Web Survey Bibliography
Although Internet-based experiments are gaining in popularity, most studies rely on directly evaluating participants' responses rather than response times. In the present article, we present two experiments that demonstrate the feasibility of collecting response latency data over the World-Wide Web using WebExp—a software package designed to run psychological experiments over the Internet. Experiment 1 uses WebExp to collect measurements for known time intervals (generated using keyboard repetition). The resulting measurements are found to be accurate across platforms and load conditions. In Experiment 2, we use WebExp to replicate a lab-based self-paced reading study from the psycholinguistic literature. The data of the Web-based replication correlate significantly with those of the original study and show the same main effects and interactions. We conclude that WebExp can be used to obtain reliable response time data, at least for the self-paced reading paradigm.
Journal Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Behavior Research Methods (25)
- A standard for test reliability in group research; 2013; Ellis, J. L.
- The viability of crowdsourcing for survey research; 2011; Behrend, T. et al.
- Why do you play? The development of the motives for online gaming questionnaire (MOGQ); 2011; Demetrovics, Z., Urbán, R., Nagygyörgy, K., Farkas, J., Zilahy, D., Mervó, B., Reindl, A., Agoston,...
- Twice random, once mixed: Applying mixed models to simultaneously analyze random effects of language...; 2011; Janssen, D. P.
- Seriousness Checks are Useful to Improve Data Validity in Online Research; 2010; Diedenhofen, D., Aust, F., Ullrich, S., Musch, J.
- A validation of well-being and happiness surveys for administration via the Internet ; 2010; Howell, R. T., Rodzon, K. S., Kurai, M., Sanchez, A. H.
- A short self-report measure of problems with executive function suitable for administration via the...; 2010; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- A comparison of stimulus ratings made online and in person: Gender and method effects; 2010; Barenboym, D. A., Wurm, L. H., Cano, A.
- Differences in responses to Web and paper surveys among school professionals; 2010; Yetter, G., Capaccioli, K.
- Making small effects observable: Reducing error by using visual analogue scales; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Comparison of ability tests administered online and in the laboratory; 2009; Marten Ihme, J., Lemke, F., Lieder, K., Martin, F., Müller, J. C., Schmidt, S.
- Building and managing an online panel with phpPanelAdmin; 2009; Goeritz, A.
- A decade of Internet-based data collection: Time is ripe for combining e-learning with i-science; 2009; Reips, U. -D.
- The effect of varying the number of response alternatives in rating scales: Experimental evidence from...; 2009; Maydeu-Olivares, A., Kramp, U., García-Forero, C., Gallardo-Pujol, D., Coffman, D.
- Timing accuracy of Web experiments: A case study using the WebExp software package; 2009; Keller, F., Gunasekharan, S., Mayo, N., Corley, M.
- Using the World-Wide Web to obtain large-scale word norms: 190,212 ratings on a set of 2,654 German...; 2009; Lahl, O., Goeritz, A., Pietrowsky, R., Rosenberg, J.
- Practical advice for conducting ethical online experiments and questionnaires for United States psychologists...; 2008; Barchard K. A., Williams, J.
- Individual payments as a longer-term incentive in online panels ; 2008; Goeritz, A., Wolff, H.-G., Goldstein, D. G.
- Interval-level measurement with visual analogue scales in Internet-based research: VAS generator; 2008; Reips, U. -D., Funke, F.,
- Computer-assisted self-interviews: A cost effectiveness analysis; 2008; L. Vanable, P. A., Eriksen, M. D., L.Brown, J. L.
- Dynamic online surveys and experiments with the free open-source software dynQuest ; 2007; Rademacher, J. D.M, Lippke, S.
- Pocket-sized psychology studies: Exploring daily diary software for Palm Pilots; 2006; Le, B., Choi, D.
- Using personal digital assistants (PDAs) for the collection of safety belt use data in the field; 2006; Vivoda, J. M., Eby, D. W.
- The Web experiment list: A Web service for the recruitment of participants and archiving of Internet...; 2005; Reips, U. -D., Lengler, R.
- Generic HTML Form Processor: A versatile PHP script to save Web-collected data into a MySQL database; 2005; Goeritz, A., Birnbaum, M. H.