Web Survey Bibliography
The next frontier of data collection is here. This presentation will discuss how research practitioners and end users are making use of the "anytime, anywhere" data collection capabilities offered by mobile interviewing technologies. The presentation will also compare and contrast available mobile text, web, and voice technologies and show how they are being applied to achieve representative samples. The author will present short case studies demonstrating when and how to effectively use mobile interviewing for surveys, diaries, and ethnographies, as well as how to choose the best technique for a study. The practical limitations of mobile interviewing will also be discussed.
The second half of this presentation will focus on a detailed discussion of the advantages of mobile interactive voice response (IVR) interviewing as a viable alternative to online interviewing based on findings from a recent study conducted by the author. In this study, four cells were tested to compare response rates and times between 1) respondents invited to take an online survey by mobile text; 2) respondents invited to take an automated IVR survey by mobile text; 3) respondents invited to take either an online survey or automated IVR survey by mobile text (respondents could select either option); and 4) respondents invited to take an online survey by email.
The results of the study support the use of mobile text message invitations to increase response rates to online surveys, as well as the use of mobile IVR as a viable alternative to online surveys when speed of data collection is a priority, such as for polling or other time-sensitive research.
Web Survey Bibliography - Standards, codes (445)
- Reducing Measurement Errors in Surveys; 2009; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Pros and Cons of Internet Surveys Compared to Traditional Survey Methods; 2009; Benjamin, G. D.
- Ethical Issues in Internet Research ; 2009; McKee, H., Porter, J.
- Zero Banks: Coverage Error in List Assisted RDD Samples; 2009; Boyle, J., Bucuvalas, M., Piekarski, L., Weiss, A.
- Combining Data from Probability and Non-Probability Samples Using Pseudo-Weights; 2009; Elliott, M. R.
- The Collected Works of Robert M. Groves, 6 Book Set (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Groves, R. M.
- Complex Surveys: A Guide to Analysis Using R (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Lumley, T. S.
- Methodology of Longitudinal Surveys (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Lynn, P.
- Applied Survey Methods: A Statistical Perspective (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Empirical Evaluation of Web Survey Software Tools: Powerful or Friendly?; 2009; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K., Horvat, T., Debevc, M.
- Qualitative Research via Internet: Asynchronous Online Discussions and the Use of WebCT; 2009; Giatsi Clausen, M., Nicol, M., Gill, J.
- Representativeness of Mobile Internet Surveys - A comparative study of CAMI vs. CATI ; 2009; Maier, U., Neubarth, W., Grosser, A., Hombach, A.
- The use of online data-collection in financial services market measurement research : the FRS experience...; 2009; Cooke, M., Watkins, N.
- Using flash type questions – stroke of luck or curse for data quality?; 2009; Laufer, S., Klapproth, U., Noll, S.
- Pause Mechanism in Complex Online Surveys; 2009; Milewski, J.
- Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: Experimental Results for the Randomized Response Technique (RRT...; 2009; Coutts, E., Jann, B.
- Results from 6 Independent Web Experiments Comparing Visual Analogue Scales with Categorical Scales; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Data Collection online: Can do, must (not) do, Should do; 2009; Diesner, J., Gadeib, A., Lüttschwager, F., Sassinot-Uny, L.
- Gay and Lesbian People: The Use of Online Communication Services; 2009; Lehenbauer, M., Stetina, B. U., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- Does the seriousness check really sieve out datasets with bad data quality?; 2009; Stieger, S., Reips, U. -D.
- Respondents’ Evaluations of Questionnaires: A Single-Item Open-Ended Instrument for Quality Control...; 2009; Baier, C., Kaczmirek, L., Züll, C.
- Propensity Score Adjustment for Web Survey of Voting Behavior: A Case in Japan; 2009; Kobayashi, T.
- Verbal Vs Visual Response Options: Reconciling Meanings Conveyed by a Computer Aided Visual Rating Scale...; 2009; Garland, P., Cape, P.
- Strategies for Increasing Response Rates in Web Surveys and their Differential Effects on Sample Composition...; 2009; Haas, I., Bosnjak, M., Bandilla, W., P., Galesic, M.Couper, M. P.
- Increasing response rates in list based samples; 2009; Keusch, F., Kurz, H., Penzkofer, P.
- GPCP: A German Version of the Scale for Online Privacy Concern and Protection for Use on the Internet...; 2009; Oostlander, J., Reips, U. -D., Buchanan, T.
- Resolving the Privacy Paradox? - How Privacy Concerns, Strategic Self-presentation, and Norms Influence...; 2009; Utz, S.
- Measuring Network Quality: Strengths and Weaknesses of different Evaluation Methods (SMS, w@p and web...; 2009; Wallisch, A., Schwab, H.
- Challenges in Recruiting Special Groups in Internet Panel Research; 2009; Marchand, M., Vis, C.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Mirta, G.
- Panel Conditioning in Web Surveys: A Comparison between Trained and Fresh Respondents; 2009; Toepoel, V., Das, M., van Soest, A.
- Using Tag Clouds to Analyse and Visualise Results of Open Ended Questions; 2009; Melles, T., Jaron, R.
- Understanding the willingness to participate in mobile surveys: Exploring the role of hedonic, affective...; 2009; Bosnjak, M., Metzger, G.
- Integrating Mobile Surveys into digital market research: Recommendations for Mobile Panel operation...; 2009; Friedrich-Freksa, M., de Groote, Z., Metzger, G.
- Formatting Error with Visual Analogue Scales in Web Surveys; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- The new IT environment for the Italian consumer price survey; 2009; Giannini, R., Polidoro, F., Sgamba, A. M., Silipo, M., Spagnuolo, F., Virgillito, A.
- Comparative analysis among open source and commercial software for the development of electronic questionnaires...; 2009; Capparucci, L., Degortes, M., Landriscina, M., Murgia, M.
- The automatic coding of Economic Activities descriptions for WEB users; 2009; Colasanti, C., Macchia, S., Vicari, P.
- Privacy concerns and electronic data collection: group and individual response to social change in communications...; 2009; Odella, F.
- Optimal Contact Strategy in a Mail and Web Mixed Mode Survey ; 2009; Holmberg, A., Lorenc, B., Werner, P.
- Optimising survey costs in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K., Belak, E.
- A guide to conducting online research; 2009; Gaiser, T. J., Schreiner, A. E.
- Social Web and Self-Disclosure = Participation vs. Privacy? Exploring How Users Manage this Dilemma...; 2009; Taddicken, M., Jers, C., Schenk, M.
- Money for Surveys: What about Data-Quality?; 2009; A.Krosnick, J. A.
- Online Research Essentials: Designing and Implementing Research Studies; 2009; Russell, B., Purcell, J.
- Creating Online Surveys: Some Wisdom from the Trenches Tutorial ; 2009; Singh, A., Taneja, A., Mangalaraj, G.
- Attrition Bias in a US Internet Survey of Alcohol Use Among College Freshmen ; 2009; McCoy, T. P., Ip, E. H., Blocker, J. N., Champion, H., Rhodes, S. D., Wagoner, K. G., Mitra, A., Wolfson...
- Short Message Service (SMS) Technology in Alcohol Research-A Feasibility Study; 2009; Kuntsche, E., Robert, B.
- Online Survey Tools: Ethical and Methodological Concerns of Human Research Ethics Committees; 2009; Buchanan, E. A., Hvizdak, E. E.
- The Video-Enhanced Web Survey Data Quality and Cognitive Processing of Questions; 2009; Fuchs, M.