Web Survey Bibliography
Computer-assisted self-interview (CASI) questionnaires are being used with increased frequency to deliver surveys that previously were administered via self-administered paper-and-pencil questionnaires (SAQs). Although CASI may offer a number of advantages, an important consideration for researchers is the assessment modality's immediate and long-term costs. To facilitate researchers' choice between CASI and SAQ, this article provides theoretical cost models with specific parameters for comparing the costs for each assessment type. Utilizing these cost models, this study compared the cost effectiveness in a health behavior study in which both CASI (n = 100) and SAQ (n = 100) questionnaires were administered. Given the high initial costs, CASI was found to be less cost effective than SAQ for a single study. However, for studies with large sample sizes or when CASI software is to be used for multiple studies, CASI would be more cost effective and should be the assessment mode of choice.
Journal Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Behavior Research Methods (25)
- A standard for test reliability in group research; 2013; Ellis, J. L.
- The viability of crowdsourcing for survey research; 2011; Behrend, T. et al.
- Why do you play? The development of the motives for online gaming questionnaire (MOGQ); 2011; Demetrovics, Z., Urbán, R., Nagygyörgy, K., Farkas, J., Zilahy, D., Mervó, B., Reindl, A., Agoston,...
- Twice random, once mixed: Applying mixed models to simultaneously analyze random effects of language...; 2011; Janssen, D. P.
- Seriousness Checks are Useful to Improve Data Validity in Online Research; 2010; Diedenhofen, D., Aust, F., Ullrich, S., Musch, J.
- A validation of well-being and happiness surveys for administration via the Internet ; 2010; Howell, R. T., Rodzon, K. S., Kurai, M., Sanchez, A. H.
- A short self-report measure of problems with executive function suitable for administration via the...; 2010; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- A comparison of stimulus ratings made online and in person: Gender and method effects; 2010; Barenboym, D. A., Wurm, L. H., Cano, A.
- Differences in responses to Web and paper surveys among school professionals; 2010; Yetter, G., Capaccioli, K.
- Making small effects observable: Reducing error by using visual analogue scales; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Comparison of ability tests administered online and in the laboratory; 2009; Marten Ihme, J., Lemke, F., Lieder, K., Martin, F., Müller, J. C., Schmidt, S.
- Building and managing an online panel with phpPanelAdmin; 2009; Goeritz, A.
- A decade of Internet-based data collection: Time is ripe for combining e-learning with i-science; 2009; Reips, U. -D.
- The effect of varying the number of response alternatives in rating scales: Experimental evidence from...; 2009; Maydeu-Olivares, A., Kramp, U., García-Forero, C., Gallardo-Pujol, D., Coffman, D.
- Timing accuracy of Web experiments: A case study using the WebExp software package; 2009; Keller, F., Gunasekharan, S., Mayo, N., Corley, M.
- Using the World-Wide Web to obtain large-scale word norms: 190,212 ratings on a set of 2,654 German...; 2009; Lahl, O., Goeritz, A., Pietrowsky, R., Rosenberg, J.
- Practical advice for conducting ethical online experiments and questionnaires for United States psychologists...; 2008; Barchard K. A., Williams, J.
- Individual payments as a longer-term incentive in online panels ; 2008; Goeritz, A., Wolff, H.-G., Goldstein, D. G.
- Interval-level measurement with visual analogue scales in Internet-based research: VAS generator; 2008; Reips, U. -D., Funke, F.,
- Computer-assisted self-interviews: A cost effectiveness analysis; 2008; L. Vanable, P. A., Eriksen, M. D., L.Brown, J. L.
- Dynamic online surveys and experiments with the free open-source software dynQuest ; 2007; Rademacher, J. D.M, Lippke, S.
- Pocket-sized psychology studies: Exploring daily diary software for Palm Pilots; 2006; Le, B., Choi, D.
- Using personal digital assistants (PDAs) for the collection of safety belt use data in the field; 2006; Vivoda, J. M., Eby, D. W.
- The Web experiment list: A Web service for the recruitment of participants and archiving of Internet...; 2005; Reips, U. -D., Lengler, R.
- Generic HTML Form Processor: A versatile PHP script to save Web-collected data into a MySQL database; 2005; Goeritz, A., Birnbaum, M. H.