Web Survey Bibliography
Title Research on the Internet: Validation of a World-Wide Web mediated personality scale
Source Behavior Research Methods, Instruments & Computers, 31, 4, pp. 565-571
Access date 25.05.2004
Full text pdf (78k)
Abstract Two studies were performed to assess the validity of a World-Wide Web (WWW) measure of selfmonitoring. In Study 1, Usenet Newsgroups likely to be read by high and low self-monitors were identified and a comparison was made of the extent to which contributors engaged in a form of self-presentation (use of handles or screen names) likely to be influenced by self-monitoring tendencies. Handles were used significantly more frequently in the high self-monitoring Newsgroups, supporting the distinction made. In Study 2, participants recruited through these sets of Newsgroups completed the WWWmediated test. Those from the high self-monitoring groups scored significantly higher. Self-reports of self-monitoring behavior also reflected scores on the scale. The results are interpreted as demonstrating the construct validity of the instrument used and the viability of criterion-group-oriented methods in Internet-mediated research.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Year of publication1999
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Solicitations & incentives (606)
- Achieving high response rates on web-based surveys of post-secondary students; 2003; Nichols, L.B., Ghadialy, R.
- The Effects of Cash, Electronic, and Paper Gift Certificates as Respondent Incentives for a Web-Based...; 2003; Birnholtz, J. P., Horn, D. B., Finholt, T. A., Bae, S. J.
- Exploring Online Survey Metodologies: Who are the Respondents and How to Get them to respond; 2003; Wolter-Warmerdam, K., Gardinali, A.P., Wong, R.
- Can What We Don’t Know (about “Don’t Know”) Hurt Us?: Effects of Item Non-response...; 2003; Krosnick, J. A., Behnke, C. S., Lafond, C.R., Thomas, R. K.
- Partipation in Online Surveys: Results from a Series of Experiments; 2003; Kiniorski, A. K., Smith, M. R.
- Propensity score and calibration as bias reducing techniques in surveys based on Internet panels: application...; 2003; Johansson, C., Lorenc, B.
- Effects of sponsor identity and perceived data security on response rates and data quality; 2003; Davis, B., Levin, K., O'Brien, J., Wang, A., Gordon, A., Shipp, S.
- The Impact of Lottery Incentives on Student Survey Response Rates; 2003; Whitcomb, M. E., Porter, S. R.
- Patterns of Response and Nonresponse from Teachers to Traditional and Web Surveys; 2003; Mertler, C. A.
- A Methodology for the Administration of a Web-Based Questionnarie; 2003; Antunes, M. J., Castro, E., Mealha, O.
- Survey Automation: Report and Workshop Proceedings; 2003; Tourangeau, R.
- E-Research: Ethics, security, design, and control in psychological research on the Internet; 2002; Banaji, M., Greenwald, A., Nosek, B.
- The use of incentives to reduce nonresponse household surveys; 2002; Singer, E.
- Private e-mail requests and the diffusion of responsibility; 2002; Barron, G., Yechiam, E.
- Conducting Online Research; 2002; Hogg, A.
- Technology and the Customer Interface: What Consumers Want in the Physical and Virtual Store; 2002; Burke, R. R.
- Multi-mode research dos and don'ts; 2002; Hogg, A.
- Effective recruitment and retention for online surveys; 2002; Freeman, K.
- An Evaluation of Nonresponse Bias in Internet Surveys Conducted Using the Knowledge Networks Panel; 2002; Seryakova, K., Dennis, J. M., Huggins, V. J.
- Assessment of Mode-Effects in a Web-enabled Study of Civic Attitudes; 2002; Laird, G., Wiebe, E. F., Thalji, L., Pulliam, P.
- Using Internet-Based Surveys To Measure Customer Satisfaction; 2002; Salvucci, S., Parker, A., Wenck, S., Peng, S., Goldstein, A.
- An Experiment Comparing Computer-Assisted and Paper Modes of Data Collection for the Short Form in Census...; 2002; Schneider, S. J., Cantor, D., Malakhoff, L., Arieira, C., Segel, P., Nguyen, L., Guarino, J. A.
- Incentive Survey Finds Uncertainties; 2002; Anonymous
- Elections and Public Polling: Will the Media Get Online Polling Right?; 2002; Johnson, D. W.
- Panel attrition in relation to different kinds of incentives; 2002; Hemsing, W., Mueller, J., Graef, L.
- Can item nonresponse be reduced through conditional gratification?; 2002; Goeritz, A.
- Online Social Sciences; 2002; Batinic, B., Reips, U. -D., Bosnjak, M.
- Contact Measurement in the WWW; 2002; Werner, A.
- Conducting Research Surveys via E-mail and the Web; 2002; Schonlau, M., Elliot, M. N., Fricker, R. D.
- From Mail to Web: Improving Response Rates and Data Collection Efficiencies; 2002; Crawford, S. D., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Boyd, C. J.
- Methods of Internet data collection and implications for recruiting respondents; 2002; Roos, M.
- Use of Pre-incentives in an Internet Survey; 2002; Downes-Le Guin, T., Janowitz, P., Stone, R., Khorram, S.
- Innovations in Survey Research: An Application of Web-Based Surveys; 2002; Sills, S.J., Song, C.
- Online survey techniques: Current issues and future trends; 2002; Comley, P.
- Online Longitudinal Survey Research: Viability and Participation; 2002; Hiskey, S., Troop, N.A.
- Online Surveys and Internet Research; 2002; Comley, P.
- Online persuasion strategies; 2002; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Survey Design Features Influencing Response Rates in Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Prepaid and Promised Incentives in Web Surveys: An Experiment; 2002; Bosnjak, M., Tuten, T. L.
- Improving Unit-Nonresponse Error Correction in Online Surveys Using Multi-Dimensional Response Models...; 2002; Lukawetz, G.
- Online Research Methodology: Reflections and Speculations; 2002; Sheehan, K. B.
- Web-based Survey versus Conventional Survey. The Malaysian Experience in Conducting the Internet Subscriber...; 2002; Asha, R. P.
- Recruiting respondents for web surveys: random and other samples; 2002; Schonlau, M.
- Successful Recruitment for Online Access Panels; 2002; Goeritz, A.
- Lessons Learned from the Administration of a Web-Based Survey; 2001; Mertler, C. A.
- On-line student feedback: A pilot study ; 2001; Galbraith, L. B., Gee, P., Jennings, F., Riley, R.
- Online Data Collection With Special Populations Over the World Wide Web; 2001; Marcell, M. M., Falls, A. L.
- Comparing Two Survey Approaches: Web and Traditional Mail; 2001; Howes, C. M., Mailloux, M. R.
- Chinese online consumers' responses to web-based data collection efforts: A comparison with American...; 2001; Zhang, Y., Wang, C. C. L., Chen, J. Q.
- When money doesn't talk; 2001; Funk, S., McCallum-Keeler, G.