Web Survey Bibliography
While nonresponse rates in household surveys are increasing in most industrialized nations, the increasing rates do not always produce nonresponse bias in survey estimates. The linkage between nonresponse rates and nonresponse bias arises from the presence of a covariance between response propensity and the survey variables of interest. To understand the covariance term, researchers must think about the common influences on response propensity and the survey variable. Three variables appear to be especially relevant in this regard: interest in the survey topic, reactions to the survey sponsor, and the use of incentives. A set of randomized experiments tests whether those likely to be interested in the stated survey topic participate at higher rates and whether nonresponse bias on estimates involving variables central to the survey topic is affected by this. The experiments also test whether incentives disproportionately increase the participation of those less interested in the topic. The experiments show mixed results in support of these key hypotheses.
Journal Homepage (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Groves, R. M. (30)
- An Examination of Within-Person Variation in Response Propensity over the Data Collection Field Period...; 2012; Olson, K., Groves, R. M.
- Three Era's of Survey Research; 2011; Groves, R. M.
- Total Survey Error: past, present, and future; 2010; Groves, R. M., Lyberg, L. E.
- Total Survey Error: Past, Present, Future; 2009; Groves, R. M.
- The Presentation of a Web Survey, Nonresponse and Measurement Error among Members of Web Panel; 2009; Tourangeau, R., Groves, R. M., Kennedy, C., Yan, T.
- Use of Paradata to Manage a Field Data Collection; 2009; Groves, R. M., Axinn, W., Lepkowski, J. M., Kirgis, N., Mosher, W.
- The Collected Works of Robert M. Groves, 6 Book Set (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Groves, R. M.
- Survey Methodology (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Groves, R. M., Fowler, F. J., Couper, M. P., Lepkowski, J. M., Singer, E., Tourangeau, R.
- Experiments Exploring the Relationship (or Lack Thereof) Between Nonresponse Error and Measurement Error...; 2008; Tourangeau, R., Groves, R. M., Presser, S., Toppe, C., Kennedy, K., Yan, T.,
- Multiplicity-Based Sampling for the Mobile Telephone Population: Coverage, Nonresponse, and Measurement...; 2008; Tortora, R. D., Groves, R. M., Peytcheva, E.
- Survey Respondent Incentives: Research and Practice; 2008; Groves, R. M., Harris-Kojetin, L., Kulka, R. A., Mooney, G.
- The Impact of Nonresponse Rates on Nonresponse Bias; 2008; Groves, R. M., Peytcheva, E.
- Risk of Disclosure, Perceptions of Risk, and Concerns about Privacy and Confidentiality as Factors in...; 2008; Couper, M. P., Singer, E., Conrad, F. G., Groves, R. M.
- Experiments in Producing Nonresponse Bias ; 2006; Groves, R. M., Couper, M. P., Presser, S., Singer, E., Tourangeau, R., Piani Acosta, G., Nelson, L.
- Nonresponse Rates and Nonresponse Bias in Household Surveys; 2006; Groves, R. M.
- Mixed mode methods in a world of social isolates, pervasive surveillance, and ubiquitous transaction...; 2005; Groves, R. M.
- Survey Errors and Survey Costs (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2004; Groves, R. M.
- An Experimental Comparison of Three Modes of Data Collection Within the Eurobarometer Measurement Domain...; 2004; Peytcheva, E., Groves, R. M., Manchin, R., Tortora, R. D.
- Comparing Face to Face, Telephone, Paper Self-Administered, and Web Survey Measurement; 2004; Tortora, R. D., Groves, R. M., Peytcheva, E., Manchin, R.
- Survey Automation: Report and Workshop Proceedings; 2003; Cohen, M. L., Groves, R. M., Kalsbeek, W., Cork, D. L.
- Telephone Survey Methodology; 2001; Groves, R. M., Biemer, P. P., Lyberg, L. E., Massey, J. T., Nicholls II, W. L., Waksberg, J.
- Survey Nonresponse; 2001; Groves, R. M., Dillman, D. A., Eltinge, J. L., A.
- Leverage-saliency theory of survey participation; 2000; Groves, R. M., Singer, E., Corning, A.
- Interviewer Reactions to Alternative Hardware for Computer-Assisted Personal Interviewing; 1992; Couper, M. P., Groves, R. M.
- Survey Errors and Survey Costs; 1989; Groves, R. M.
- Methodological Issues in CAPI; 1989; Couper, M. P., Groves, R. M.
- The Status of Computer-Assisted Telephone Interviewing: Part II. Data Quality Issues; 1986; Groves, R. M., Nicholls II, W. L.
- The Status of Computer-Assisted Telephone Interviewing: Part I - Introduction and Impact on Cost and...; 1986; Nicholls II, W. L., Groves, R. M.
- Implications of CATI: Costs, Errors, and Organization of Telephone Survey Research; 1983; Groves, R. M.
- Surveys by telephone: a national comparison with personal interviews; 1979; Groves, R. M., Kahn, R. L.