Web Survey Bibliography
Objectives: The main purpose of this Internet-based study was to evaluate coping with illness in an online sample of cancer patients and to compare the findings with data of an offline study conducted by Zaun (2002). Additionally, the patients were asked to point out their attitudes towards online health care.
Methods and data: The online survey included the Freiburger Questionnaire on Coping with Illness (FKV-LIS) measuring different coping strategies (depressive coping, active, problem-oriented coping, distraction and self-encouragement, religiousness and searching for meaning, trivializing and wishful thinking), and the questionnaire Attitudes towards online Health Care (ATOHC) for the evaluation of attitudes towards healthrelated Internet use (community and news, outcomes, trusted information and advice, self-efficacy in evaluating information and intention, disclosure). The sample was recruited in German-speaking cancer bulletin boards. The online questionnaire was also promoted through links on medical and health information sites. In this online study the data of 293 patients with various types of cancer (e.g., breast cancer, Hodgkin's disease, prostate cancer) was analysed. The participants mainly were female (67%) and had a higher education (43%).
Results: Compared with patients of the offline study conducted by Zaun (2002), the online sample particularly showed less depressive coping as well as trivializing and wishful thinking. Furthermore, they used significantly more active, problem-oriented coping, distraction and self-encouragement. The sample's attitudes towards the online community and web-based news and their self-efficacy in evaluating information on the Internet were moderate. However, trust in web-based information and advice as well as disclosure were relatively low. The patients perceived their psychological and physical health as being moderately influenced by their health-related Internet use.
Conclusions: In comparison to an offline sample, the online recruited cancer patients' less depressive and more active coping, their higher distraction and self-encouragement indicate a more positive illness processing and a stronger self-efficacy of Internet users participating in cancer bulletin boards or searching for online health information. Thus, the web-based activities as well as a kind of healthy distrust of online information and advice might be an additional expression of active, problem-oriented and reflective coping with illness.
Conference homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Other (470)
- Dealing with Nonresponse in Survey Sampling: an Item Response Modeling Approach; 2010; Matei, A.
- Blogosphere and Democracy in Portugal–Results of a Websurvey; 2010; Carvalho, T., Casanova, J. L.
- Establishing a Qualitative Data Archive in Austria; 2010; Smioski, A.
- Web Based Paper Form Verification Using QueXF; 2010; Zammit, A.
- Does Making The Survey Topic More Salient Lead To An Expert Bias? – The Influence of Announcing...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Weilbuchner, N., Jungreithmaier, S.
- Developing and Evaluating a Student Online Panel.; 2010; Stiglbauer, B., Gamsjäger, M., Gnambs, T., Batinic, B., Altrichter, H.
- Online Access Panels: A detailed look at different Ways of Entering, their Costs and Participation Behavior...; 2010; Führer, R., Keusch, F.
- Theoretical model of context-sensitive mobile methods; 2010; Maxl, E.
- Can a professional questionnaire layout make up for a boring topic? The mediating role of topic interest...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Jungreithmaier, S., Weilbuchner, N., Führer, R., Kling, H.
- Using Propensity Score Weighting to Reduce Bias of a Swiss Market Research Web Panel; 2010; Wiegand, G., Jella, H., Beat, H., Stefan, L.
- A short self-report measure of problems with executive function suitable for administration via the...; 2010; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- Combining Link-Tracing Sampling and Cluster Sampling to Estimate Totals and Means of Hidden Human Populations...; 2010; Félix-Medina, M. H., Monjardin, P. E.
- Quality in Unimode and Mixed-Mode designs: A Multitrait-Multimethod approach; 2010; Revilla, M.
- Some Notes on the Probability Space of Statistical Surveys; 2010; Petrakos, G.
- The Ethics of Outsourcing Online Survey Research; 2010; Allen, P. J., Roberts, L. D.
- Comparative effectiveness report: online survey tools; 2010; Gottliebson, D., Layton, N., Wilson, E.
- Web survey design and usability; 2010; Karakoyun, F., Kurt, A. A.
- Web panels: Replacement technology for market research; 2010; Goeritz, A.
- Test-retest reliability of a questionnaire for the Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey; 2010; Bae, J., Joung, H., Kwon, K. N., Kim, Y. T., Kim, J. -Y., Park, S. -W.
- Nine issues for Internet-based survey research in service industries ; 2010; Wang, H.-C., Doong, H.-S.
- Color red in web-based knowledge testing; 2010; Gnambs, T., , Batinic, B.Appel, M.
- A comparison of surveys using different modes of data collection; 2010; Revilla, M., Saris, W. E.
- Exploring the feasibility of an online contextualised animation-based questionnaire for educational...; 2010; Chien, Y.-T., Chang, C.-Y.
- Examining the effects of website-induced flow in professional sporting team websites; 2010; O'Cass, A., Carlson, J.
- Research into questionnaire design - A summary of the literature; 2010; Lietz, P.
- Improving sample quality by utilising the multiple contacts approach; 2010; Przewlocka, J.
- Relationship of Metacognitive Monitoring with Interaction in an Asynchronous Online Discussion Forum; 2010; Topcu, A.
- A Research on the Application of Web Survey in Sport; 2010; Chen, Z. X., Pan, D. L., Lu, H. N.
- A Spanish Continuous Volunteer Web Survey: Sample Bias, Weighting and Efficiency; 2010; de Pedraza, P., Tijdens, K., de Bustillo, R., Steinmetz, S.
- College Students' Response Rate to an Incentivized Combination of Postal and Web-Based Health Survey; 2010; Balajti I., Daragó, L., Ádány, R., Kósa, K.
- Improving the response rate and quality in Web-based surveys through the personalization and frequency...; 2010; Muñoz-Leiva, F., Sánchez-Fernández, J., Montoro-Ríos, F. J., Ibáñez-Zapata, J. A.
- What are participants doing while filling in an online questionnaire: A paradata collection tool and...; 2010; Stieger, S., Reips, U. -D.
- An analysis of the effect of pre-incentives and post-incentives based on draws on response to web surveys...; 2010; Sánchez-Fernández, J., Muñoz-Leiva, F., Montoro-Ríos, F. J., Ibáñez-Zapata, J. A.
- MarketTools TrueSample; 2009
- ISO 26362 Access panels in market, opinion, and social research-Vocabulary and service requirements; 2009
- Getting data for (business) statistics: What's new? What's next?; 2009; Snijkers, G.
- Social Network Services as Data Sources and Platforms for e-Researching Social Networks; 2009; Ackland, R.
- Stochastic properties of the Internet sample; 2009; Getka-Wilczynska, E.
- Web based survey: an emerging tool; 2009; Srivenkataramana, T., Saisree, M.
- The impact of gender in e-mailed survey invitations; 2009; Derham, P.
- The Coverage Bias of Mobile Web Surveys Across European Countries ; 2009; Fuchs, M., Busse, B.
- Young people, the Internet and Political Participation: Findings of a web survey in Italy, Spain and...; 2009; Calenda, D., Meijer, A.
- Interactivity in self-administered surveys. Influence on respondents' experience; 2009; Suarez Vazquez, A., Garcia Rodriguez, N., Alvarez, M. B.
- Selecting techniques for use in an internet survey; 2009; B., Han, V., Albaum, G., Thirkell, P.Wiley, J. B.
- Designing Effective Web Survey Forms; 2009; Mitchell, J.
- Metrics for panel contribution: a non probabilistic platform; 2009; Gittelmam, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Mode effects in Switzerland: non‐response and measurement error on the European Social Survey; 2009; Roberts, C.
- Reason analysis: an ambitious alternative for mixed‐mode survey design; 2009; Jeřábek, H.
- Response rates in multi actor surveys; 2009; Pasteels, I., Ponnet, K., Mortelmans, D.
- Unit non‐response in panel surveys: empirical finding from an experiment; 2009; Haunberger, S.