Web Survey Bibliography
An objective of each online study is to motivate a respondent to completely fill out the entire questionnaire. More and more online studies are conducted which do not take into account the respondent’s time and effort to fill out a questionnaire. Using graphical support, questionnaires can become more interesting for the participant and motivate to complete the entire interview.
To test the effects we are undertaking a methodological experiment using different kinds of graphical scales.
Examined variables are:
* Response Rate /Drop-Out
* Time needed to complete the interview (duration)
* Consistency of the answers (computation with Saaty algorithm)
* Perceived quality of the interview by the respondent
An identical item list is used in the context of an Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) module. The AHP method is particularly suitable for the examination of the methodical question of scaling, since the quality of the answers can be measured calculating the consistency ratio non-reactively in the background without any effects whatsoever on the interview.
The study makes available the two technologically different approaches of graphical scaling support which are randomly integrated.
1. Application of a graphical slider based on classic Java technology with graphical support
2. Application of an identical graphical scale supported by AJAX
The results of the study will lead to an improvement of the creation of scales in the future in order to raise the quality standards of online interviewing by improving the understanding of the graphical interface design process in online surveys.
General online research (GOR) 2008 (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography (6476)
- Questionnaire Design of Self-Administered Paper and Online Surveys: Efficiency Considerations ; 2010; Lehtmets, D.
- The Handbook of Online and Social Media Research: Tools and Techniques for Market Researchers; 2010; Poynter, R.
- Does Visual Appeal Matter? Effects of Web Survey Aesthetics on Survey Quality; 2010; Mahon-Haft, T., Dillman, D. A.
- Interactive Voice Response and web-based questionnaires for population-based infectious disease reporting...; 2010; Bexelius, C., Merk, H., Sandin, S., Nyrén, O., Kühlmann-Berenzon, S., Linde, A., Litton, J.-E.
- Internet surveys; 2010; Couper, M. P., Bosnjak, M.
- Differences in responses to Web and paper surveys among school professionals; 2010; Yetter, G., Capaccioli, K.
- Using Web Surveys To Determine Audience Characteristics And Product Preferences; 2010; Philbrick, J. H., Bart, B., F. F.Smith, R. F.
- Using the Internet to Survey Small Towns and Communities: Limitations and Possibilities in the Early...; 2010; Smyth, J. D., Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M., O'Neill, A. C.
- Experiments in Mobile Web Survey Design - Similarities to Other Modes and Unique Considerations; 2010; Peytchev, A., Hill, C. A.
- Comparison of paper-and-pencil versus Web administration of the Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS): Participation...; 2010; Denniston, M. M., Brener, N. D., Kann, L., Eaton, D. K., McManus, T., Kyle, T. M., Roberts, A. M., Flint...
- The impact of progress indicators on task completion ; 2010; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Peytchev, A.
- Use of the Internet for willingness-to-pay surveys A comparison of face-to-face and web-based interviews...; 2010; Nielsen, J. S.
- Using lotteries, loyalty points, and other incentives to increase participant response and completion...; 2010; Goeritz, A.
- The Fallacy of Online Surveys: No Data Are Better Than Bad Data; 2010; Duda, M. D., Nobile, J. L.
- Instrument Development With Web Surveys and Multiple Imputations ; 2010; Chang, L. C., Frost, L. Z., Chao, S., Ree, M. J.
- Web-based versus paper-based data collection for the evaluation of teaching activity: empirical evidence...; 2010; Lalla, M., Ferrari, D.
- Life360: Usability of Mobile Devices for Time Use Surveys; 2010; Lai, J. W., Vanno, L., W., Pearson, J., Makowska, H., Benezra, K., Green, M.Link, M. W.
- The Growth of Internet Research Methods and the Reluctant Sociologist; 2010; Farrell, D., Petersen, J. C.
- Understanding the Willingness to Participate in Mobile Surveys: Exploring the Role of Utilitarian, Affective...; 2010; Bosnjak, M., Metzger, G., Graef, L.
- Social and Behavioral Research and the Internet: Advances in Applied Methods and Research Strategies; 2010; Das, M., Ester, P., Kaczmirek, L.
- Factors affecting response rates of the web survey: A systematic review; 2010; Fan, W., Yan, Z.
- Advanced Methods for Conducting Online Behavioral Research; 2010; Gosling, S. D., J. J.Johnson, A. J.
- Web-Based Survey of US Health Educators: Challenges and Lessons; 2010; Chen, L.-S., Goodson, P.
- Cognitive burden of survey questions and response times: A psycholinguistic experiment; 2010; Lenzner, T., Kaczmirek, L., Lenzner, A.
- Online Travel Surveys and Response Patterns ; 2010; Pan, B.
- The big picture: what the decline of fixed line telephones will mean to mobile research; 2010; Windle, R.
- Capturing situations and context in mobile surveys. Reducing the recall and the out of context problem...; 2010; Tjostheim, I.
- The Future for Mobile Research: what will the landscape look like in two years time; 2010; Rolfe, G.
- Psychological aspects of interviewing by cellular telephone; 2010; Doering, N.
- Visual design in online surveys: Lessons for the mobile world; 2010; Couper, M. P.
- Mode and Context Effects in Measuring Household Assets; 2010; van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A.
- Does the Online Collection of Ego-Centered Network Data reduce Data Quality? An Experimental Comparison...; 2010; Matzat, U., Snijders, C.
- On possibilities and limitations of using self-anchoring scales in web surveys; 2010; Van Acker, F., Theuns, P.
- Improving the response rate and quality in Web-based surveys through the personalization and frequency...; 2010; Muñoz-Leiva, F., Sánchez-Fernández, J., Montoro-Ríos, F. J., Ibáñez-Zapata, J. A.
- Design and formatting in Internet-based research; 2010; Reips, U. -D.
- What are participants doing while filling in an online questionnaire: A paradata collection tool and...; 2010; Stieger, S., Reips, U. -D.
- An analysis of the effect of pre-incentives and post-incentives based on draws on response to web surveys...; 2010; Sánchez-Fernández, J., Muñoz-Leiva, F., Montoro-Ríos, F. J., Ibáñez-Zapata, J. A.
- Where Is the unproctored Internet testing train headed now?; 2009; Tippins, N. T.
- Statistical disclosure control for survey data; 2009; Skinner, C.
- Sampling of populations: methods and applications, 4th Edition; 2009; Levy, P. S., Lemeshow, S.
- Response format effects on measurement of employment; 2009; Thomas, R. K., Dillman, D. A., Smyth, J. D.
- Recovering the scientist-practitioner model: How IOs should respond to unproctored internet testing; 2009; Beaty, J. C. et al.
- Preserving the integrity of online testing; 2009; Burke, E.
- Mobile surveys from a technological perspective; 2009; Pferdekämper, T., Batanic, B.
- MarketTools TrueSample; 2009
- ISO 26362 Access panels in market, opinion, and social research-Vocabulary and service requirements; 2009
- Introduction to meta-analysis; 2009; Borenstein, M. et al.
- Internet alternatives to traditional proctored testing: Where are we now?; 2009; Tippins, N. T.
- Global market research 2009; 2009
- Getting data for (business) statistics: What's new? What's next?; 2009; Snijkers, G.