Web Survey Bibliography
The next frontier of data collection is here. This presentation will discuss how research practitioners and end users are making use of the "anytime, anywhere" data collection capabilities offered by mobile interviewing technologies. The presentation will also compare and contrast available mobile text, web, and voice technologies and show how they are being applied to achieve representative samples. The author will present short case studies demonstrating when and how to effectively use mobile interviewing for surveys, diaries, and ethnographies, as well as how to choose the best technique for a study. The practical limitations of mobile interviewing will also be discussed.
The second half of this presentation will focus on a detailed discussion of the advantages of mobile interactive voice response (IVR) interviewing as a viable alternative to online interviewing based on findings from a recent study conducted by the author. In this study, four cells were tested to compare response rates and times between 1) respondents invited to take an online survey by mobile text; 2) respondents invited to take an automated IVR survey by mobile text; 3) respondents invited to take either an online survey or automated IVR survey by mobile text (respondents could select either option); and 4) respondents invited to take an online survey by email.
The results of the study support the use of mobile text message invitations to increase response rates to online surveys, as well as the use of mobile IVR as a viable alternative to online surveys when speed of data collection is a priority, such as for polling or other time-sensitive research.
Web Survey Bibliography - Other (452)
- Effects of Questionnaire Length on Participation and Indicators of Response Quality in a Web Survey; 2009; Galesic, M., Bosnjak, M.
- The Framing of the Survey Request and Panel Attrition; 2009; Tourangeau, R., Ye, J.
- Taking the Audio Out of Audio-CASI; 2009; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Marvin, T.
- Questionnaire Survey Nonresponse: A Comparison of Postal Mail and Internet Surveys ; 2009; Hoonakker, P., Carayon, P.
- Open-Ended Questions in Web Surveys: Can Increasing the Size of Answer Boxes and Providing Extra Verbal...; 2009; Smyth, J. D., Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M., McBride, M.
- Effectiveness of incentives in web surveys within mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs...; 2009; Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Representativeness of web surveys to the general public ; 2009; Sonck, N.
- Effects of data collection technique on the quality of data: A MTMM study of CATI, CAPI and Online interviews...; 2009; Scherpenzeel, A.
- The Mobile-only Population in Portugal and Its Impact in a Dual Frame Telephone Survey; 2009; Vicente, P., Reis, E.
- Impact of mixed survey modes on physical activity and fruit/vegetable consumption: A longitudinal study...; 2009; Nigg, C. R., Motl, R. W., Wong, K. T., Yoda L. U., McCurdy, D. K., Paxton, R., Horwath, C. C., Dishman...
- Internet research differs from research on internet users: some methodological insights into online...; 2009; Lohmann, M., Schmucker, D. J.
- Behaviour analysis of internet survey completion using decision trees: An exploratory study; 2009; Lin, C. C., Yang, H. J., Kuo, L. H.
- Find out what your people really think: How to maximize response rates to employee satisfaction surveys...; 2009; Lusty, D.
- Anytime, Anywhere Mobile Interviewing: Comparing Mobile Voice and Web Response Patterns; 2009; Petit, F. C.
- Using mobile phones to measure TV-broadcast quality; 2009; Wieland, J. L., Puggaard, B.
- The representativeness of the LISS panel ; 2009; Knoef, M., de Vos, K.
- Optimum survey methods when interviewing employed women; 2009; Dunning, K., LeMasters, G. K.
- Online Versus Paper: Format Effects in Tourism Surveys; 2009; Dolnicar, S., Laesser, C., Matus, K.
- Towards a flexible online mixed method design with a feedback loop; 2009; Lobe, B., Vehovar, V.
- Providing Real-Time Incentives for Anonymous Web Surveys; 2008; Heinrich, T.
- Blast from the Past: The Challenges of Gaining Cooperation for a Follow-up Survey Several Years Later...; 2008; Costanzo, D., Sipulski, E., Carris, K., O'Connor, K.
- Data Collection on Handheld Computers with Voice Recognition Technology; 2008; Malakhoff, L.
- How To Write Better Survey Questionnaires; 2008; Triplett, T. A.
- Response Effects in Video-enhanced Web Surveys; 2008; Fuchs, M.
- Evaluation of Sample Designs for Telephone Surveys That Include Cell Phones; 2008; Steeh, C. G.
- Costs and Benefits from Conducting a Supplemental Sample of Cell Phone Numbers in National RDD Surveys...; 2008; Kennedy, C.
- Cell Phone Interviewing; 2008; Lee, R. H.
- Swedish National Data Service's Strategy for Sharing and Mediating Data; 2008; Carlhed, C., Alfredsson, I.
- A Web-Based Survey of the Relationship Between Buddhist Religious Practices, Health, and Psychological...; 2008; Wiist, W. H., Sullivan, B. M., Wayment, H. A., Warren, M.
- Social Research Methods; 2008; Bryman, A.
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Cell Phone Surveying; 2008; Barron, M.
- Experiments Exploring the Relationship (or Lack Thereof) Between Nonresponse Error and Measurement Error...; 2008; Tourangeau, R., Groves, R. M., Presser, S., Toppe, C., Kennedy, K., Yan, T.,
- Respondent Incentives in a Multi-Mode Panel Survey: Cumulative Effects on Non-Response and Bias; 2008; Jäckle, A., Lynn, P.
- Effects of Pre-coding Response Options for Five Point Satisfaction Scale in Web Surveys; 2008; Callegaro, M., Wells, T., Kruse, Y.
- National Surveys Via RDD Telephone Interviewing vs. the Internet: Comparing Sample Representativeness...; 2008; Chang, L. C., Krosnick, J. A.
- More than the digital divide?: Investigating the differences between Internet and non-Internet users; 2008; Zhang, C., Callegaro, M., Thomas, M.
- Enhancing the Travel Survey Process and Data Using the CATI System ; 2008; Morency, C.
- The Methodological Issues Associated With Internet-Based Research; 2008; Beddows, E.
- The Effectiveness of CATI Method in the Survey “Structure of Agricultural Holdings”; 2008; Jakóbik, K., Ruta, G.
- Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: Experimental Results for the Randomized Response Technique (RRT...; 2008; Coutts, E., Jann, B.
- An evaluation of the weighting procedures for an online access panel survey; 2008; Loosveldt, G., Sonck, N.
- Mobile Research: Five Ways To Collect Data Using Mobile Devices; 2008; Conry, S.
- Fraudsters: Teach Them Well; 2008; Pettit, F. A.
- Transitioning from Self-Reports to Self-Installed Electronic Audience Measurement; 2008; Trussell, N., Vanno, L., Matthess, E., Bailey, J., Link, M. W.
- The Role of New Technology and its’ Effect on Best Practices Methodology; 2008; Kendall, E.
- Representativeness in Online-Surveys Through Stratified Sample; 2008; Blasius, J.
- Comparing the Results of Probability and Non-probability Telephone and Internet Survey Data; 2008; Wang, R., Krosnick, J. A.
- Evaluating the Potential Contributions of a Web-based Convenience Sample to the Accuracy of a Probability...; 2008; Elliott, M. N., Haviland, A.
- Evaluating Efficiency and Effectiveness of Cell Phone Samples; 2008; Sen, S., Zmud, J., Arce, C.
- The MacroPoll Wireless Experience: Development and Lessons Learned.; 2008; Austin, J. D., Zullwack, R., Dyer, A., Dayton, J. J.