Web Survey Bibliography
Successfully engaging respondents in the survey process results in better, more thoughtful consumer inputs as well as happier respondents (who are more likely to participate again). Fostering engagement includes both intrinsic elements (building affinity with respondents) as well as extrinsic (the survey experience). This presentation will focus on the “how-to’s” of respondent engagement,with emphasis on actionable steps researchers can take to create a two-way relationship with respondents and a more engaging experience within the survey process.
Much has already been said about managing sample sourcing, leveraging state-of-the art software, and improving respondent cooperation through a variety of steps. This paper contributes to a comprehensive overview of best practices in online research by taking a careful look at the important – and greatly expanded – role of the questionnaire in online research. Virtually all online surveys are self-administered. That fact alone provides an argument for the need for questionnaires appropriate to online administration. The questionnaire that awaits the online survey-taker provides a crucial – and often overlooked – element in the mix. The received truths about questionnaire design, unfortunately, come primarily from a time before online studies were possible. Now that we’ve had a look at the results of online versus offline research some adjustments need be made. Specific attention is paid to forced-choice and open-ends that can frustrate respondents and provide unfortunate dispensation to survey takers to disengage from the exercise at hand.
• Understand the steps needed to build ongoing affinity with respondents
• Optimize the respondent experience within the survey process
• Understand how sub-par surveys ultimately hurt the entire research industry
50th MRA Annual Conference and RIF 2007 (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Conference proceedings (240)
- Unintentional mobile respondents; 2012; Peterson, G.
- Sensitive topics in PC Web and mobile web surveys: Is there a difference?; 2012; Mavletova, A. M., Couper, M. P.
- Metering mobile usage. Insights from global Arbitron mobile trends panel; 2012; Verkasalo, H.
- Is „chapterisation“ a viable alternative to traditional progress indicators ?; 2012; Spicer, R., Dowling, Z.
- An experimental investigation of the effects of noncontingent and contingent incentives in recruiting...; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E., Peugh, J., Charlebois, O., Murakami...
- The smart(phone) way to collect survey data; 2011; Stapleton, C.
- The next CAPI evolution - completing web surveys on cell-enabled iPads; 2011; Dayton, J., Driscoll, H.
- Self-administered mobile surveys; 2011; Bosnjak, M.
- Online survey research: Findings, Best practices, and future research; 2011
- Moving forward, building an ethics community (Panel statement); 2011; Kenneally, E. et al.
- In search of a new approach to measure newspaper audiences in Canada: The journey continues; 2011; Crassweller, A., Rogers, J., Graves, F., Gauthier, E., Charlebois, O.
- Effects of response format on requalification for recontact studies; 2011; Thomas, R. K.
- A meta-analysis of experiments manipulating progress indicators in Web surveys; 2011; Callegaro, M., Villar, A., Yang, Y.
- Blend, balance, and stabilize respondent sources; 2011; Eggers, M., Drake, E.
- Mode Effect or Question Wording? Measurement Error in Mixed Mode Surveys; 2011; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Using a fillable PDF together with SAS ® for questionnaire data; 2010; Donald, E.
- There is an app for that! A review of smartphone apps for marketing research; 2010; Michelson, M.
- The state of online research in the U.S.; 2010; Miller, J.
- Function follows form: Effects of response format on self-reported individuals and household disability...; 2010; Falcone, A. E., Thomas, R. K.
- Address-based sampling. Merits, design & implementation, and review of field statistics; 2010; Fahimi, M.
- A framework for understanding and applying ethical principles in network and security research; 2010; Kenneally, E., Bailey, M., Maughan, D.
- Restructuring and innovations on the survey “capacity of collective tourist accommodation”...; 2010; Santoro, M. T., Staffieri, S.
- An Analyze of the Zero Price Effect on Online Business Performance - An Research Based on the Mobile...; 2010; Liu, Y., Yuan, P.
- Dealing with Nonresponse in Survey Sampling: an Item Response Modeling Approach; 2010; Matei, A.
- Web survey design and usability; 2010; Karakoyun, F., Kurt, A. A.
- Response format effects on measurement of employment; 2009; Thomas, R. K., Dillman, D. A., Smyth, J. D.
- Getting data for (business) statistics: What's new? What's next?; 2009; Snijkers, G.
- Response Mode and Bias Analysis in the IRS’ Individual Taxpayer Burden Survey; 2009; Brick, J. M., Contos, G.,Masken, K.,Nord, R.
- Survey Mode Effects in Two Military Surveys; 2009; Yang, M., Falcone, A. E., Milan, L. M.
- Web based macroseismic survey: fast information exchange and elaboration of seismic intensity effects...; 2009; De Rubeis, V., Sbarra P., Sorrentino, D., Tosi, P.
- The representativeness of the LISS panel ; 2009; Knoef, M., de Vos, K.
- Sample factors that influence data quality; 2008; Gailey, R., Teal, D., Haechrel, E.
- An online panel as a platform for multi-disciplinary research; 2008; Scherpenzeel, A.
- Visual Design Effects on on Respondents Behaviour in Web-Surveys. A Design Experiment; 2008; Greinöcker, A.
- Effects of Privacy Assurances on the Online Measurement of Psychological Constructs; 2008; Witzki, A., Kramer, J.
- Effects of AJAX Technology in Online Questionnaires; 2008; Lütters, H., Westphal, D., Heublein, F.
- How Web 2.0 Technologies Can Become a Valuable Part of Online Research; 2008; Jaron, R.
- Respondent Authenticity - A biometrical approach to authenticate panelists; 2008; Wachter, B., Bender, C.
- Visual Analogue Scales Versus Categorical Scales: Respondent Burden, Cognitive Depth, and Data Quality...; 2008; Funke, F.,Reips, U. -D.
- Not Mixed-Mode but Switch-Mode; 2008; Höglinger, M., Abraham, M., Arpagaus, J.
- The Impact of Cognitive and Computer Skills on Data Quality in Computer Assisted Self Administered Questionnaires...; 2008; Brecko, B. N., Vehovar, V.
- Optimal Contact Strategy in a Mail-and-Web Mixed Mode Survey; 2008; Holmberg, A., Lorenc, B., Werner, P.
- 10 Years of Meinungsplatz.de: Success in the Collection of Data for Targeted Audiences, Such as the...; 2008; Weyergraf, O.
- Self-selection in Online Access Panels: No “Little Difference” in the Recruiting Process...; 2008; Wirth, T.
- Selectivity or Usefulness of Online-Surveys? A Comparison with Data from a Local Population Survey; 2008; Kroll, S., Hüfken, V., Reuband, K.H.
- Mobile Market Research; 2008; Maxl, E.
- Flexible and High-Speed Market Research through Mobile Data Collection & Online Reporting Tool; 2008; Haag, J., Volkmer, H.P.
- Online vs. Offline in Mobile Surveys; 2008; Neubarth, W., Maier, U.
- Gender-of-Interviewer Effects in Video-Enhanced Web Surveys. Results from a Randomized Field-Experiment...; 2008; Fuchs, M.
- The Online Use of Randomized Response Measurements; 2008; Snijders, C., Weesie, J.