Web Survey Bibliography
Objectives: The purpose of this web-based study on anxiety and panic was to examine different coping styles and disease-specific Internet use in an online sample of panic attack sufferers. The online survey was mainly addressed to patients with panic disorder; however, it was expected that people who have experienced panic attacks due to other psychological or physical problems would participate as well.
Methods: The online study was promoted through links on German-speaking anxiety-related discussion boards and information sites. Besides the Panic Disorder Self-Report (PDSR) and several anxiety-specific questions, the online survey also included the Coping with Anxiety Questionnaire (CAQ).
Results: From June until October 2008 the sites of the web-based survey were visited more than 5000 times. The preliminary analysis refers to 1631 panic attack sufferers, who provided complete data sets. The majority of this sample was female (78%), the mean age was 34 years (range 13-82). 82% had panic attacks during the last six month and 18% had experienced panic attacks more than six month ago. Asking if they knew which kind of anxiety disorder they suffered from, most of the participants pointed out to have "panic disorder" or "general anxiety disorder". In what concerns coping with panic, the strategies "effective coping" and "self-vigilance" were used more often than "avoidant coping". Besides family and friends, online platforms and newsgroups played an important role in getting support to cope with anxiety. Specific Internet information sites were perceived as crucial source of seeking information about anxiety.
Conclusions: The online sample's coping style seems to be active and reflects self-efficacy. The disease-specific Internet use shows that social and emotional support is obtained through web-based platforms; anxiety-related information is gained through medical and health information sites. The high participation rate in the Internet-based study and the numerous e-mails the authors got from participants giving positive feedback concerning this investigation indicate a great demand and acceptance of online research in the field of anxiety and panic.
Conference homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (444)
- Population screening of risky alcohol and drug use via Internet and Interactive Voice Response (IVR):...; 2011; Sinadinovic, K., Wennberg, P., Berman, A. H.
- Developing and Testing a Web-Based Survey to Assess Educational Needs of Multidisciplinary Palliative...; 2011; Schulman-Green, D., Ercolano, E., Lazenby, M., McCorkle, R.
- A web-based survey on mephedrone; 2011; Carhart-Harris, R. L., King, L. A., Nutt, D. J.
- Assessing Response Bias in a Web Survey at a University Faculty; 2011; Menachemi, N.
- Does the number of choice sets matter? Results from a web survey applying a discrete choice experiment...; 2011; Bech, M., Kjaer, T., Lauridsen, J.
- Factorial trial found mixed evidence of effects of pre-notification and pleading on response to Web-...; 2011; Felix, L. M., Burchett, H. E., Edwards, P. J.
- Advantages and limitations of web-based surveys: evidence from a child mental health survey; 2011; Heiervang, E., Goodman, R.
- Sliders for the Smart: Type of Rating Scale on the Web Interacts With Educational Level; 2011; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D., Thomas, R. K.
- The feasibility of Web-based surveys as a data collection tool: a process evaluation ; 2011; Chizawsky L. L. K., Estabrooks, C. A., Sales, A. E.
- The weirdest people in the world?; 2010; Heine, S. J., Henrich, J., Norenzayan, A.
- Presentation of a single item versus a grid: Effects on the vitality and mental health subscales of...; 2010; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Paradata: a new data source from web-administered measures; 2010; Sowan, A. K., Jenkins, L. S.
- Application of a check-all-that-apply question for the evaluation of strawberry cultivars from a breeding...; 2010; Lado, J., Vicente, E., Manzzioni, A., Ares, G.
- Using Online Surveys to Assess Information Needs of Healthcare Professionals in Low Resource Settings...; 2010; Ohkubo, S., Sullivan, T.
- Can biomarkers be collected in an Internet survey? A pilot study in the LISS panel; 2010; Avendano, M., Mackenbach, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Collecting Genetic Samples in Population Wide (Panel) Surveys: Feasibility, Nonresponse and Selectivity...; 2010; Dohmen, T., Falk, A., Montag, C., Reuter, M., Schonlau, M., Schupp, J., Siegel, N., Sunde, U., Wagner...
- The Role of Landline and Cell Phone Usage Patterns in Nonreponse Error Potential Among Young Adults...; 2010; Currivan, D. B., Levine, B., Mayo, N.
- Using a Simulation Study to Examine Strategies for Combining Cell and Landline Survey Samples; 2010; Duffy, T., Bausch, S., Iachan, R., Lu, B.
- Meeting the Challenges of Converting a Large Establishment Survey from Paper to Electronic Administration...; 2010; Roe, D. J., Thalji, L., Loft, J., Flicker, L., Stockdale, J., Stagnitti, M.
- Assessing the Accuracy of the Face-to-Face Recruited Internet Survey Platform: A Comparison of Behavioral...; 2010; Villar, A., Malka, A., Krosnick, J. A.
- Internet Panels and Health Research: Findings from National RDD Surveys.; 2010; Boyle, J.
- The Subject Lines of Web Survey Invitations and Participation Rates; 2010; Titiz, H., Ziniel, S.
- Nonresponse Bias and the Impact of Incentives in a Survey of Physician Members of a Professional Organization...; 2010; Buttermore, N. R.
- The Effectiveness of Multiple Modes Among Young Adults; 2010; Anderson-Knott, M., Jorgensen, S., Armitage, J.
- Diversity of Methods: Assessment of Quantitative and Qualitative Research Multiplier Effects.; 2010; Ballou, J., Roff, B., Anderson, M.
- A Comparison of Psychometric Properties Between Internet and Paper Versions of Two Depression Instruments...; 2010; Andersson, G., Engstroem, I., Hollaendare, F.
- The Influence of Response Mode on Study Results: Offering Cigarette Smokers a Choice of Postal or Online...; 2010; Callas, P. W., Solomon, L. J., Hughes, J. R., Livingston, A. E.
- The cancer survivor survey: Using Web-based technology to assess cancer survivor challenges; 2010; M., Skalla, K., Onega, T., Anton, K., Gallagher, S., Rhoda, J., DiSalvo , W., Dietrich, A. M.Smith,...
- Use of a Web-based Questionnaire in the Black Women's Health Study; 2010; W., Boggs, D. A., Palmer, J. R., Rosenberg, L.Russell, C. W.
- Reaching Emergency Medical Services Providers: Is One Survey Mode Better than Another?; 2010; Schmuhl, P., Van Duker, H., Gurley, K. L., Webster, A., Olson, L. M.
- Statistical foundations of cell-phone surveys; 2010; Wolter, K., Smith, P., Blumberg, S. J.
- Social desirability and self-reported health risk behaviors in web-based research: three longitudinal...; 2010; Crutzen, R., Goeritz, A.
- The effect of cash lottery on response rates to an online health survey among members of the Canadian...; 2010; Doerfling, P., Kopec, J., Liang, M. H., Esdaile, J. M.
- Reliability and Validity of an Internet-based Questionnaire Measuring Lifetime Physical Activity; 2010; De Vera, M. A., Ratzlaff, C., Doerfling, P., Kopec, J.
- A Web-Based Versus Paper Questionnaire on Alcohol and Tobacco in Adolescents; 2010; Lygidakis, C., Rigon, S., Cambiaso, S., Bottoli, E., Cuozzo, F., Bonetti, S., Della Bella, C., Marzo...
- Test-retest reliability of a questionnaire for the Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey; 2010; Bae, J., Joung, H., Kwon, K. N., Kim, Y. T., Kim, J. -Y., Park, S. -W.
- Using downloadable songs from Apple iTunes as a novel incentive for college students participating in...; 2010; McCree-Hale, R., De La Cruz, N. G., Montgomery, A. E.
- Comparison of Paper, Web, and IVR Responses in the Veterans Health Administration Survey; 2010; Teclaw, R., Osatuke, K., Yanovsky, B., Moore, S., Dyrenforth, S.
- Multi-Mode and Method Experiment in a Study of Nurses; 2010; Friese, C. R., Lee, C. S., O'Brien, S., Crawford, S. D.
- Computer Literacy and the Accuracy of Substance Use Reporting in an ACASI Survey; 2010; Johnson, T. P., Fendrich, M., Mackesy-Amiti, M. E.
- Is web interviewing a good alternative to telephone interviewing? Findings from the International Tobacco...; 2010; Nagelhout, G. E., Willemsen, M. C., Thompson, M. E., Fong, G. T., van den Putte, B., de Vries, H.
- A mixed-mode approach to data collection: combining web and paper questionnaires to examine nurses...; 2010; Guise, V., Chambers, M., Välimäki, M., Makkonen, P.
- Comparison between web-based and paper versions of a self-administered anthropometric questionnaire; 2010; Touvier, M., Méjean, C., Kesse-Guyo, E., Malon, A.Castetbon, K., Hercberg, S., Pollet, C.
- Use of an online questionnaire for follow-up of young female students recruited to a randomised controlled...; 2010; Atherton, H., Oakeshott, P., Aghaizu, A., Hay, P., Kerry, S.
- Effects of a Financial Incentive on Health Researchers’ Response to an Online Survey: a Randomized...; 2010; Wilson, P. M., Petticrew, M., Calnan, M., Nazareth, I.
- Reaching young adult smokers through the Internet: Comparison of three recruitment mechanisms; 2010; Ramo, D. E., Hall, S. M., Prochaska, J. J.
- College Students' Response Rate to an Incentivized Combination of Postal and Web-Based Health Survey; 2010; Balajti I., Daragķ, L., Ádány, R., Kķsa, K.
- Randomized trial showed that an “embedded” survey strategy optimized authorization rates...; 2010; Murdoch, M., Pietila, D. M., Partin, M. R.
- Telephone and web-based pediatric day surgery questionnaires; 2010; Amari, E., Vandebeek, C., Montgomery, C. J., Skarsgard, E., Ansermino, J. M.
- Interactive Voice Response and web-based questionnaires for population-based infectious disease reporting...; 2010; Bexelius, C., Merk, H., Sandin, S., Nyrén, O., Kühlmann-Berenzon, S., Linde, A., Litton, J.-E.