Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet Research Tracings: Towards Non-Reductionist Methodology
Author Dahlberg, L.
Source Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 9, 3
Access date 20.05.2004
Full text doc (114k)
Abstract Internet research has become a "field" in its own right in the social sciences, already boasting a number of peer-reviewed journals, a plethora of book titles, and an international association that draws hundreds of researchers from across the globe to its annual conference. This paper contributes to this burgeoning field at a meta-methodological level by considering what is needed to achieve non-reductionist understandings of the Internet. It shows how Internet research perspectives draw upon various established media and technology research traditions. These can be grouped according to their emphasis upon three different aspects of determination influencing media technology outcomes: uses, where the instrumental use of the artifact is brought to the fore; technological, where the form of media technology is focused upon; and social, where the structuring of outcomes by social determinants is central. Consideration of the research traditions emphasizing each of these aspects gives access to previously recognized strengths and weaknesses associated with each. In particular, my critical examination highlights how each perspective can fall into overly deterministic arguments: instrumentalist, technological determinist, and social determinist. As such, I argue that to gain non-reductionist understandings of the Internet, research ideally needs to take into account the complex interplay between multiple constituting elements. I point to a number of existing media technology approaches that can help with this task. However, I also acknowledge the limitations placed on research by resource constraints and recognize that researchers may wish to follow a particular tradition and focus on a single determination. I argue that these researchers must at least recognize the multi-dimensionality of determination, and be reflexive about the limits of their approaches, methods, and findings.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Year of publication2004
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Other (471)
- International Guidelines on Computer-Based and Internet-Delivered Testing; 2006
- Online community survey: an effectiveness measure for revealing citizen preferences in their role as...; 2006; Martin Juanil, D., Ismail, M.
- Internet Science and Open Access: First Day of a Honeymoon ; 2006; Reips, U. -D., Matzat, U.
- The Mode Effect: A Literature Review of Human and Technological Issues in Computerized Testing; 2006; Leeson, H. V.
- Gaining synergy through multi-method research A Nokia Trends case study; 2006; Casas, I., Peña, G., Pérez-Galán, C.
- Response rates: Avoiding the red herrings; 2006; Postoaca, A.
- Social class and life style differences between modes of data collection; 2006; Schillewaert, N., Verhaeghe, A., Weijters, B., De Wulf, K.
- Perceptions of News Credibility about the War in Iraq: Why War Opponents Perceived the Internet as the...; 2006; Choi, J.H., Watt, J.H., Lynch, M.
- The Internet and Anti-War Activism: A Case Study of Information, Expression, and Action; 2006; Nah, S., Veenstra, A.S., Shah, D. V.
- Web-based data collection in China; 2006; Davison, R. M., Li, Y., Kam, C. S. P.
- Encuestas a empleados a través de Internet: Conceptos y descubrimientos; 2006; Reips, U. -D.
- An Application of E-mail Suvey Using a Word Form; 2006; Graeml, A. R., Csillag, J. M.
- An Experimental Study on the Effects of Personalization, Survey Length Statements, Progress Indicators...; 2006; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Response Order Effects in International Online Surveys; 2006; Thomas, R. K., Greenfield, S., Bremer, J.
- Regular events in travel behaviour research: setup of a longitudinal websurvey; 2006; Cools, M., Moons, E., Wets, G.
- Do print and Web surveys provide the same results?; 2006; Huang, H. -M.
- An investigation of the effect of lotteries on web survey response rates; 2006; Heerwegh, D.
- A National Web-Based Survey of Sunscreen Products as a Tool for Industry Self-Regulation, Consumer Awareness...; 2006; Summers, B., Summers, R. S., Muller, E.
- Mobile vs. Fixed-line Surveys in Hong Kong; 2006; Bacon-Shone, J., Lau, L.
- Reliability and validity of egocentered network data collected via web: A meta-analysis of multilevel...; 2006; Coromina, L., Coenders, G.
- Developing and validating a nursing website evaluation questionnaire; 2005; Tsai, S. - L., Chai, S.-K.
- The Web experiment list: A Web service for the recruitment of participants and archiving of Internet...; 2005; Reips, U. -D., Lengler, R.
- Survey of substance use among high school students in Taipei: Web-based questionnaire versus paper-and...; 2005; Wang, Y. C., Lee, C. M., Lew-Ting, C. Y., Hsiao, C. K., Chen, W. J.
- Digital Video as Research Practice: Methodology for the Millennium; 2005; Shrum, W., Duque, R., Brown, T.
- Thoughts on Internet Research in Europe; 2005; Harris Interactive
- Measuring Perceived and Actual Response Burden in Business Surveys; 2005; Dale, T., Haraldsen, G., Jones, J., Hedlin, D.
- Web survey design for predicting performance using network questions; 2005; Coromina, L.
- Expert Appraisals of BusinessWeb Survey Applications; 2005; Haraldsen, G.
- Sampling procedure, questionnaire design, online implementation; 2005; Jackob, N., Arens, J., Zerback, T.Jowell, R.; de Rouvray, C.
- Implementing web-surveys for software requirements elicitation; 2005; Belani, H., Pripuzic, K., Kobas, K.
- Online surveys: Possible sources of errors; 2005; Galesic, M.
- Web surveying academics in seven European countries: challenges encountered; 2005; Smeenk, S., van Selm, M., Eisinga, R.
- Stated Preference Surveys on Internet – an Effective Method for Finding Passengers’ Preferences...; 2005; Nossum, A.
- Multimodal method for data collection in complex marketing research and business intelligence; 2005; Klicek, B. F., Begicevic, N., Geric, S.
- Effect of Background, Motivational and Social Network Variables on Academic Performance of PhD Students...; 2005; Guia, J., Coromina, L., Coenders, G.
- Conducting representative online research. A summary of five years of learnings; 2005; Stenbjerre, M., Laugesen, J. N.
- Using a World Wide Web Survey to Obtain Marketing Information for Business Decisions: A Comparison with...; 2005; Medlin, C., Subroto, R., Theong, H. C.
- The analysis of antecedents of customer loyalty in the Turkish mobile telecommunication market; 2005; Serkan, A., Goekhan, Oe.
- Marketing orientation in the European Union mobile telecommunication market; 2005; Kurtinaitiene, J.
- Comparability of Data Gathered from Evaluation Questionnaires on Paper and Through the Internet; 2005; Leung, D., Kember, D.
- E-mail and mixed mode database surveys revisited: Exploratory analyses of factors affecting response...; 2005; Roy, A., Berger, P. D.
- European Environmental NGOs: Issues, Resources and Strategies in Marine Campaigns; 2005; Richards, J. P., Heard, J.
- Persuasiveness on the Internet: Factors influencing participation in Web survey; 2005; Zajac, J.
- Do not touch data from late-received online questionnaires: Analysis of late responder in a closed-pool...; 2005; Stieger, S., Voracek, M.
- Lessons From An Online Experiment; 2005; Loewe, G., Read, D., Airoldi, M.
- Exploring users' attitudes and intentions toward the web as a survey tool; 2005; Huang, H. -M., Liaw, S. S.
- Segmenting Internet shoppers based on their Web-usage-related lifestyle: a cross-cultural validation; 2005; Brengman, M., Geuens, M., Weijters, B., Smith, S. M., Swinyard, W. R.
- Response and Field Period Effects: The Effect of Time in Online Market Research and Consequences for...; 2004; Basso Larsen, R., Rathod, S.
- Response effects in Europe; 2004; Basso Larsen, R., Rathod, S.
- Short Web-based versions of the perceived stress (PSS) and Center for Epidemiological Studies-Depression...; 2004; Herrero, J., Meneses, J.