Web Survey Bibliography
Attempts to interview the general population using cell phones have revealed underlying weaknesses. Noncoverage is severe because all persons who rely solely on fixedline telephones are excluded. Nonresponse stemming from the difficulty of contacting potential respondents and convincing them to participate also increases. Only the spread of mobile technology will remedy noncoverage. This article presents the results of an experiment that tests the effectiveness of sending text messages to improve non-response. The results give little support to our hypothesis that sending an advance text message would make contacting respondents easier. Other outcome rates do show positive effects. We also discovered that the act of sending the text message provided valuable data about the sample unit. This outside information, similar to the information traditional telephone surveys obtain from directories, indicates whether a mobile number is in service and allows researchers to adapt their calling rules to achieve greater efficiency.
Journal (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Steeh, C. G. (13)
- Evaluation of Sample Designs for Telephone Surveys That Include Cell Phones; 2008; Steeh, C. G.
- Accommodating New Technologies: Mobile and VoIP Communication; 2008; Piekarski, L., Steeh, C. G.
- Using Text Messages in U.S. Mobile Phone Surveys ; 2007; Steeh, C. G., Buskirk, T. D., Callegaro, M.
- Fitting disposition codes to mobile phone surveys: experiences from studies in Finland, Slovenia and...; 2007; Callegaro, M., G., Buskirk, T. D., Vehovar, V., Kuusela, V., Piekarski, L. G.Steeh, C. G.
- Estimating the Working Number Rate for a Cellular Telephone Survey; 2005; Steeh, C. G., Hu, Z.
- Quality Assessed: Cellular Phone Surveys versus Traditional Telephone Surveys; 2005; Steeh, C. G.
- Is It the Young and the Restless Who Only Use Cellular Phones?; 2004; Steeh, C. G.
- A New Era for Telephone Surveys; 2004; Steeh, C. G.
- Text 2 U: Contacting wireless subscribers using text messaging and wireless web for mobile phone surveys...; 2004; Buskirk, T. D., Callegaro, M., Steeh, C. G.
- Calculating outcome rates for mobile phone surveys. A proposal of a modified AAPOR standard and its...; 2004; Callegaro, M., Buskirk, T. D., Piekarski, L., Kuusela, V., Vehovar, V., Steeh, C. G.
- DO NOT CALL: Alternatives for Contacting Wireless Subscribers for Mobile Phone Surveys; 2004; Buskirk, T. D., Callegaro, M., Steeh, C. G..
- R U There? Using Text Messaging as a method of contact in Wireless; 2004; Buskirk, T. D., Steeh, C. G.
- Surveys Using Cellular Telephones: A Feasibility Study; 2003; Steeh, C. G.