Web Survey Bibliography
Title The Quality of Survey Questions Published on Slovenian Journalistic Websites
Source Applied Statistics 2005
Access date 12.10.2005
Abstract Media websites regularly publish survey questions on current public opinion issues. The goal of these polls is primarily to entertain the visitors and increase the number of visits. However, these survey questions and offered responses may also somehow shape public awareness and opinion. Therefore, the quality of these survey questions (from the substantive and design point of view) is not to be neglected. We propose to study the quality of survey questions published on Slovenian journalistic websites. We analyze samples of survey questions and answers from several Slovenian journalistic Web sites. The quality of the analyzed survey questions and answers is evaluated using expert evaluation scheme (Designing questionnaires: Checklist. SCB, Statistics Sweden) as one of qualitative methods for evaluating quality of survey questions. The most striking deficiencies of both survey questions and answers are presented and described. We show that the quality of these questions is often low in comparison to professional survey questions used in social science research.
Year of publication2005
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - 2005 (417)
- Inferential Potential of Non-Probability Samples; 2005; Lynn, P.
- Designing and administering successful web surveys; 2005; Porter, S. R.
- Mixed-mode Surveys Using Mail and Web Questionnaires; 2005; Meckel, M., Baugh, P., Walters, D.
- Web Surveys - Online Interviewing (CAWI); 2005; Gourvennec, Y.
- Sampling procedure, questionnaire design, online implementation; 2005; Jackob, N., Arens, J., Zerback, T.Jowell, R.; de Rouvray, C.
- A Report on the 2005 ISSP Non-Response Survey; 2005; Smith, T. W.
- Modes of Data Gathering in International Survey Research; 2005; Diez-Nicolás, J.
- Comparing Mail and Web-Based Survey Distribution Methods: Results of Surveys to Leisure Travel Retailers...; 2005; Cole, S. T.
- Evaluating Distance Education Programs with Online Surveys; 2005; Gaide, S.
- Survey: Communicators seek ethics guidance; 2005; Walker, G. S.
- Implementing web-surveys for software requirements elicitation; 2005; Belani, H., Pripuzic, K., Kobas, K.
- Online surveys: Possible sources of errors; 2005; Galesic, M.
- Capturing them in the Web: the use of online surveys and the examination of response patterns for first...; 2005; Bond, D.
- Testing for budget constraint effects in a national advisory referendum survey on the Kyoto protocol; 2005; Li, H., Berrens, R. P., Bohara, A. K., Jenkins-Smith, H. C., Silva, C. L., Weimer, D. L.
- Do internet-based surveys increase personal self-disclosure?; 2005; Hanna, R. C., Weinberg, B., Dant, R. P., Berger, P. D.
- All that Glitters is Not Gold: Examining the Perils and Obstacles in Collecting Data on the Internet; 2005; Siah, C. Y.
- The online or e-survey: a research approach for the ICT age; 2005; Glover, D., Bush, T.
- Sexual and Relationship Characteristics Among an Internet-Based Sample of U.S. Men with and without...; 2005; Cameron, A., Rosen, R. C., Swindle, R. W.
- Online-Questionnaire Design: Establishing Guidelines and Evaluating Existing Support; 2005; Lumsden, J., Morgan, W.
- Technology Trends in Survey Data Collection; 2005; Couper, M. P.
- The Status of Wireless Survey Solutions: The Emerging “Power of the Thumb”; 2005; Townsend, L.
- Computers and the Internet: Tools for Youth Empowerment; 2005; Valaitis, R. K.
- Online-Access-Panels Based on Probability Samples: Can they Yield Representative Results?; 2005; Bandilla, W.
- Simple Approaches to Estimating the Variance of the Propensity Score Weighted Estimator Applied on Volunteer...; 2005; Isaksson, A., Lee, Sunghee; de Rouvray, C.
- Adjustment of Web Panel Survey Estimates by Regression Imputation; 2005; Varedian, M.
- Web surveys: inference using weighting and imputation in the survey on graduates; 2005; Biffignandi, S., Fabrizi, E., Pratesi, M., Salvati, N.
- Web surveying academics in seven European countries: challenges encountered; 2005; Smeenk, S., van Selm, M., Eisinga, R.
- Web Data Collection for Mandatory Business Surveys – the respondents’ perspective; 2005; Dowling, Z.
- Response Rates and Data Quality Issues in a Mixed Mode Survey About the Diffusion of the E-Business...; 2005; Biffignandi, S., Fabrizi, E., Zucchi, F., Toninelli, D.
- On the Cost-Efficiency of Mixed-Mode Data Collection with a Web Response Option: Results of a Survey...; 2005; Werner, P., Forsman, G.
- Stated Preference Surveys on Internet – an Effective Method for Finding Passengers’ Preferences...; 2005; Nossum, A.
- Privacy and Self disclosure online: Implications for web-surveys; 2005; Paine, C., Joinson, A. N., Buchanan, T., Reips, U. -D.
- Using Internet-based experiments to study conditions for Web-based surveying; 2005; Reips, U. -D.
- Mixed mode data collection strategies in surveys: An overview; 2005; de Leeuw, E. D.
- In pursuit of equivalent answers to internet and telephone questionnaires; 2005; Dillman, D. A.
- Effects of survey data collection mode on response quality: Implications for mixing modes in cross-national...; 2005; Krosnick, J. A.
- A theoretical framework for the study of mode effects; 2005; Saris, W. E., Voogt, R.
- Mixed mode methods in a world of social isolates, pervasive surveillance, and ubiquitous transaction...; 2005; Groves, R. M.
- The Survey Participation Inventory: What Motivates Respondents to Participate in Online Panels?; 2005; Deutskens, E., de Ruyter, K., Wetzels, M.
- Mode dilemmas in cross-national survey time-series; 2005; Jowell, R.
- The use of material and nonmaterial incentives in Web-based studies: A review; 2005; Goeritz, A.
- Using Computer Games Design to Increase Response Rates; 2005; Baelter, O.
- Do reminders minimize nonresponse at the expense of data quality? An investigation into the effect of...; 2005; Tuten, T. L.
- Nonresponse segments in Internet surveys; 2005; Vehovar, V., Lavtar, D.
- Using Client Side Paradata as Process Quality Indicators in Web Surveys; 2005; Haraldsen, G.
- Use of eye-tracking for studying survey response processes; 2005; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Galesic, M.
- The Quality of Ego-Centered Network Data: A comparison of online versus offline data collection; 2005; Matzat, U.
- A meta-analysis of response rates in Web surveys compared to other survey modes; 2005; Lozar Manfreda, K., Bosnjak, M., Haas, I., Vehovar, V.
- Some Influences of Visual Layout on Answers to Web Surveys; 2005; Dillman, D. A.
- Effects of questionnaire length on quality of responses in web surveys; 2005; Galesic, M.