Web Survey Bibliography
Methods to receive telephone (n=200) or mail (n=443) follow-up at 7 months after callin the Colorado QuitLine in April or July 2007. The 31-item instrument addressed smoking, other tobacco use, and tobacco-related behaviors. The telephone protocol included 10 contact attempts, and the mail protocol included 3 attempts. Nonresponders to the initially assigned mode were re-attempted through the other mode.
Results: Weighted demographic and smoker baseline characteristics were statistically similar between initial telephone and mail responders. Prevalence of 7-day smoking abstinence was 38.5% among initial telephone responders and 42.5% among initial mail responders (non-significant). When program completion and ethnicity were adjusted for by standardization, the non-significant difference in quit rates diminished to 40% vs. 40.5% for phone and mail respondents respectively. Early responders in both modes were more likely than late responders to report smoking abstinence (41.5% vs. 27.2%, p=0.01).
Conclusion: Smoking status estimates may differ when obtained by mail vs. phone surveys, however the differences appear to be due to differences in the population reached and can be adjusted for by standardization. Findings will help guide the design and methodological treatment of mixed-mode surveys for smoking status follow-up. : Follow-up surveys are widely used to assess smoking status and other tobacco-related indicators. Telephone is the conventional mode for quitline follow-up. Although mail or mixed modes might be less costly, these alternatives have not been assessed for comparability of results regarding smoking status. We conducted a pilot study of smoking status estimates obtained by mail vs. telephone.
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (436)
- A Comparison of Different Survey Periods in Online Surveys of Persons with Eating Disorders and Their...; 2009; Wesemann, D., Grunwald, A., Grunwald, M.
- Designing Effective Web Survey Forms; 2009; Mitchell, J.
- Presentation of a Single Item versus a Grid: Effects on the Vitality and Mental Health Scales of the...; 2009; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Do online translated questionnaires result in higher response rates for patient surveys?; 2009; Boyd, J., Davis, A.
- The influence of selective nonresponse in the analysis of levels of annoyance and sleep disturbance...; 2009; Breugelmans, O.
- Pros and Cons of Internet Surveys Compared to Traditional Survey Methods; 2009; Benjamin, G. D.
- Separating Selection Bias and Non-coverage in Internet Panels using Propensity Matching; 2009; Lensvelt-Mulders, G. J., Lugtig, P. J., Hubregtse, M.
- Increasing the use of e-consultation in primary care: Results of an online survey among non-users of...; 2009; Nijland, N., van Gemert-Pijnen, J. E. W. C., Boer, H., Steehouder, M. F., Seydel, E. R.
- Web-based survey attracted age-biased sample with more severe illness than paper-based survey; 2009; Klovning, A., Sandvik, H., Hunskaar, S.
- Disability and Self-Management Practices of People with Bipolar Disorder: A Web-Based Survey ; 2009; Depp, C. A., Stricker, J. L., Zagorsky, D., Goodale, L. C., Eyler, L. T., Patterson, T. L., Lebowitz...
- Qualitative Research via Internet: Asynchronous Online Discussions and the Use of WebCT; 2009; Giatsi Clausen, M., Nicol, M., Gill, J.
- Relevance Of Health-Related Online-Information In Offline- And Online-Samples; 2009; Stetina, B. U., McElheney, J., Lehenbauer, M., Hinterberger, E., Pintzinger, N., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- An Online Study on Coping with Anxiety and Disease-Specific Internet Use in Panic Attack Sufferers; 2009; König, D., Hiebler, C., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- An Internet-based Study on Coping with Illness and Attitudes towards Online Health Care in Cancer Patients...; 2009; Setz, J., König, D., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- Self-Efficacy Of Online Health Seekers; 2009; Stetina, B. U., Schramel, C., Lehenbauer, M., Schawill, W., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- Measuring Perceived Virtual Social Support in Online Self-Help Groups; 2009; Preiß, H.
- Can a moral reasoning exercise improve response quality to surveys of healthcare priorities?; 2009; Johri, M.
- Methods to increase response to postal and electronic questionnaires; 2009; J., Roberts, I., Clarke, M. J., DiGuiseppi, C., Wentz, R., Kwan, I., Cooper, R., Felix, L. M., Pratap...
- Assessing Medical Information Needs Via an Internet-Based Survey; 2009; Fung, S. M., Merriman, L., Cawley, M.
- Attrition Bias in a US Internet Survey of Alcohol Use Among College Freshmen ; 2009; McCoy, T. P., Ip, E. H., Blocker, J. N., Champion, H., Rhodes, S. D., Wagoner, K. G., Mitra, A., Wolfson...
- Short Message Service (SMS) Technology in Alcohol Research-A Feasibility Study; 2009; Kuntsche, E., Robert, B.
- Having their say: email interviews for research data collection with people who have verbal communication...; 2009; Ison, N.
- Combining Web-Based and Mail Surveys Improves Response Rates: A PBRN Study From PRIME Net; 2009; Kroth, P. J., McPherson, L., Leverence, R., Pace, W., Daniels, E., Rhyne, R. L., Williams, R. L.
- The utility of online panel surveys versus computer-assisted interviews in obtaining substance-use prevalence...; 2009; Spijkerman, R., Knibbe, R., Knoops, K., van de Mheen, D., van den Eijnden, R.
- The Internet as a research site: establishment of a web-based longitudinal study of the nursing and...; 2009; Huntington, A., Gilmour, J., Schluter, P., Tuckett, A., Bogossian, F., Turner, C.
- Differential response rates in postal and Web-based surveys in older respondents; 2009; Bech, M., Kristensen, M. B.
- Optimum survey methods when interviewing employed women; 2009; Dunning, K., LeMasters, G. K.
- Ethical suicide research: A survey of researchers ; 2009; Lakeman, R., Fitzgerald, M.
- Comparison of Web-Based versus Paper-and-Pencil Self-Administered Questionnaire: Effects on Health Indicators...; 2008; van de Looij-Jansen, P. M., de Wilde, E. J.
- Blast from the Past: The Challenges of Gaining Cooperation for a Follow-up Survey Several Years Later...; 2008; Costanzo, D., Sipulski, E., Carris, K., O'Connor, K.
- A Web-Based Survey of the Relationship Between Buddhist Religious Practices, Health, and Psychological...; 2008; Wiist, W. H., Sullivan, B. M., Wayment, H. A., Warren, M.
- A comparison of results from an alcohol survey of a prerecruited Internet panel and the National Epidemiologic...; 2008; Heeren, T., Edwards, E., Dennis, J. M., Rodkin, S., Hingson, R. W., Rosenbloom D. L.
- Internet Technology and Social Capital:How the Internet Affects Seniors' Social Capital and Wellbeing...; 2008; Sum, S., Mathews, M. R., Pourghasem, M., Hughes, I.
- A national Internet survey on rapid sequence intubation patterns from Turkey ; 2008; Guneysel, O., Onur, O. E., Akoglu, H., Eroglu, S., Denızbası, A.
- Computer coding of 1992 ANES Like/Dislike and MIP responses; 2008; Fan, D. F.
- Use of the Internet as a data collection tool: a methodological investigation of online synchronous...; 2008; Evans, A. R., Elford, J., Wiggins, D.
- Sampling & Weighting Cell Phone Samples to Supplement RDD Surveys; 2008; Brick, J. M., Edwards, W. S., Lee, Sunghee
- Experiment on Use of Internet Cell Phone Only Panelists to Supplement RDD Samples; 2008; Turakhia, C., Schulman, M. A., Bohinsky, S.
- Relative Costs of a Multi-frame, Multi-mode Enhancement to an RDD Survey; 2008; Edwards, W. S., Brick, J. M., Grant, D. B.
- Evaluating the Characteristics of Landline User’s Intention to Switch to Cell Phone Only Use for...; 2008; Sanderson, M., Immerwahr, S., Eisenhower, D., Konty, K.
- Landline and Cell Phone Usage Patterns Among Young Adults; 2008; Currivan, D. B., Roe, D. J., Stockdale, J.
- Practical Steps to Conducting Cellular Telephone Surveys; 2008; Howes, C., DeBello, A., Wolter, K., Wooten, K.
- Health Policy Concerns and Policy Preferences: A Comparison of Landline RDD and Cell Phone Only (and...; 2008; Zukin, C., Cantor, J., Brownlee, S., Boyle, J.
- Measuring Health in RDD Surveys: Are Estimates that Exclude the Cell-Only Population Accurate?; 2008; Freedner, N., Holterman, L. A., Hannah, K.
- When is the Best Time to Invite a Respondent? An Analysis of E-mail Invitation Timing and Response to...; 2008; Sinibaldi, J., Hansen, S. E.
- Calculating Response Rates for Cell Telephone Surveys; 2008; Barron, M., Khare, M.
- Statistical Foundations of Cell-Telephone Surveys; 2008; Wolter, K., Smith, P.
- Wireless-Mostly Households: Estimates from the 2007 National Health Interview Survey; 2008; Blumberg, S. J., Luke, J. V.
- Differential Bias Between the Cell Telephone–Only Population and the Landline Population in an...; 2008; Barron, M., Wolter, K., Howes, C., Wooten, K., Khare, M.
- Internet Surveys: Can Statistical Adjustments Eliminate Coverage Bias?; 2008; Dever, J. A., Rafferty, A., Valliant, R. L.