.
- Analyzing Social Networks via the Internet; 2008; Hogan, B.
- The effects of incentives in internet panels: a review; 2008; Goeritz, A.
- Asking the age question in mail and online surveys; 2008; Gendall, P., Healey, B.
- Whither statistical metadata?; 2007; Westlake, A.
- Web survey design; 2007; Ma, Q., McCord, M.
- Utility and happiness; 2007; Kimball, M. S., Willis, R.
- The Internet audience. Constitution & measurement; 2007; Bermejo, F.
- Sampling for web surveys; 2007; Rivers, D.
- Case Study: Evolution of Web Interview Capabilities in a Large Commercial Setting ; 2007; Cohen, A.
- Reconstructing childhood health histories using internet panels; 2007; Smith, J. P.
- Online market research, 5th Edition; 2007; Comley, P.
- IMRO guidelines for best practices in online sample and panel management; 2007
- Developments in electronic survey design for establishment surveys; 2007; O'Neill, G.
- The benefits of Facebook “friends:” Social capital and college students' use of online...; 2007; Ellison, N. B., Steinﬁeld, C., Lampe, C.
- Trust and privacy concern within social networking sites: A comparison of Facebook and MySpace ; 2007; Dwyer, R., Passerini , K., Hiltz, S. R.
- Online research ethics; 2007; Madge, C.
- Crypto law survey; 2007; Koops, B. -J.
- Context effects in Internet Surveys: New issues and evidence; 2007; D. Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M., Smith, A.Smyth, J. D.
- Technical considerations when implementing online research; 2007; Schmidt, W. C.
- Using online panels in psychological research; 2007; Goeritz, A.
- The Online Measurement of Ego Centered Online Social Networks; 2007; Matzat, U., Snijders, C.
- Using user feedback: Redesigning the "Survey of Industrial production"; 2007; Conrad, A.
- Web Panels: The Future of Survey Research?; 2007; Krotki, K.
- Effects of Answer Space Size on Responses to Open-ended questions in mail surveys; 2007; Israel, G. D.
- "Dirty Politics" Web Experiments on the Effects of Negative Communication Actions ; 2007; Tatzl, G.
- Quality of Online Research: Does it Improve Results? ; 2007; Lindemann, M.
- New Access to Information laws in Germany - a big bang for Computer-Assisted Reporting (CAR)? ; 2007; Redelfs, M.