Web Survey Bibliography
Title All that Glitters is Not Gold: Examining the Perils and Obstacles in Collecting Data on the Internet
Author Siah, C. Y.
Source International Negotiation, 10, 1, pp. 115-130
Database Ingenta Select
Access date 30.10.2005
Abstract The speed, ease and cost of conducting an internet-based study has attracted an increasingly large number of researchers to the medium for data collection. The lure of conducting research on the internet warrants heightened awareness of the practical problems one may encounter in the course of design and data collection. Researchers should also be attuned to the various threats of reliability and validity that may affect the quality of their data. This article surveys the past literature and identifies four main areas of concern in internet-based research: (1) sampling error and generalizability; (2) subject fraud; (3) measurement errors resulting from extraneous factors, and (4) the ethics of conducting research on the internet. Before carrying out their research on the internet, researchers should carefully weigh the sometimes hidden costs against the obvious benefits to consider whether the results obtained will be seriously compromised by the problems currently existing with this relatively new medium. However, a more productive approach recognizes that this research method is here to stay and thus greater attention needs to be given to refining and clearing the hurdles that internet-based researchers currently face.
Access/Direct link Database (abstract)
Year of publication2005
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Online measurement (798)
- Sampling v. Scale: An investigation the tension between convenience sampling, response rates, probability...; 2011; Garland, P.
- Using Amazon's Mechanical Turk for the recruitment of participants in Internet-based research; 2011; Reips, U. -D., Buffardi, L., Kuhlmann, T.
- Should we use the progress bar in online surveys? A meta-analysis of experiments manipulating progress...; 2011; Callegaro, M., Yang, Y., Villar, A.
- In the market for an online panel? What clients need to know; 2011; Hartmann, S.
- How Procter & Gamble worked to develop online data quality guidelines; 2011; Gloeckler, D.
- Web/Cloud Based CATI Using queXS; 2011; Zammit, A.
- Developing Paradata Tools to Maximize Call Center Conversion Rates; 2011; Heinrich, T., Pittman, J., Abu, K.
- e-Collection at Statistics Canada; 2011; Faid, M.
- Developing and Implementing Adaptive Total Design (ATD); 2011; Carley-Baxter, L. R., Mitchell, S., Peytchev, A., Day, O.
- Partnership-Driven Resources to Improve and Enhance Research (PRIMER): A Survey of Community-Engaged...; 2011; Dolor, R. J., Greene, S. M., Thompson, E., Baldwin, L.-M., Neale, A. V.
- Examination of a ’Web Mode Effect’. An Experimental Comparison of Web and Paper Based Surveys...; 2011; Shamshiri-Petersen, D., Clement, S. L.
- The Changing Face of Trust in Health Websites; 2011; Sillence, L., Mo, P., Briggs, P., Harris, P. R.
- Internet & Learning: A Decade of Transformation in Learning Practices; 2011; Haythornthwaite, C., Andrews, R., Jones, C., de Castell, S., Goodfellow, R., Jewitt, C., Barton, D.
- Quantifying Open-Ended Responses: Results from an Online Advertising Tracking Survey; 2011; Jacobe, A., Brewer, L., Vakalia, F., Turner, S., Marsh, S. M.
- Statistical methods for reducing bias in web surveys; 2011; Lee, M. H.
- Agree-Disagree Response Format versus Importance Judgment; 2011; Krebs, D.
- Errors within web-based surveys: a comparison between two different tools for the analysis of tourist...; 2011; Polizzi, G., Oliveri, A. M.
- Benefits of Structured DDI Metadata across the Data Lifecycle: The STARDAT Project at the GESIS Data...; 2011; Linne, M., Brislinger, E., Zenk-Moeltgen, W.
- Microdata Information System MISSY; 2011; Bohr, J.,
- The Use of Structured Survey Instrument Metadata throughout the Data Lifecycle; 2011; Hansen, S. E.
- DDI and the Lifecycle of Longitudinal Surveys; 2011; Hoyle, L., Wackerow, J.
- Dissemination of survey (meta)data in the LISS data archive; 2011; Streefkerk, M., Elshout, S.
- Does the direction of Likert-type scales influence response behavior in web surveys?; 2011; Keusch, F.
- Cross-country Comparisons: Effects of Scale Type and Response Style Differences; 2011; Thomas, R. K.
- Explaining more variance with visual analogue scales: A Web experiment; 2011; Funke, F.
- Cognitive process in answering questions: Are verbal labels in rating scales attended to?; 2011; Menold, N., Kaczmirek, L., Lenzner, T.
- Cognitive interviewing in web surveys: the use of probing questions in cross-national web surveys; 2011; Behr, D., Braun, M., Kaczmirek, L., Bandilla, W.
- The impact of monetary incentives on completion and data quality in online surveys; 2011; van Veen, F., Goeritz, A., Sattler, S.
- The role of visual and aural stimuli in producing mode effects on answers to survey questions; 2011; Lynn, P., Hope, S., Campanelli, P., Nandi, A., Nicolaas, G., Jaeckle, A.
- Causes of Mode Effects on Survey Measurement ; 2011; Lynn, P., Campanelli, P., Nicolaas, G., Hope, S., Nandi, A., Jaeckle, A.
- Exploring use of information in paradata through calibration method to detect and adjust non-response...; 2011; Billiet, J. Matsuo, H.
- Assessment of propensity score methods on nonresponse bias adjustment; 2011; Alanya, A., Billiet, J., Matsuo, H.
- Ethical Dilemmas in Dealing with Web Paradata; 2011; Couper, M. P., Singer, E.
- A Web Survey Program Based on Computer Technology and Its Application to Evaluation Model about Youth...; 2011; Song, M., Song, Y-G., Yang, T.
- Conceptualizing the value of Web content in marketing research; 2011; Chang, J.
- Image effects on online survey respondents; 2011; Marinica, B.
- Measuring User Satisfaction in the Lab: Questionnaire Mode, Physical Location, and Social Presence Concerns...; 2011; Jans, M., Romano, J. C., Ashenfelter, K. T., Krosnick, J. A.
- Race-of-Virtual-Interviewer Effects; 2011; Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F., Nielsen, D.
- Analyzing Paradata as a Form of Post-hoc "Remote" Usability Testing: Initial Results From...; 2011; Ashenfelter, K. T., Jans, M.
- Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: Experimental Results for the Randomized Response Technique (RRT...; 2011; Coutts, E., Jann, B.
- Comparing the Accuracy of RDD Telephone Surveys and Internet Surveys Conducted with Probability and...; 2011; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A., Chang, L. C., Javitz, H. S., Levindusky, M. S., Simpser, A.; Wang, R...
- What it takes to be a top 100 website; 2010
- There is an app for that! A review of smartphone apps for marketing research; 2010; Michelson, M.
- The weirdest people in the world?; 2010; Heine, S. J., Henrich, J., Norenzayan, A.
- Surveying cultures: Discovering shared conceptions and sentiments; 2010; Heise, D. R.
- Research synthesis. AAPOR report on online panels; 2010; Brick, J. M. et al.
- Real ID. State of The Art Representative and Repeatable Online Samples. Behaviorally Profiled Respondents...; 2010; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Paradata: a new data source from web-administered measures; 2010; Sowan, A. K., Jenkins, L. S.
- Overview of data collection methodology; 2010
- Exploring the digital nation. Home broadband internet adoption in the United States; 2010