Web Survey Bibliography
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to explore teachers' behaviours in completing an internet survey using decision trees. Furthermore, to reduce the complexity of the decision trees, a statistical technique was used to decrease the number of input variables in the decision trees.
Design/methodology/approach – A dataset of 47,647 samples was used to build the decision trees. These samples were collected from an internet survey of teachers in Taiwan. The output of the decision trees was the answering time (the time taken to complete the internet questionnaire). Eight variables were selected as the inputs for the decision trees. Two techniques were employed to build the decision trees – the exhaustive chi-squared automatic interaction detector (ECHAID) and classification and regression tree (CRT) analysis. To reduce the complexity of the decision models, factor analysis technique was used to decrease the data dimensions (number of input variables) and to obtain a simplified decision model. One-way ANOVA was used to validate the effects of the dimension reduction.
Findings – From the results of the factor analysis, a simplified decision tree is recommended using four input variables – teaching years, school level, sex and area. The classification accuracy of the simplified model is statistically equivalent to that of the original one, which used eight input variables.
Originality/value – The complexity of decision trees theoretically depends on the number of input variables. This study used a statistical technique to decrease the number of input variables and thereby reduce the complexity of the decision trees. A statistical technique was employed to validate that the classification accuracy is not statistically different between the original decision model and the simplified one. The decision models proposed in this paper can be applied in estimating the answering time for completing a questionnaire during an internet survey.
Homepage (abstract)/(full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Other (470)
- Dealing with Nonresponse in Survey Sampling: an Item Response Modeling Approach; 2010; Matei, A.
- Blogosphere and Democracy in Portugal–Results of a Websurvey; 2010; Carvalho, T., Casanova, J. L.
- Establishing a Qualitative Data Archive in Austria; 2010; Smioski, A.
- Web Based Paper Form Verification Using QueXF; 2010; Zammit, A.
- Does Making The Survey Topic More Salient Lead To An Expert Bias? – The Influence of Announcing...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Weilbuchner, N., Jungreithmaier, S.
- Developing and Evaluating a Student Online Panel.; 2010; Stiglbauer, B., Gamsjäger, M., Gnambs, T., Batinic, B., Altrichter, H.
- Online Access Panels: A detailed look at different Ways of Entering, their Costs and Participation Behavior...; 2010; Führer, R., Keusch, F.
- Theoretical model of context-sensitive mobile methods; 2010; Maxl, E.
- Can a professional questionnaire layout make up for a boring topic? The mediating role of topic interest...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Jungreithmaier, S., Weilbuchner, N., Führer, R., Kling, H.
- Using Propensity Score Weighting to Reduce Bias of a Swiss Market Research Web Panel; 2010; Wiegand, G., Jella, H., Beat, H., Stefan, L.
- A short self-report measure of problems with executive function suitable for administration via the...; 2010; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- Combining Link-Tracing Sampling and Cluster Sampling to Estimate Totals and Means of Hidden Human Populations...; 2010; Félix-Medina, M. H., Monjardin, P. E.
- Quality in Unimode and Mixed-Mode designs: A Multitrait-Multimethod approach; 2010; Revilla, M.
- Some Notes on the Probability Space of Statistical Surveys; 2010; Petrakos, G.
- The Ethics of Outsourcing Online Survey Research; 2010; Allen, P. J., Roberts, L. D.
- Comparative effectiveness report: online survey tools; 2010; Gottliebson, D., Layton, N., Wilson, E.
- Web survey design and usability; 2010; Karakoyun, F., Kurt, A. A.
- Web panels: Replacement technology for market research; 2010; Goeritz, A.
- Test-retest reliability of a questionnaire for the Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey; 2010; Bae, J., Joung, H., Kwon, K. N., Kim, Y. T., Kim, J. -Y., Park, S. -W.
- Nine issues for Internet-based survey research in service industries ; 2010; Wang, H.-C., Doong, H.-S.
- Color red in web-based knowledge testing; 2010; Gnambs, T., , Batinic, B.Appel, M.
- A comparison of surveys using different modes of data collection; 2010; Revilla, M., Saris, W. E.
- Exploring the feasibility of an online contextualised animation-based questionnaire for educational...; 2010; Chien, Y.-T., Chang, C.-Y.
- Examining the effects of website-induced flow in professional sporting team websites; 2010; O'Cass, A., Carlson, J.
- Research into questionnaire design - A summary of the literature; 2010; Lietz, P.
- Improving sample quality by utilising the multiple contacts approach; 2010; Przewlocka, J.
- Relationship of Metacognitive Monitoring with Interaction in an Asynchronous Online Discussion Forum; 2010; Topcu, A.
- A Research on the Application of Web Survey in Sport; 2010; Chen, Z. X., Pan, D. L., Lu, H. N.
- A Spanish Continuous Volunteer Web Survey: Sample Bias, Weighting and Efficiency; 2010; de Pedraza, P., Tijdens, K., de Bustillo, R., Steinmetz, S.
- College Students' Response Rate to an Incentivized Combination of Postal and Web-Based Health Survey; 2010; Balajti I., Daragó, L., Ádány, R., Kósa, K.
- Improving the response rate and quality in Web-based surveys through the personalization and frequency...; 2010; Muñoz-Leiva, F., Sánchez-Fernández, J., Montoro-Ríos, F. J., Ibáñez-Zapata, J. A.
- What are participants doing while filling in an online questionnaire: A paradata collection tool and...; 2010; Stieger, S., Reips, U. -D.
- An analysis of the effect of pre-incentives and post-incentives based on draws on response to web surveys...; 2010; Sánchez-Fernández, J., Muñoz-Leiva, F., Montoro-Ríos, F. J., Ibáñez-Zapata, J. A.
- MarketTools TrueSample; 2009
- ISO 26362 Access panels in market, opinion, and social research-Vocabulary and service requirements; 2009
- Getting data for (business) statistics: What's new? What's next?; 2009; Snijkers, G.
- Social Network Services as Data Sources and Platforms for e-Researching Social Networks; 2009; Ackland, R.
- Stochastic properties of the Internet sample; 2009; Getka-Wilczynska, E.
- Web based survey: an emerging tool; 2009; Srivenkataramana, T., Saisree, M.
- The impact of gender in e-mailed survey invitations; 2009; Derham, P.
- The Coverage Bias of Mobile Web Surveys Across European Countries ; 2009; Fuchs, M., Busse, B.
- Young people, the Internet and Political Participation: Findings of a web survey in Italy, Spain and...; 2009; Calenda, D., Meijer, A.
- Interactivity in self-administered surveys. Influence on respondents' experience; 2009; Suarez Vazquez, A., Garcia Rodriguez, N., Alvarez, M. B.
- Selecting techniques for use in an internet survey; 2009; B., Han, V., Albaum, G., Thirkell, P.Wiley, J. B.
- Designing Effective Web Survey Forms; 2009; Mitchell, J.
- Metrics for panel contribution: a non probabilistic platform; 2009; Gittelmam, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Mode effects in Switzerland: non‐response and measurement error on the European Social Survey; 2009; Roberts, C.
- Reason analysis: an ambitious alternative for mixed‐mode survey design; 2009; Jeøábek, H.
- Response rates in multi actor surveys; 2009; Pasteels, I., Ponnet, K., Mortelmans, D.
- Unit non‐response in panel surveys: empirical finding from an experiment; 2009; Haunberger, S.