Web Survey Bibliography
Title All that Glitters is Not Gold: Examining the Perils and Obstacles in Collecting Data on the Internet
Author Siah, C. Y.
Source International Negotiation, 10, 1, pp. 115-130
Database Ingenta Select
Access date 30.10.2005
Abstract The speed, ease and cost of conducting an internet-based study has attracted an increasingly large number of researchers to the medium for data collection. The lure of conducting research on the internet warrants heightened awareness of the practical problems one may encounter in the course of design and data collection. Researchers should also be attuned to the various threats of reliability and validity that may affect the quality of their data. This article surveys the past literature and identifies four main areas of concern in internet-based research: (1) sampling error and generalizability; (2) subject fraud; (3) measurement errors resulting from extraneous factors, and (4) the ethics of conducting research on the internet. Before carrying out their research on the internet, researchers should carefully weigh the sometimes hidden costs against the obvious benefits to consider whether the results obtained will be seriously compromised by the problems currently existing with this relatively new medium. However, a more productive approach recognizes that this research method is here to stay and thus greater attention needs to be given to refining and clearing the hurdles that internet-based researchers currently face.
Access/Direct link Database (abstract)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2005
Web Survey Bibliography - Online measurement (986)
- Guide to social science data preparation. Best practice throughout the data life cycle; 2012
- Google et Médiamétrie créent une audience bimédia; 2012; Gonzales, P.
- Flowing with the mainstream. Is mobile market research finally living up to the hype?; 2012; Townsend, L.
- Online Surveys 2.0; 2012; Elferink, R.
- The Impact of Academic Sponsorship on Online Survey Dropout Rates; 2012; Allen, P. J., Roberts, L. D.
- Snowball Sampling in Online Social Networks; 2012; Raissi, M., Ackland, R.
- Data quality of questions sensitive to social-desirability bias in web surveys; 2012; Lozar Manfreda, K., Zajc, N., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- Online Questionnaires: Development of ‘basic requirements’; 2012; Tries, S., Blanke, K.
- Efficacy of a health-related Facebook social network site on health-seeking behaviors; 2012; Woolley, P., Peterson, M.
- Paradata; 2012; Kreuter, F.
- Modes of Data Collection; 2012; Tourangeau, R.
- Measure the response burden in the Swedish Intrastat system; 2012; Weideskog, F.
- Mode and non-response effects and their treatment; 2012; Chrysanthopoulos, S., Georgostathi, A.
- What can be said about quality in the Central Population Register based on a self-completion survey...; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Pedersen, H. E.
- Improving the quality of complex surveys: The case of the EU Labour Force Survey ; 2012; van der Valk, J.
- The re-engineering of the Structural Earnings survey process: Mixed - Mode data collection and new E...; 2012; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- Between demand and reality: Ensuring efficiency and quality in pretesting questionnaires; 2012; Sattelberger, S., Blanke, K.
- How to provide high data quality in online-questionnaires: Setting guidelines in design; 2012; Tries, S., Nebel, S., Blanke, K.
- Boosting Web pick-up Rates by referring to Compliance Principles ; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Haraldsen, G., Sundvoll, A.
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Developments and the impact of smart technology; 2012; Macer, T.
- How Should Debriefing Be Undertaken in Web-Based Studies? Findings From a Randomized Controlled Trial...; 2012; McCambridge, J., Kypri, K., Wilson, A.
- Better customer in sight in real time; 2012; Macdonald, E., Wilson, H. N., Konus, H.
- An experimental investigation of the effects of noncontingent and contingent incentives in recruiting...; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E., Peugh, J., Charlebois, O., Murakami...
- The Feasibility of Conducting a Web Survey Using Respondent Driven Sampling among Transgenders in the...; 2012; Kappelhof, J.
- The role of topic interest and topic salience in online panel web surveys.; 2012; Keusch, F.
- Multi-Language Multi-Continent B2B Community Panel: How B2B research can effectively span the world; 2012; Morden, M., Accomando, E.
- Can Survey Gaming Techniques Cross Continents? Examining cross cultural reactions to creative questioning...; 2012; Puleston, J.
- Rules of engagement: The war against poorly engaged respondents - guidelines for elimination; 2012; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- WebSM Study: Survey software features overview ; 2012; Vehovar, V.; Cehovin, G.; Kavcic, L.; Lenar, J.
- Web Panels; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Use of Response Propensities; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Weighting Adjustment Techniques; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- The Problem of Self-Selection; 2012; Bethlehem, J.,Biffignandi, S.
- Designing a Web Survey Questionnaire; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Examining Contexts-of-Use for Web-Based and Paper-Based Questionnaires; 2012; Hardré, P. L., Crowson, H. M., Xie, K.
- Probabilistic survey questions and incorrect answers: Retirement income replacement rates; 2012; van Santen, P., Alessie, R., Kalwij, A.
- Survey Quality; 2012; Lyberg, L. E.
- Unit Non-Response Due to Refusal; 2012; Stoop, I.
- Non-Response and Measurement Error; 2012; Billiet, J., Matsuo, H.
- An Overlooked Approach in Survey Research: Total Survey Error; 2012; Bautista, R.
- Data Quality in HIV/AIDS Web-Based Surveys: Handling Invalid and Suspicious Data; 2012; Bauermeister, J. A., Pingel, E., Zimmerman, M., Couper, M. P., Carballo-Diéguez, A., Strecher, V. J.
- Response rates in three opinion surveys performed through online questionnaires in the health setting...; 2012; Aerny Perreten, N., Domínguez-Berjón, M. F., Astray Mochales, J., Esteban-Vasallo, M. D., Blanco Ancos...
- Impact of Fixed Choice Design on Blockmodeling Outcomes; 2012; Znidarsic, A.
- The Mode of Invitation for Web Surveys; 2012; Bandilla, W., Couper, M. P., Kaczmirek, L.
- Disfluencies and Gaze Aversion in Unreliable Responses to Survey Questions; 2012; Schober, M. F., Conrad, F. G., Dijkstra, W., Ongena, Y. P.
- Evaluating Survey Questions: A Comparison of Methods; 2012; Yan, T., Kreuter, F., Tourangeau, R.
- When More Gets You Less: A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Concurrent Web Options on Mail Survey Response...; 2012; Medway, R., Fulton, J.
- Reliable Online Social Network Data Collection; 2012; Abdesslem, F. B., Parris, I., Henderson, T.
- Enhancing Web Surveys With New HTML5 Input Types; 2012; Funke, F.