Web Survey Bibliography
Objectives: The main purpose of this Internet-based study was to evaluate coping with illness in an online sample of cancer patients and to compare the findings with data of an offline study conducted by Zaun (2002). Additionally, the patients were asked to point out their attitudes towards online health care.
Methods and data: The online survey included the Freiburger Questionnaire on Coping with Illness (FKV-LIS) measuring different coping strategies (depressive coping, active, problem-oriented coping, distraction and self-encouragement, religiousness and searching for meaning, trivializing and wishful thinking), and the questionnaire Attitudes towards online Health Care (ATOHC) for the evaluation of attitudes towards healthrelated Internet use (community and news, outcomes, trusted information and advice, self-efficacy in evaluating information and intention, disclosure). The sample was recruited in German-speaking cancer bulletin boards. The online questionnaire was also promoted through links on medical and health information sites. In this online study the data of 293 patients with various types of cancer (e.g., breast cancer, Hodgkin's disease, prostate cancer) was analysed. The participants mainly were female (67%) and had a higher education (43%).
Results: Compared with patients of the offline study conducted by Zaun (2002), the online sample particularly showed less depressive coping as well as trivializing and wishful thinking. Furthermore, they used significantly more active, problem-oriented coping, distraction and self-encouragement. The sample's attitudes towards the online community and web-based news and their self-efficacy in evaluating information on the Internet were moderate. However, trust in web-based information and advice as well as disclosure were relatively low. The patients perceived their psychological and physical health as being moderately influenced by their health-related Internet use.
Conclusions: In comparison to an offline sample, the online recruited cancer patients' less depressive and more active coping, their higher distraction and self-encouragement indicate a more positive illness processing and a stronger self-efficacy of Internet users participating in cancer bulletin boards or searching for online health information. Thus, the web-based activities as well as a kind of healthy distrust of online information and advice might be an additional expression of active, problem-oriented and reflective coping with illness.
Conference homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (435)
- The weirdest people in the world?; 2010; Heine, S. J., Henrich, J., Norenzayan, A.
- Presentation of a single item versus a grid: Effects on the vitality and mental health subscales of...; 2010; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Paradata: a new data source from web-administered measures; 2010; Sowan, A. K., Jenkins, L. S.
- Application of a check-all-that-apply question for the evaluation of strawberry cultivars from a breeding...; 2010; Lado, J., Vicente, E., Manzzioni, A., Ares, G.
- Using Online Surveys to Assess Information Needs of Healthcare Professionals in Low Resource Settings...; 2010; Ohkubo, S., Sullivan, T.
- Can biomarkers be collected in an Internet survey? A pilot study in the LISS panel; 2010; Avendano, M., Mackenbach, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Collecting Genetic Samples in Population Wide (Panel) Surveys: Feasibility, Nonresponse and Selectivity...; 2010; Dohmen, T., Falk, A., Montag, C., Reuter, M., Schonlau, M., Schupp, J., Siegel, N., Sunde, U., Wagner...
- The Role of Landline and Cell Phone Usage Patterns in Nonreponse Error Potential Among Young Adults...; 2010; Currivan, D. B., Levine, B., Mayo, N.
- Using a Simulation Study to Examine Strategies for Combining Cell and Landline Survey Samples; 2010; Duffy, T., Bausch, S., Iachan, R., Lu, B.
- Meeting the Challenges of Converting a Large Establishment Survey from Paper to Electronic Administration...; 2010; Roe, D. J., Thalji, L., Loft, J., Flicker, L., Stockdale, J., Stagnitti, M.
- Assessing the Accuracy of the Face-to-Face Recruited Internet Survey Platform: A Comparison of Behavioral...; 2010; Villar, A., Malka, A., Krosnick, J. A.
- Internet Panels and Health Research: Findings from National RDD Surveys.; 2010; Boyle, J.
- The Subject Lines of Web Survey Invitations and Participation Rates; 2010; Titiz, H., Ziniel, S.
- Nonresponse Bias and the Impact of Incentives in a Survey of Physician Members of a Professional Organization...; 2010; Buttermore, N. R.
- The Effectiveness of Multiple Modes Among Young Adults; 2010; Anderson-Knott, M., Jorgensen, S., Armitage, J.
- Diversity of Methods: Assessment of Quantitative and Qualitative Research Multiplier Effects.; 2010; Ballou, J., Roff, B., Anderson, M.
- A Comparison of Psychometric Properties Between Internet and Paper Versions of Two Depression Instruments...; 2010; Andersson, G., Engstroem, I., Hollaendare, F.
- The Influence of Response Mode on Study Results: Offering Cigarette Smokers a Choice of Postal or Online...; 2010; Callas, P. W., Solomon, L. J., Hughes, J. R., Livingston, A. E.
- The cancer survivor survey: Using Web-based technology to assess cancer survivor challenges; 2010; M., Skalla, K., Onega, T., Anton, K., Gallagher, S., Rhoda, J., DiSalvo , W., Dietrich, A. M.Smith,...
- Use of a Web-based Questionnaire in the Black Women's Health Study; 2010; W., Boggs, D. A., Palmer, J. R., Rosenberg, L.Russell, C. W.
- Reaching Emergency Medical Services Providers: Is One Survey Mode Better than Another?; 2010; Schmuhl, P., Van Duker, H., Gurley, K. L., Webster, A., Olson, L. M.
- Statistical foundations of cell-phone surveys; 2010; Wolter, K., Smith, P., Blumberg, S. J.
- Social desirability and self-reported health risk behaviors in web-based research: three longitudinal...; 2010; Crutzen, R., Goeritz, A.
- The effect of cash lottery on response rates to an online health survey among members of the Canadian...; 2010; Doerfling, P., Kopec, J., Liang, M. H., Esdaile, J. M.
- Reliability and Validity of an Internet-based Questionnaire Measuring Lifetime Physical Activity; 2010; De Vera, M. A., Ratzlaff, C., Doerfling, P., Kopec, J.
- A Web-Based Versus Paper Questionnaire on Alcohol and Tobacco in Adolescents; 2010; Lygidakis, C., Rigon, S., Cambiaso, S., Bottoli, E., Cuozzo, F., Bonetti, S., Della Bella, C., Marzo...
- Test-retest reliability of a questionnaire for the Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey; 2010; Bae, J., Joung, H., Kwon, K. N., Kim, Y. T., Kim, J. -Y., Park, S. -W.
- Using downloadable songs from Apple iTunes as a novel incentive for college students participating in...; 2010; McCree-Hale, R., De La Cruz, N. G., Montgomery, A. E.
- Comparison of Paper, Web, and IVR Responses in the Veterans Health Administration Survey; 2010; Teclaw, R., Osatuke, K., Yanovsky, B., Moore, S., Dyrenforth, S.
- Multi-Mode and Method Experiment in a Study of Nurses; 2010; Friese, C. R., Lee, C. S., O'Brien, S., Crawford, S. D.
- Computer Literacy and the Accuracy of Substance Use Reporting in an ACASI Survey; 2010; Johnson, T. P., Fendrich, M., Mackesy-Amiti, M. E.
- Is web interviewing a good alternative to telephone interviewing? Findings from the International Tobacco...; 2010; Nagelhout, G. E., Willemsen, M. C., Thompson, M. E., Fong, G. T., van den Putte, B., de Vries, H.
- A mixed-mode approach to data collection: combining web and paper questionnaires to examine nurses...; 2010; Guise, V., Chambers, M., Välimäki, M., Makkonen, P.
- Comparison between web-based and paper versions of a self-administered anthropometric questionnaire; 2010; Touvier, M., Méjean, C., Kesse-Guyo, E., Malon, A.Castetbon, K., Hercberg, S., Pollet, C.
- Use of an online questionnaire for follow-up of young female students recruited to a randomised controlled...; 2010; Atherton, H., Oakeshott, P., Aghaizu, A., Hay, P., Kerry, S.
- Effects of a Financial Incentive on Health Researchers’ Response to an Online Survey: a Randomized...; 2010; Wilson, P. M., Petticrew, M., Calnan, M., Nazareth, I.
- Reaching young adult smokers through the Internet: Comparison of three recruitment mechanisms; 2010; Ramo, D. E., Hall, S. M., Prochaska, J. J.
- College Students' Response Rate to an Incentivized Combination of Postal and Web-Based Health Survey; 2010; Balajti I., Daragķ, L., Ádány, R., Kķsa, K.
- Randomized trial showed that an “embedded” survey strategy optimized authorization rates...; 2010; Murdoch, M., Pietila, D. M., Partin, M. R.
- Telephone and web-based pediatric day surgery questionnaires; 2010; Amari, E., Vandebeek, C., Montgomery, C. J., Skarsgard, E., Ansermino, J. M.
- Interactive Voice Response and web-based questionnaires for population-based infectious disease reporting...; 2010; Bexelius, C., Merk, H., Sandin, S., Nyrén, O., Kühlmann-Berenzon, S., Linde, A., Litton, J.-E.
- Web-Based Survey of US Health Educators: Challenges and Lessons; 2010; Chen, L.-S., Goodson, P.
- Mode and Context Effects in Measuring Household Assets; 2010; van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A.
- A Web-Based Tool for Assessing and Improving the Usefulness of Community Health Assessments; 2009; Stoto, M. A., Straus, S. G., Bohn, C., Irani, P.
- Piloting Data Collection via Cell Phones: Results, Experiences, and Lessons Learned; 2009; ZuWallack, R. S.
- The Use of Online Methodologies in Data Collection for Gambling and Gaming Addictions; 2009; Griffiths, M. D.
- Research-on-research helps American Cancer Society assess the best modes for an ongoing study; 2009; Blais, L. M., Roller, M. R.
- The Introduction of a Cell Phone Oversample to the Ohio Family Health Survey: Covering the Undercovered...; 2009; Duffy, T., Iachan, R., Bausch, S., Muzzy, S., ZuWallack, R. S.
- Examining Mail and Web Survey Response Differences in a Survey on Assessment of Hospital Inpatient Care...; 2009; Lynch, J., Chen, P., Gordek, H., Babeu, L.
- A Comparison of Different Survey Periods in Online Surveys of Persons with Eating Disorders and Their...; 2009; Wesemann, D., Grunwald, A., Grunwald, M.