Web Survey Bibliography
Title An Experimental Comparison of Computer-Mediated and Face-to-Face Focus Groups
Source Social Science Computer Review, 21, 4, pp. 506-513
Access date 19.05.2004
Abstract Conducting focus groups via computers is becoming an increasingly popular method for collecting data. The main benefits of Internet-based focus groups include lower-cost, no travel expenses, automatic capture of the discussion data, and the ability to reach remote populations for participation. Although Internet-based focus groups are popular, little research has been done to compare the quantity and quality of the information obtained from traditional face-to-face groups and computer-based focus groups. This study compared the quantity and quality of information gained from face-to-face and two computer-based focus group conditions. Results indicated conducting focus groups using a computer produces similar amounts of information. Most important, the quality of the information obtained from computer-based focus groups is not significantly different from information obtained from face-to-face groups. Varying levels of social interaction to cause different levels of perceived social presence did not produce differences in the quality or quantity of information.
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2003
Web Survey Bibliography - 2003 (403)
- Mail and Internet Surveys (Book); 2003; Zimmerman, D. E.
- Web sites pay you to sound off about consumer issues; 2003; Anonymous
- Improving Your Psychology Faculty Home Page: Results of a Student-Faculty Online Survey; 2003; Palmiter Jr., D., Renjilian, D.
- Quantum Performance Solutions Becomes PeriscopeIQ; 2003; Anonymous
- Surfing citizens and floating voters: Results of an online survey of visitors to political web sites...; 2003; Boogers, M., Voerman, G.
- Conducting Web-based survey research: a lesson in Internet designs; 2003; Daley, E. M., McDermott, R. J., Brown, K. R. M., Kittleson, M. J.
- Charity Fund Raisers Rate Software in Online Survey; 2003; Wallace, N.
- What users want in e-commerce design: effects of age, education and income; 2003; Lightner, N. J.
- Key Installs Web-based Survey Tool; 2003; Wagner, V.
- Usage and impact of a teaching hospital virtual library; 2003; Sidlofsky, M., Tripp, T., Bayne, J. M.
- Social support and health among senior Internet users: results of an online survey; 2003; Noel, J. G., Epstein, J.
- Opinions and e-health behaviours of patients and health professionals in the U.S.A. and Europe; 2003; Provost, M., Perri, M., Baujard, V., Boyer, C.
- The British and their use of the Web for health information and advice: a survey; 2003; Nicholas, D., Huntington, P., Gunter, B., Withey, R., Russell, C.
- The more you know; 2003; Arnold, C.
- Use of a web site to increase knowledge and awareness of hunger-related issues; 2003; Jennings, S., Cotugna, N., Vickery, C. E.
- Presenting and Monitoring a Gender-Defined Self on the Internet; 2003; Samp, J. A., Wittenberg, E. M., Gillett, D. L.
- WebSurveyor 4.1 gets more out of data; 2003; Rapoza, J.
- Readers Rate: Appointee Bonuses; 2003; Anonymous
- Best practices in employee surveying: A practitioner's perspective; 2003; Jepsen, D. M., Langford, P.
- Opinions to Spare? Click Here; 2003; Jackson, N. B.
- Information-seeking behavior in complementary and alternative medicine (CAM): an online survey of faculty...; 2003; Owen, D. J., Fang, M. E.
- Online Surveys for the Small-Staff Association; 2003; Mandel, M.
- Companies save time, money with online surveys; 2003; Bannan, K. J.
- Exploring motivations for consumer Web use and their implications for e-commerce; 2003; Joines, J. L., Scherer, C. W., Scheufele, D. A.
- Extending the capabilities of Internet-based research: lessons from the field; 2003; Tingling, P., Parent, M., Wade, M.
- Designing, implementing, and evaluating an educational digital library resource; 2003; Che Kassim, A. R., Kochtanek, T. R.
- Web accessible databases for electronic resource collections: a case study and its implications; 2003; Cohen, L. B., Calsada, M. M.
- Super Searchers on Madison Avenue: Top Advertising and Marketing Professionals Share Their Online Research...; 2003; Avellana Villamora, G.
- "Focus groups in cyberspace": using the Internet for qualitative research; 2003; O' Connor, H., Madge, C.
- A method for evaluating workplace utility; 2003; Pinder, J., Price, I., Wilkinson, S. J., Demack, S.
- Identifying key factors affecting consumer purchase behavior in an online shopping context; 2003; Park, C. -H., Kim, Y. -G.
- Differentiating between service quality and relationship quality in cyberspace; 2003; Keating, B., Rugimbana, R., Quazi, A.
- Waiting online: a review and research agenda; 2003; Ryan, G., Valverde, M.
- Internet based marketing research: a serious alternative to traditional research methods?; 2003; Wilson, A., Laskey, N.
- Methodological Rigor And Ethical Considerations In Internet-Mediated Research; 2003; Mathy, R. M., Kerr, D. L., Haydin, B. M.
- Issues in Internet research; 2003; Im, E. O., Chee, W.
- Inquisite gives polls power; 2003; Chen, A.
- Web Surveys - Benefits and Considerations; 2003; Dominelli, A.
- Web-Based And Mail Surveys: A Comparison Of Response, Data And Cost; 2003; Griffis, S. E., Goldsby, T. J., Cooper, M.
- Using Web Surveys To Reach Community College Students: An Analysis of Response Rates and Response Bias...; 2003; Sax, L. J., Gilmartin, S. K., Lee, J. J., Hagedorn, L. S.
- Web Surveys as a Source of Nonresponse Explication; 2003; Montez, J.
- Guidelines for Designing a Web-Delivered College Health Risk Behavior Survey: Lessons Learned From the...; 2003; Pealer, L. N., Weiler, R. M.
- A Comparison of the Psychometric Qualities of Surveys Administered by Web and Traditional Methods; 2003; Mertler, C. A., Earley, M. A.
- The Impact of Customer Trust and Perception of Security Control on the Acceptance of Electronic Commerce...; 2003; Suh, B., Han, I.
- Easy Web Survey Profiles Users; 2003; King, N.
- Easy as e-mail; 2003; Johnson, H.
- Inquisite simplifies Web survey creation for nontechnical users; 2003; Petersen, S.
- Validating Internet research: A test of the psychometric equivalence of Internet and in-person samples...; 2003; Meyerson, P., Tryon, W. W.
- Web-based research: Methodological variables' effects on dropout and sample characteristics; 2003; O'Neil, K. M., Penrod, S. D., Bornstein, B. H.
- An Overview of Student Research Web Survey Methodology; 2003; Wahl, K. R.