Web Survey Bibliography
Social networking platforms and online communities are among the most popular Internet applications, and explanatory developments of the “Web 2.0” or “Social Web”.
They allow their users to set up a personal profile, to communicate with other members, and to present photos or videos online.
In September 2008, 1.979 persons were surveyed representatively for the Internet users in an online survey.
The aim of this survey was to analyse the awareness and use of various online networking platforms, to map the different user structures and to create a uniform measurement for the comparability of these platforms. Furthermore, motives of users as well as reasons of non-users, arguing against the use of online networks, were analysed. It was surveyed which data the users in the individual networks reveal about themselves, and how they estimate the data security of the respective network. The extent to which the networks differ in the perception of their users as opposed to non-users was analysed as well.
Results for the 12 largest online networks in Germany, like Facebook, Xing, Wer-kennt-wen, Myspace or Stayfriends, are available. By means of these results, predications about the formation and motives of different networks’ users can be made. Furthermore, based on this survey, motivational structures can be depicted for the individual networking platforms, and estimations on their data security can be made. Regarding the use of online networks, significant differences depending on gender, region or education can be detected.
Conference homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Social networks (118)
- Sampling, Channels, and Contact Strategies in Internet Survey; 2013; Macrì, E., Tessitore, C.
- Internet-Based Recruitment to a Depression Prevention Intervention: Lessons From the Mood Memos Study...; 2013; Morgan, A. J., Jorm, A. F., Mackinnon, A. J.
- Sampling online communities: using triplets as basis for a (semi-) automated hyperlink web crawler.; 2013; Veny, Y.
- Use of a Social Networking Web Site for Recruiting Canadian Youth for Medical Research; 2013; Chu, J. L., Snider, C. E.
- 'Ready to complete the survey on Facebook': Web 2.0 as a research tool in business studies; 2013; Gregori, A., Baltar, F.
- Surveying “difficult-to-sample” backpackers through Facebook? Employing a mixed-mode dual...; 2013; Morris Paris, C.
- The integration of facebook into class management: an exploratory study; 2012; Chou, P. N.
- Metering mobile usage. Insights from global Arbitron mobile trends panel; 2012; Verkasalo, H.
- Social media as a data collection tool: the impact of Facebook in behavioural research; 2012; Zoppos, E.
- Snowball Sampling in Online Social Networks; 2012; Raissi, M., Ackland, R.
- The Use of Facebook as a Locating and Contacting Tool; 2012; McCarthy, T.
- Efficacy of a health-related Facebook social network site on health-seeking behaviors; 2012; Woolley, P., Peterson, M.
- Use of Web 2.0 to Recruit Australian Gay Men to an Online HIV/AIDS Survey; 2012; Theriault, N., Bi, P., Hiller, J. E., Nor, M.
- The use of new technologies on the British Birth Cohort Studies; 2012; Calderwood, L.
- Reliable Online Social Network Data Collection; 2012; Abdesslem, F. B., Parris, I., Henderson, T.
- Statisticians don’t like non-probability; 2012; Murphy, J.
- Comments on Using Facebook as a Sampling Frame for Surveys; 2012; Peytchev, A.
- Diasporas on the web: new networks, new methodologies; 2012; Crush, J., Eberhardt, C., Caesar, M., Chikanda, A., Pendleton, W., Hill, A.
- Not by the Book: Facebook as a Sampling Frame; 2012; Brickman Bhutta, C.
- Research design for studying online communities with web surveys; 2012; Petrovcic, A., Petric, G., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Comfortable in the new medium: How online qual can benefit from our share-happy culture ; 2012; Rubenstein, P.
- The Effectiveness of Survey Recruitment Methods in Second Life; 2012; Dean, E., Cook, S., Murphy, J., Keating, M.
- Update Your Status Lately? – Then Why Not Respond to Our Survey!; 2012; Borie-Holtz, D.
- The Effect of Mode on Participant Responses to Qualitative Research in Virtual Worlds; 2012; Dipko, S., Billington, C., Brick, P. D.
- Opening Up Online: Social Networking and Online Survey Response Behaviors; 2012; Turner, S., Lackey, M., Irwin, N.
- Viability of Using Facebook to Increase Response Rates in an ABS Survey; 2012; Ruggiere, P., Sams, A., Niermann, A., Romero, E.
- Can Social Media Research replace traditional research methods?; 2012; Faber, T., Einhorn, M., Hofmann, O., Loeffler, M.
- Building online communities; 2011; Mlačić, B., Milas, G., Mikloušić, I.
- 2nd WEBDATANET Meeting Amsterdam. Global Data Collecting; 2011; van Beveren, I.
- Panel Recruitment via Facebook; 2011; Toepoel, V.
- New data sources for statistics: Experiences at Statistics Netherlands; 2011; Daas, P., ten Bosch, O., de Blois, C., Hoekstra, R., Roos, M.
- The Battle For Business Data: New Technologies Critical To Researchers' Arsenal; 2011; Anderson, J.
- Optimum Blending of Panels and Social Network Respondents; 2011; Gittelman, S. H., Portner, A.
- Seeking the right blend: Part II: What happens when you mix panel respondents and social network respondents...; 2011; Gittelman, S. H., Portner, A.
- Seeking the right blend: Part I: What happens when you mix panel respondents and social network respondents...; 2011; Gittelman, S. H., Portner, A.
- Web Survey Process within the Concept of eSocial Sciences; 2011; Vehovar, V.
- LinkedIn and Facebook in Belgium: The Influences and Biases of Social Network Sites in Recruitment and...; 2011; Caers, R., Castelyns, V.
- Researching Personal Information on the Public Web - Methods and Ethics; 2011; Wilkinson, D., Thelwall, M.
- A course is a course is a course: Factor invariance in student evaluation of online, blended and face...; 2011; Dziuban, C. D., Moskal, P.
- Twitter mood predicts the stock market.; 2011; Bollen, J., Mao, H., Zeng, X.-J.
- Using Facebook to Locate Sample Members; 2011; Rhodes, B. B., Marks, E. L.
- The power of qualitative research in the era of social media; 2011; Branthwaite, A., Patterson, S.
- Internet & Learning: A Decade of Transformation in Learning Practices; 2011; Haythornthwaite, C., Andrews, R., Jones, C., de Castell, S., Goodfellow, R., Jewitt, C., Barton, D.
- Social Science Research Methods in Internet Time; 2011; Karpf, D. A.
- Current state of social media use for survey research; 2011; Hill, C. A., Dean, E.
- Examining Response Rates and Patterns in a Multimode Experiment: A Study of Department Chairs/Heads...; 2011; Foster, K. N., Gaughan, M.
- Response Quantity, Response Quality, and Costs of Building an Online Panel via Social Contacts.; 2011; Toepoel, V.
- Mobile Experience Sampling: Reaching the Parts of Facebook Other Methods Cannot Reach; 2010; Abdesslem, F. B., Parris, I., Henderson, T.
- Walking in Facebook: A Case Study of Unbiased Sampling of OSNs; 2010; Gjoka, M., Kurant, M., Butts, C. T., Markopoulou, A.
- Social Networking Sites: Evaluating and Investigating their use in Academic Research; 2010; Redmond, F.