Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet-Based Surveys to Elicit the Value of Risk Reductions
Author Hojman, P., de Dios Ortúzar, J., Rizzi, L.
Source International Steering Committee for Travel Survey Conferences
Access date 22.02.2006
Full text pdf (49k)
Abstract The widespread use of the Internet in recent years has allowed for a new way of conducting surveys. A survey located in a web page can be a very cost-effective tool for studies in marketing research, environmental economics and transport demand analysis. This type of surveys are inexpensive as respondents are contacted by e-mail and are invited to answer a questionnaire which is reached by means of a hyperlink. Once the survey is answered, responses are automatically saved in a data-base file from where information is available for processing and/or to be used for modelling purposes. We have recently conducted two internet surveys to elicit people’s preferences for improved road safety with encouraging results; the actual surveys can be obse rved at the sites www.ing.puc.cl/~piraguen and www.ing.puc.cl/~phojman. Their central part is a stated choice game in which respondents have to choose among two different routes with different levels of travel time, toll and accident risk. This paper describes how the two web pages were designed with respect to general lay-out, customisation of the stated choice game, respondents feedback and data-gathering. It also address the more delicate issue of the degree of randomness that can be attained in a web-based survey in the context of a developing country. All these issues are analysed in relation to ESOMAR guidelines (http://www.esomar.org/index.php). We finally present some comparative modelling results that serve to assess the quality of the data obtained. Although our results can not be extended to the whole Chilean population, due to the inherent non-random nature of the surveys, they are very illustrative of the fact that people do value safer roads and support the notion that safety should be included in a cost-benefit analysis of road investments. Our results have spawned an incipient debate in the country as to how safety should be considered within a general road infrastructure appraisal framework.
Access/Direct link ISCTSC homepage
Bibliographic typeReports, seminars
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - Costs (497)
- Are telephone Surveys a dying bread. How declining response rates can be explained and resolved; 2009; Degen, M., Obermüller, A., Schielicke, A.-M.
- Lottery Style Incentives and Response Rates to Online Surveys; 2009; Pearson, J., E., Krosnick, J. A.Levine, R. E.
- Factors Contributing to Participation in Web‐based Surveys among Italian University Graduates; 2009; Cimini, C., Girottu, C., Gasperoni, G.
- An innovative open source strategy for the development of electronic questionnaires for statistical...; 2009; Degortes, M., Landriscina, M., Murgia, M.
- The Potential of a Multi-mode Data Collection Design to Reduce non-response bias. The Case of a Survey...; 2009; Sala, E., Lynn, P.
- New developments in survey methodology for official statistics; 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Improving Response Rates in Online Business Surveys by Using CATI; 2009; Höglinger, M., Abraham, M., Arpagaus, J.
- Mixed Modes and Measurement Error: Comparing face-to-face, telephone and web modes ; 2009; Hope, S., Nicolaas, G., Jäckle, A., Lynn, P., Nandi, A., Campanelli, P.
- A comparison of two mixed mode designs: cati-capi and web-cati-capi; 2009; Beukenhorst, D., Wetzels, W.
- Interviewer voice characteristics and productivity in telephone surveys; 2009; Best, H., Bauer, G., Steinkopf, L.
- Standardized recall aids for online life course surveys; 2009; Glasner, T.
- Effectiveness of incentives in mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs; 2009; Lozar Manfreda, K., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- Be mindful of cellphone interviews; 2009; Anonymous
- Preference for Mobile Interview Surveys? Interplay of costs, errors and biases; 2009; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A.
- National readership surveys: Moving from probability face-to-face surveys to Internet panels; 2009; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Petric, I., Sargac, M.
- File transfer with built-in editing features; 2009; Erikson, J.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Galesic, M.
- Use of Web surveys in Official Statistics; 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Pros and Cons of Internet Surveys Compared to Traditional Survey Methods; 2009; Benjamin, G. D.
- Applying theory to structure respondents' stated motivations for participating in web surveys; 2009; Han, V., Albaum, G., Wiley, J. B., Thirkell, P.
- The Collected Works of Robert M. Groves, 6 Book Set (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Groves, R. M.
- How To Get Paid Taking Surveys In Your Spare Time!; 2009; Magwood, R.
- "Paid Surveys" - Get Paid Taking Surveys In Your Spare Time!; 2009; Perreira, D.
- The use of online data-collection in financial services market measurement research : the FRS experience...; 2009; Cooke, M., Watkins, N.
- Usability of Mobile Surveys; 2009; Tarkus, A.
- Implementation of a reaction time tool for brand measurement at Swisscom; 2009; Paar, I., Urbahn, J.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Mirta, G.
- Understanding the willingness to participate in mobile surveys: Exploring the role of hedonic, affective...; 2009; Bosnjak, M., Metzger, G.
- Integrating Mobile Surveys into digital market research: Recommendations for Mobile Panel operation...; 2009; Friedrich-Freksa, M., de Groote, Z., Metzger, G.
- Acceptability of the use of new technologies by interviewees in surveys; 2009; Roux, S., Marchal, P., Armoogum, J.
- Optimising survey costs in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K., Belak, E.
- Analyzing the Cost-Effectiveness of Using Return Receipt and Address Corrections in Mail Surveys; 2009; Stuckey, H. L., Malhotra, N., Sims, B. A., Walters, M. R.
- Effectiveness of incentives in web surveys within mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs...; 2009; Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Representativeness of web surveys to the general public ; 2009; Sonck, N.
- Using Internet survey paradata to optimize survey questionnaire design; 2009; Heerwegh, D.
- Effectiveness of incentives in mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs; 2009; Vehovar, V.; Lozar Manfreda, K.; Berzelak, N.
- "Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment: Balancing costs and errors"; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- Panel Discussion: Industry Sustainability In Light Of Recent Quality Initiatives; 2009; Pearson, C., Shapero, D., Umeh, K., Boen, D.
- Addressing the Cell Phone-Only Problem: Cell Phone Sampling Versus Address Based Sampling; 2009; W., Daily, G., Shuttles, D. C., Bourquin, C., Yancey, L. T.Link, M. W.
- Money talks: non-monetary incentive and Internet administration fail to increase response rates to a...; 2009; Recklitis, C. J., Campbell, E. G., Kutner, J. S., Bober, S. L.
- Developing an Internet-based survey to collect program cost data; 2009; Caffray, C. M., Chatterji, P.
- Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- Towards a flexible online mixed method design with a feedback loop; 2009; Lobe, B., Vehovar, V.
- Effect of incentives and mailing features on online health program enrollment; 2008; Couper, M. P. et al.
- Changing times, changing modes: The future of public opinion polling?; 2008; Terhanian, G.
- Costs and Benefits from Conducting a Supplemental Sample of Cell Phone Numbers in National RDD Surveys...; 2008; Kennedy, C.
- The implications of variation in national data-collection mode access and rates of access change: a...; 2008; Blyth, B.
- What Can We Achieve With 5 Euros? Optimization of Survey Data Quality Using Mixed-Mode Approaches; 2008; Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Nonresponse in web surveys within the context of survey errors and survey costs; 2008; Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Evaluating the Potential Contributions of a Web-based Convenience Sample to the Accuracy of a Probability...; 2008; Elliott, M. N., Haviland, A.