Web Survey Bibliography
Title Investigating Validity in Web Surveys
Author Satmetrix Systems
Source A Satmetrix Systems White Paper
Access date 07.09.2005
Full text pdf (264k)
Abstract This paper describes the concept of validity in general, and reviews preliminary research comparing Web surveys to the substantiated method of telephone interviewing. It also summarizes tentative findings on the validity in Web surveys as a whole, and offers recommendations for use in future survey applications. While there are currently some limitations to online surveying, these limitations are generally overcome when the sample data is collected from a known and identifiable population. In instances where the survey objective is to collect accurate data from a known sample frame, early research demonstrates the improved efficacy of Web surveying over telephone interviewing. Specifically, if the objective is to collect data from a targeted population, such as employees within an organization, visitors to a Web site, or a specific customer contact list, Satmetrix Systems recommends Web surveying as an improved alternative to the conventional method of telephone interviewing. For example, Web surveying is highly recommended for pop-up or list-based sample surveys in which the sample frame (e.g., site visitors or a list of customer email addresses) is relatively robust and the target population is narrowly defined. Given their lower levels of measurement error, as well as their demonstrated reduction in cost, time, and effort, Web surveys can be as effective if not more effective than telephone surveys in collecting precise and accurate data that lead to the generation of valid assertions, inferences, and conclusions.
Access/Direct link Satmetrix homepage (abstract)
Year of publication2001
Bibliographic typeGeneric - other
Web Survey Bibliography - Generic - other (88)
- Addressing Survey Nonresponse Issues: Implications for ATE Principal Investigators, Evaluators, and...; 2013; Welch, W. W., Barlau, A. N.
- Benchmarking for better surveys; 2012; Nallan, S.
- Statisticians don’t like non-probability; 2012; Murphy, J.
- Comments on Using Facebook as a Sampling Frame for Surveys; 2012; Peytchev, A.
- Online Survey Spawning, Administration And Management ; 2012; Jepson, S., Powlette, J. F., Queenan, M.
- Harvard research data security policy; 2011
- Display resolution; 2011
- A new representative standard for online research: Conquering the challenge of the dirty little "...; 2011; Gittelman, S., Trimarchi, E., Fawson, B.
- Medium Node: NSF Census Research Network; 2011; McCutcheon, A. L., Belli, R. F., Olson, K., D.; Smyth, J. D., Soh, L.-K.
- System and method of providing an online survey and summarizing survey response data; 2010; Ryan, C. J.
- Description of Within-Panel Survey Sampling Methodology: The Knowledge Networks Approach; 2009; Dennis, J. M.
- Summary of KnowledgePanel® Design; 2009; Dennis, J. M.
- Findings from consumer surveys on Internet Shopping: A comparison of pre and post study consumer research...; 2009; Anonymous
- National Surveys Via RDD Telephone Interviewing vs. the Internet: Comparing Sample Representativeness...; 2008; Chang, L. C., Krosnick, J. A.
- The implications of variation in national data-collection mode access and rates of access change: a...; 2008; Blyth, B.
- Do online respondents go the extra mile and take on inconvenient tasks?; 2008; Callegaro, M., Wells, T.
- Eliciting Subjective Expectations in Internet Surveys ; 2008; Delavande, A., Rohwedder, S.
- How accurate are self-selection web surveys?; 2008; Bethlehem, J.
- A guide to understanding Internet measurement alternatives; 2007
- Online research ethics; 2007; Madge, C.
- Crypto law survey; 2007; Koops, B. -J.
- Crypto law survey; 2007; Koops, B. -J.
- Low-Cost, Hosted Online Surveys Open up Opportunities for Businesses to Quickly Gain Insights Into and...; 2007; Ramstetter Wenzel, A.
- ONLINE DATA COLLECTION – SOLUTION OR BAND-AID?; 2007; Crassweller, A., Williams, D., Thompson, I.
- EMBRACING TECHNOLOGY IN READERSHIP SURVEYS; 2007; Impedovo, D., Greene, D.
- MAGAZINE EFFECTIVENESS NOW DIRECTLY OBSERVABLE; 2007; Green, M.
- Evolution of web surveys at USDA`s national agricultural statistics service; 2007; Gregory, G., Earp, M.
- Using a web-lite approach to collecting data via the web; 2007; Frederickson-Mele, K.
- Email data collection; 2007; Fast, D.
- THE READERSHIP CURRENCY: DUTCH DESIGN How a new methodology for AIR measurement opens up new perspectives...; 2007; Petric, I., Appel, M.
- Standards in Online Surveys. Sources for Professional Codes of Conduct, Ethical Guidelines and Quality...; 2005; Kaczmirek, L., Schulze, N.
- An assessment of measurement invariance between online and mail surveys ; 2005; Deutskens, E., de Ruyter, K., Wetzels, M.
- The Trouble With Web Surveys; 2005; Cooper, B.
- Web Surveys - Online Interviewing (CAWI); 2005; Gourvennec, Y.
- Telephone Versus Online Surveys; 2005; Williams, T.
- Survey Mode as a Source of Instability in Responses across Surveys; 2005; Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M.
- Apache, MySQL, and PHP for Web surveys; 2004; Goeritz, A.
- Methodology for Probability-Based Recruitment for a Web-Enabled Panel; 2004; Pineau, V., Dennis, J. M.
- Keep Online Surveys Short; 2004; Nielsen, J.
- Methodological Comparison: Telephone vs. Web-based Survey; 2004; Anonymous
- ImageJ; 2003; Rasband, W.
- An Overview of Student Research Web Survey Methodology; 2003; Wahl, K. R.
- WeXtor 2.5: Develop, manage, and visualize experimental designs and procedures; 2002; Reips, U. -D., Blumer, T., Neuhaus, C.
- World Wide Web-gestützte Befragungen in der empirischen Sozialforschung: Ein Erfahrungsbericht; 2002; Pannewitz, J.
- Access Web Surveys; 2002; Presley, K. E.
- The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Research; 2002; Puig, M.
- The Influence of Words, Symbols, Numbers, and Graphics on Answers to Self-Administered Questionnaires...; 2002; Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M.
- Investigating Validity in Web Surveys; 2001; Satmetrix Systems
- A General Introduction to the Design of Questionnaires for Survey Research; 2001; Burgess, T. F.
- Sample Selection and the Internet Survey of American Opinion (ISAO); 2001; VanBeselaere, C.