Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet research: Self-monitoring and judgments of attractiveness
Author Buchanan, T.
Source Behavior Research Methods, Instruments & Computers, 32, 4, pp. 521-527
Database ISI Web of Knowledge
Access date 24.05.2004
Full text pdf (79k)
Abstract Two studies examined the relationship between self-monitoring and factors influencing romantic attraction to others. In Study 1, participants completed an Internet-mediated version of the Self-Monitoring Scale (Gangestad & Snyder, 1985) and indicated which of two people (one physically attractive, one with a more desirable personality) they found most attractive. Results matched previous findings (Snyder, Berscheid, & Glick, 1985), but the effect was smaller. Study 2, a paper-and-pencil replication of Study 1, examined whether the weaker effect was due to Internet mediation and found no differences in the choices made by high and low self-monitors. Results suggested that while determinants of attraction may vary for different populations, Internet research methods can tap the same phenomena as traditional laboratory studies.
Year of publication2000
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Psychological issues (233)
- Introduction: Psychology and the Internet; 2002; Taylor, J.
- Assessment of Mode-Effects in a Web-enabled Study of Civic Attitudes; 2002; Laird, G., Wiebe, E. F., Thalji, L., Pulliam, P.
- Internet-Based Psychological Experimenting: Five Dos and Five Don'ts; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Older Adults Living Through and With Their Computers; 2002; Clark, D. J.
- The Kid's Experimental Psychology Lab: A Web Site for Internet Research with Children; 2002; Frick, A., Reips, U. -D.
- Online Social Sciences; 2002; Batinic, B., Reips, U. -D., Bosnjak, M.
- Psychological Experimenting on the World Wide Web: Investigating content effects in syllogistic reasoning...; 2002; Musch, J., Klauer, K. C.
- The Mouse or the Pencil? A Psychometric Comparison of Web-Based and Traditional Survey Methodologies; 2002; Mertler, C. A., Earley, M. A.
- Citizen Surveys on the Web: General Population Surveys of Community Opinion; 2002; Miller, T. I., Miller Kobayashi, M., Caldwell, E., Thurston, S., Collett, B.
- Personality research on the Internet: A comparison of Web-based and traditional instruments in take-...; 2002; Cronk, B. C., West, J. L.
- Online Longitudinal Survey Research: Viability and Participation; 2002; Hiskey, S., Troop, N.A.
- Comparing Web Surveys and Paper & Pencil Surveys: Measurement Error and Mode Differences; 2002; Fuchs, M.
- Paper and Pencil versus Web Survey. Measurement Effects and Mode Differences; 2002; Fuchs, M.
- On the use of college students in social science research: Insights from a second‐order meta...; 2001; Peterson, R. A.
- Introduction to behavioral research on the internet; 2001; Birnbaum, M. H.
- Ethical issues in qualitative research on internet communities; 2001; Eysenbach, G., Till, E. J.
- Stimulus delivery on the Web: What can be presented when calibration isn t possible; 2001; Krantz, J. H.
- Satisfaction Survey by Web or by Paper? A Case Study; 2001; Laughlin, B.
- Knowing Me, Knowing You: Reciprocal Self-Disclosure in Internet-Based Surveys; 2001; Joinson, A. N.
- Dyspnea During Panic Attacks: An Internet Survey of Incidences of Changes in Breathing; 2001; Anderson, B., Ley, R.
- Confusion of Group Interest and Self-Interest in Parochial Cooperation on Behalf of a Group; 2001; Baron, J.
- The Web Experimental Psychology Lab: Five years of data collection on the Internet; 2001; Reips, U. -D.
- Is physician Internet research accurate?; 2001; Dietel, K.
- The Mind Over the Web: The Quest for the Definition of a Method for Internet Research; 2001; Riva, G.
- Improving Survey Research on the World-Wide Web Using the Randomized Response Technique; 2001; Musch, J., Broder, A., Klauer, K. C.
- E-mail Survey Response Rates: A Review; 2001; Sheehan, K. B.
- Humanizing Self-Administered Surveys: Experiments on Social Presence on the Web and Interactive Voice...; 2001; Steiger, D. M., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.
- Virtual Selves and Web Surveys; 2001; Lozar Manfreda, K., Couper, M. P., Vohar, M., Rivas, S., Vehovar, V.
- The cognitive psychology online laboratory; 2000; Francis, G., Neath, I., Surprenant, A. M.
- Tell me, what did you see? The stimulus on computers; 2000; Krantz, J. H.
- The WWW as a research medium: An illustrative survey on paranormal belief; 2000; Goeritz, A., Schumacher, J.
- A Meta-Analysis of Response Rates in Web- or Internet-Based Surveys; 2000; Cook, C., Heath, F., Thompson, R. L.
- Understanding youth using online research methods; 2000; Geraci, J.
- The Psychology of Survey Response; 2000; Tourangeau, R., Rips, L. J., Rasinski, K.
- Comparing Online and Telephone Research Methods with Physicians; 2000; Gelb, L.
- Psychological Experiments on the Internet; 2000; Birnbaum, M. H.
- Validity of Web-based Psychological Research; 2000; Krantz, J. H., Reeshad, D.
- A Brief History of Web Experimenting; 2000; Musch, J., Reips, U. -D.
- The Web Experiment Method: Advantages, Disadvantages, and Solutions; 2000; Reips, U. -D.
- Potential of the Internet for Personality Research; 2000; Buchanan, T.
- PsychExps: An On-Line Psychology Laboratory; 2000; McGraw, K. O., Tew, M. D., Williams, J. E.
- The Server-Side of Psychology Web Experiments; 2000; Schmidt, W. C.
- Internet research: Self-monitoring and judgments of attractiveness; 2000; Buchanan, T.
- Human sexual behavior: a comparison of college and Internet surveys; 2000; Bailey, R., Foot, W., Throckmorton, B.
- A Disk by Mail Survey of Pupils in Primary Schools: Data Quality and Logistics; 1999; van Hattum, M. J. C., de Leeuw, E. D.
- Online-replication of results from evolutionary psychology research – sex differences in sexual...; 1999; Voracek, M., Stieger, S., Gindl, A.
- Online research with children; 1999; Reips, U. -D.
- Computer Literacy and Attitudes toward the Computer: On the Equivalence of Online- und Paper-Pencil-...; 1999; Richter, T., Naumann, J., Noller, S.
- The nature of Internet addiction: Psychological factors in compulsive Internet use; 1999; Greenfield, D.N.
- Conception and Implementation of the Siemens Employee Survey with Continuous Immediate Valuation through...; 1999; Bauer, W., Hauptmann, C.