Web Survey Bibliography
Title Variables influencing dropout rates in Web-based surveys
Author MacElroy, B.
Access date 20.05.2004
Abstract The popularity of conducting research online has prompted many questions regarding the impact of various conditions under which surveys are conducted. In particular, the interaction between length of survey (both in terms of time and number of questions) and incentive (either total incentive offered as a prize package or the approximate value of the incentive on an individual basis) has been thought to influence the number and proportion of mid-survey abandoners. This article will discuss the findings from 19 Web-based studies conducted from January 1 to April 25.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Year of publication2000
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Solicitations & incentives (606)
- Achieving high response rates on web-based surveys of post-secondary students; 2003; Nichols, L.B., Ghadialy, R.
- The Effects of Cash, Electronic, and Paper Gift Certificates as Respondent Incentives for a Web-Based...; 2003; Birnholtz, J. P., Horn, D. B., Finholt, T. A., Bae, S. J.
- Exploring Online Survey Metodologies: Who are the Respondents and How to Get them to respond; 2003; Wolter-Warmerdam, K., Gardinali, A.P., Wong, R.
- Can What We Don’t Know (about “Don’t Know”) Hurt Us?: Effects of Item Non-response...; 2003; Krosnick, J. A., Behnke, C. S., Lafond, C.R., Thomas, R. K.
- Partipation in Online Surveys: Results from a Series of Experiments; 2003; Kiniorski, A. K., Smith, M. R.
- Propensity score and calibration as bias reducing techniques in surveys based on Internet panels: application...; 2003; Johansson, C., Lorenc, B.
- Effects of sponsor identity and perceived data security on response rates and data quality; 2003; Davis, B., Levin, K., O'Brien, J., Wang, A., Gordon, A., Shipp, S.
- The Impact of Lottery Incentives on Student Survey Response Rates; 2003; Whitcomb, M. E., Porter, S. R.
- Patterns of Response and Nonresponse from Teachers to Traditional and Web Surveys; 2003; Mertler, C. A.
- A Methodology for the Administration of a Web-Based Questionnarie; 2003; Antunes, M. J., Castro, E., Mealha, O.
- Survey Automation: Report and Workshop Proceedings; 2003; Tourangeau, R.
- E-Research: Ethics, security, design, and control in psychological research on the Internet; 2002; Banaji, M., Greenwald, A., Nosek, B.
- The use of incentives to reduce nonresponse household surveys; 2002; Singer, E.
- Private e-mail requests and the diffusion of responsibility; 2002; Barron, G., Yechiam, E.
- Conducting Online Research; 2002; Hogg, A.
- Technology and the Customer Interface: What Consumers Want in the Physical and Virtual Store; 2002; Burke, R. R.
- Multi-mode research dos and don'ts; 2002; Hogg, A.
- Effective recruitment and retention for online surveys; 2002; Freeman, K.
- An Evaluation of Nonresponse Bias in Internet Surveys Conducted Using the Knowledge Networks Panel; 2002; Seryakova, K., Dennis, J. M., Huggins, V. J.
- Assessment of Mode-Effects in a Web-enabled Study of Civic Attitudes; 2002; Laird, G., Wiebe, E. F., Thalji, L., Pulliam, P.
- Using Internet-Based Surveys To Measure Customer Satisfaction; 2002; Salvucci, S., Parker, A., Wenck, S., Peng, S., Goldstein, A.
- An Experiment Comparing Computer-Assisted and Paper Modes of Data Collection for the Short Form in Census...; 2002; Schneider, S. J., Cantor, D., Malakhoff, L., Arieira, C., Segel, P., Nguyen, L., Guarino, J. A.
- Incentive Survey Finds Uncertainties; 2002; Anonymous
- Elections and Public Polling: Will the Media Get Online Polling Right?; 2002; Johnson, D. W.
- Panel attrition in relation to different kinds of incentives; 2002; Hemsing, W., Mueller, J., Graef, L.
- Can item nonresponse be reduced through conditional gratification?; 2002; Goeritz, A.
- Online Social Sciences; 2002; Batinic, B., Reips, U. -D., Bosnjak, M.
- Contact Measurement in the WWW; 2002; Werner, A.
- Conducting Research Surveys via E-mail and the Web; 2002; Schonlau, M., Elliot, M. N., Fricker, R. D.
- From Mail to Web: Improving Response Rates and Data Collection Efficiencies; 2002; Crawford, S. D., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Boyd, C. J.
- Methods of Internet data collection and implications for recruiting respondents; 2002; Roos, M.
- Use of Pre-incentives in an Internet Survey; 2002; Downes-Le Guin, T., Janowitz, P., Stone, R., Khorram, S.
- Innovations in Survey Research: An Application of Web-Based Surveys; 2002; Sills, S.J., Song, C.
- Online survey techniques: Current issues and future trends; 2002; Comley, P.
- Online Longitudinal Survey Research: Viability and Participation; 2002; Hiskey, S., Troop, N.A.
- Online Surveys and Internet Research; 2002; Comley, P.
- Online persuasion strategies; 2002; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Survey Design Features Influencing Response Rates in Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Prepaid and Promised Incentives in Web Surveys: An Experiment; 2002; Bosnjak, M., Tuten, T. L.
- Improving Unit-Nonresponse Error Correction in Online Surveys Using Multi-Dimensional Response Models...; 2002; Lukawetz, G.
- Online Research Methodology: Reflections and Speculations; 2002; Sheehan, K. B.
- Web-based Survey versus Conventional Survey. The Malaysian Experience in Conducting the Internet Subscriber...; 2002; Asha, R. P.
- Recruiting respondents for web surveys: random and other samples; 2002; Schonlau, M.
- Successful Recruitment for Online Access Panels; 2002; Goeritz, A.
- Lessons Learned from the Administration of a Web-Based Survey; 2001; Mertler, C. A.
- On-line student feedback: A pilot study ; 2001; Galbraith, L. B., Gee, P., Jennings, F., Riley, R.
- Online Data Collection With Special Populations Over the World Wide Web; 2001; Marcell, M. M., Falls, A. L.
- Comparing Two Survey Approaches: Web and Traditional Mail; 2001; Howes, C. M., Mailloux, M. R.
- Chinese online consumers' responses to web-based data collection efforts: A comparison with American...; 2001; Zhang, Y., Wang, C. C. L., Chen, J. Q.
- When money doesn't talk; 2001; Funk, S., McCallum-Keeler, G.