Web Survey Bibliography
Online videos become increasingly popular among internet users. According to the latest study run by ARD/ZDF, moving web-pictures are watched by 24% of German Internet users at least once a week. Other countries' ratios are even higher. Consequently, Online Video Ads are considered the next big thing by the advertising industry. Although the market for Online Video advertising grows rapidly, there are few insights on the effects of this format compared to established web-advertising formats. Most studies concentrate on comparisons with static banners or deliver basic recommendations on technical framework. Studies enlightening to-dos and caveats of video ad creation from TV material are mostly missing.
An experimental study conducted by facit digital and a major German publishing-house explores advertising effects of different forms of Video Ads. Results show the experiment-based research process from 33 systematically varied videos to precise recommendations on ad composition.
- outline the current state of research
- develop an online survey methodology for exploring advertising effects of Online Video Ads
- identify the impact of different video characteristics (composition, communication objective, interaction, placement) on advertising effects
- deduce factors of successful Online Video Ads via multivariate analysis
Based on the findings of desk-research, an experimental online survey approach is developed. The survey explores the impact of different characteristics of Video Ads on advertising effects. As stimulus material, we produced Video Ads of real brands clearly differing in defined characteristics (composition, purpose, interaction and placement). These clips are presented in an online questionnaire simulating real internet usage. Afterwards, advertising effects are measured (recall, brand aspects). Additionally, socio-demographic facts and online behaviour are surveyed to measure their impact.
The special challenge of this study lies in systematic variation of video material, provoking clear effects in subjects' attitudes. The research design is a challenge, keeping video factors and brands mostly independent and exploring selected interactions between human factors, ads and passing of time.
The conference presentation gives detailed insight in the methodology of measuring advertising effects of Online Video Ads and shows exemplary results regarding the conclusion of recommendations. The presentation will also offer space and time for discussion.
Conference homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - General Online Research Conference (GOR) 2009 (66)
- Conducting Mobile Surveys: A Hands-on Introduction to an Innovative Research Mode; 2009; Pferdekämper, T., Melcher, T.
- Empirical Evaluation of Web Survey Software Tools: Powerful or Friendly?; 2009; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K., Horvat, T., Debevc, M.
- Qualitative Research via Internet: Asynchronous Online Discussions and the Use of WebCT; 2009; Giatsi Clausen, M., Nicol, M., Gill, J.
- Representativeness of Mobile Internet Surveys - A comparative study of CAMI vs. CATI ; 2009; Maier, U., Neubarth, W., Grosser, A., Hombach, A.
- The use of online data-collection in financial services market measurement research : the FRS experience...; 2009; Cooke, M., Watkins, N.
- Using flash type questions – stroke of luck or curse for data quality?; 2009; Laufer, S., Klapproth, U., Noll, S.
- Pause Mechanism in Complex Online Surveys; 2009; Milewski, J.
- Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: Experimental Results for the Randomized Response Technique (RRT...; 2009; Coutts, E., Jann, B.
- Response Formats in Cross-cultural Comparisons in Web-based Surveys; 2009; Thomas, R. K.l, Terhanian, G., Funke, F.
- Generic or Project-Specific Mail? – The Influence of Invitations on Response Behaviour in the...; 2009; Schroll, S.
- Results from 6 Independent Web Experiments Comparing Visual Analogue Scales with Categorical Scales; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Relevance Of Health-Related Online-Information In Offline- And Online-Samples; 2009; Stetina, B. U., McElheney, J., Lehenbauer, M., Hinterberger, E., Pintzinger, N., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- Data Collection online: Can do, must (not) do, Should do; 2009; Diesner, J., Gadeib, A., Lüttschwager, F., Sassinot-Uny, L.
- Three Different Designs of Type Ranking‐Questions; 2009; Sackl, A.
- Usability of Mobile Surveys; 2009; Tarkus, A.
- Gay and Lesbian People: The Use of Online Communication Services; 2009; Lehenbauer, M., Stetina, B. U., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- An Online Study on Coping with Anxiety and Disease-Specific Internet Use in Panic Attack Sufferers; 2009; König, D., Hiebler, C., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- Distortion of demographics through technically induced dropout in restricted online surveys; 2009; Voracek, M., Stieger, S., Goeritz, A.
- An Internet-based Study on Coping with Illness and Attitudes towards Online Health Care in Cancer Patients...; 2009; Setz, J., König, D., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- WebEXEC: A Short Self-Report Measure of Executive Function Suitable for Administration via the Internet...; 2009; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- Does the seriousness check really sieve out datasets with bad data quality?; 2009; Stieger, S., Reips, U. -D.
- Respondents’ Evaluations of Questionnaires: A Single-Item Open-Ended Instrument for Quality Control...; 2009; Baier, C., Kaczmirek, L., Züll, C.
- Let's go formative: Continuous student ratings with Web 2.0 application Twitter; 2009; Burger, C., Stieger, S.
- Don't know and no opinion responses in Web surveys; 2009; Mechling, J., Baker, R. P., Couper, M. P.
- Mixed Methods in Online Research; Conceptualisation and Future Research Agenda; 2009; Koller, M., Sinitsa, E.
- Market Research Online and Offline - Differences in output and processing of Qualitative Online and...; 2009; Knorr, H., Krischke-Ramaswamy, M.
- Informal Learning in Virtual Communities. Individual Practice between Information Retrieval, Observation...; 2009; Kahnwald, N.
- Self-Efficacy Of Online Health Seekers; 2009; Stetina, B. U., Schramel, C., Lehenbauer, M., Schawill, W., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- Investigating the High Hurdle Technique; 2009; Frauendorfer, D., Reips, U. -D.
- Volumetric Forecast based on Online Access Panels; 2009; Rodenhausen, T., Drewes, F.
- How representative are sentiments expressed in social media for the marketing target audience? A comparison...; 2009; Jarchow, C., Thomas, J.
- SNB - Social Network Barometer; 2009; Drosdow, M., Geißler, H.
- Online Reputation Systems: The Effects of Feedback Comments and Reactions on Building and Rebuilding...; 2009; Utz, S., Matzat, U., Snijders, C.
- Using Interactive Features to Motivate and Probe Responses to Open-Ended Questions; 2009; Christian, L. M., Oudejans, M.
- Payments via Paypal as an Incentive in Online Panels; 2009; Goeritz, A., Wolff, H.-G., Goldstein, D. G.
- Advertising Effects of Online Video Ads; 2009; Wolf, M., Schönfeldt, J.
- The impact of privacy concerns on data collection; 2009; Reips, U. -D., Joinson, A. N., Buchanan, T., Schofield Paine, C.
- Online election forecasts; 2009; Faas, T., Geißler, H.
- Propensity Score Adjustment for Web Survey of Voting Behavior: A Case in Japan; 2009; Kobayashi, T.
- Why Do I Use the Social Web?” Exploring the Motives of Active and Passive Users via Focus Groups...; 2009; Jers, C., Taddicken, M., Schenk, M.
- Diffusion of Mobile Services Adoption in Taiwan; 2009; Doong, H.-S., Wang, H.-C.
- Verbal Vs Visual Response Options: Reconciling Meanings Conveyed by a Computer Aided Visual Rating Scale...; 2009; Garland, P., Cape, P.
- Strategies for Increasing Response Rates in Web Surveys and their Differential Effects on Sample Composition...; 2009; Haas, I., Bosnjak, M., Bandilla, W., P., Galesic, M.Couper, M. P.
- Increasing response rates in list based samples; 2009; Keusch, F., Kurz, H., Penzkofer, P.
- GPCP: A German Version of the Scale for Online Privacy Concern and Protection for Use on the Internet...; 2009; Oostlander, J., Reips, U. -D., Buchanan, T.
- Resolving the Privacy Paradox? - How Privacy Concerns, Strategic Self-presentation, and Norms Influence...; 2009; Utz, S.
- AGOF internet facts – increasing the response rate for onsite-surveys; 2009; Förstel, H.
- Implementation of a reaction time tool for brand measurement at Swisscom; 2009; Paar, I., Urbahn, J.
- It’s all about customer satisfaction - Advantages and limitations of online surveys in applied...; 2009; Einhorn, M., Klein-Reesink, T., Löffler, M.
- Potential Of The Mobile Internet - What You Ask Is What You Get; 2009; Neubarth, W., Maier, U., Geißlitz, A.