Web Survey Bibliography
Objectives: The purpose of this web-based study on anxiety and panic was to examine different coping styles and disease-specific Internet use in an online sample of panic attack sufferers. The online survey was mainly addressed to patients with panic disorder; however, it was expected that people who have experienced panic attacks due to other psychological or physical problems would participate as well.
Methods: The online study was promoted through links on German-speaking anxiety-related discussion boards and information sites. Besides the Panic Disorder Self-Report (PDSR) and several anxiety-specific questions, the online survey also included the Coping with Anxiety Questionnaire (CAQ).
Results: From June until October 2008 the sites of the web-based survey were visited more than 5000 times. The preliminary analysis refers to 1631 panic attack sufferers, who provided complete data sets. The majority of this sample was female (78%), the mean age was 34 years (range 13-82). 82% had panic attacks during the last six month and 18% had experienced panic attacks more than six month ago. Asking if they knew which kind of anxiety disorder they suffered from, most of the participants pointed out to have "panic disorder" or "general anxiety disorder". In what concerns coping with panic, the strategies "effective coping" and "self-vigilance" were used more often than "avoidant coping". Besides family and friends, online platforms and newsgroups played an important role in getting support to cope with anxiety. Specific Internet information sites were perceived as crucial source of seeking information about anxiety.
Conclusions: The online sample's coping style seems to be active and reflects self-efficacy. The disease-specific Internet use shows that social and emotional support is obtained through web-based platforms; anxiety-related information is gained through medical and health information sites. The high participation rate in the Internet-based study and the numerous e-mails the authors got from participants giving positive feedback concerning this investigation indicate a great demand and acceptance of online research in the field of anxiety and panic.
Conference homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Other (508)
- Assessment of propensity score methods on nonresponse bias adjustment; 2011; Alanya, A., Billiet, J., Matsuo, H.
- Discriminant validity and test–retest reliability of a self-administered Internet-based questionnaire...; 2011; Burnand, B., Cornuz , J., Durieux, P., Taffé, P., Voellinger, R.
- The Global Online Sexuality Survey (GOSS): Erectile Dysfunction Among Arabic-Speaking Internet Users...; 2011; Shaeer, K., Shaeer, O. K. Z.
- Anchoring vignettes: response consistency and order effects; 2011; Kapteyn, A., Smith, J. P., van Soest, A., Vonkova, H.
- Impact of the mode of data collection on the quality of survey questions depending on respondents'...; 2011; Revilla, M.
- A Web Survey Program Based on Computer Technology and Its Application to Evaluation Model about Youth...; 2011; Song, M., Song, Y-G., Yang, T.
- Teens Ask Doctors on the Internet: A One-Year Survey of an Adolescent Health Internet Forum ; 2011; Hardoff, D., Rigler, S.
- Conceptualizing the value of Web content in marketing research; 2011; Chang, J.
- Reliability and validity of self-reported burnout in college students: A cross randomized comparison...; 2011; Bonafé, F. S. S., Campos, J. A. D. B., Jordani, P. C., Lucindo Zucoloto, M., Maroco, J.
- Are Internet surveys an alternative to face-to-face interviews in contingent valuation? ; 2011; Lindhjem, H. Navrud, S,
- Non-response bias in a web-based health behaviour survey of New Zealand tertiary students; 2011; Connor, J., Kypri, K., Langley, J. D., Maclennan, B., Samaranayaka, A.
- Dropout in Web-based studies: Methodology; 2011; Reips, U. -D.
- Reliability and Validity of self-reported Burnout in college students: A cross randomized comparison...; 2011; Bonafé, F. S. S., Campos, J. A. D. B., Jordani, P. C., Lucindo Zucoloto, M., Maroco, J.
- Image effects on online survey respondents; 2011; Marinica, B.
- Are reluctant panelists worth the effort? Analysis of measurement error in a probability-based Internet...; 2011; Allum, N., Roberts, C., Sturgis, P.
- Mixed-mode surveys: Do different modes produce different data? Evidence from the Greek Candidate Survey...; 2011; Andreadis, I.
- The Influence Of The Direction Of Likert-Type Scales In Web Surveys On Response Behavior In Different...; 2011; Keusch, F.
- Which Technologies Do Respondents Use in Online Surveys – An International Comparison?; 2011; Kaczmirek, L., Behr, D., Bandilla, W.
- Can Internet surveys help us understanding allergic disorders? – results from a large survey in...; 2011; Kalogeromitros, D., Psaltopoulou, T., Makris, M., Koti, I., Chliva, C., Stefanadi, E., Hatziagelaki...
- Improving response rates in web surveys with default setting: the effects of default on web survey participation...; 2011; Jin, L.
- Using online surveys in Vietnam An exploratory study; 2011; Vu, P. H., Hoffmann, J.
- E-survey (surveys based on e-mail & web) Analysis and identification of cold responsive proteins in...; 2011; Sodabeh, J.-G., Ferdous, R.-J., Lello, Z., Ghasem, K., Ghasem, H. S., Gholipoori, A., Siroos, M., Sajjad...
- Development of a web-based survey system for evaluating affective satisfaction ; 2011; Cho, Y., , Han, S. H., Kang, S.Park, J.
- E-survey (surveys based on e-mail & web); 2011; Kalantari, D. H., Kalantari, D. E., Maleki, S.
- A Method for Evaluating Mode Effects in Mixed-mode Surveys; 2011; Vannieuwenhuyze, J., Loosveldt, G., Molenberghs, G.
- Handle with Care: The Impact of Using Java Applets in Web-Based Studies on Dropout and Sample Composition...; 2011; Stieger, S., Goeritz, A., Voracek, M.
- An overview of Internet-based surveys in hospitality and tourism journals; 2011; Hung, K., Law, R.
- Advantages and limitations of web-based surveys: evidence from a child mental health survey; 2011; Heiervang, E., Goodman, R.
- Measuring Political Knowledge in Telephone and Web Surveys: A Cross-National Comparison; 2011; Strabac, Z., Aalberg, T.
- Response Rates and Data Quality in Web and Mail Surveys Administered to PhD Holders; 2011; Barrios, M., Villarroya, A., Borrego, A., Olle, C.
- Comparing the quality of data from postal and online questionnaires; 2010; Smith, A. B., King, M. T., Butow, P., Olver, I.
- Maximizing online respondent engagement through a game-way research design; 2010; Swahar, G., Swahar, J.
- Online panel survey, Change and stability of political attitudes; 2010
- Social Networking Sites: Evaluating and Investigating their use in Academic Research; 2010; Redmond, F.
- An Analyze of the Zero Price Effect on Online Business Performance - An Research Based on the Mobile...; 2010; Liu, Y., Yuan, P.
- Dealing with Nonresponse in Survey Sampling: an Item Response Modeling Approach; 2010; Matei, A.
- Blogosphere and Democracy in Portugal–Results of a Websurvey; 2010; Carvalho, T., Casanova, J. L.
- Establishing a Qualitative Data Archive in Austria; 2010; Smioski, A.
- Web Based Paper Form Verification Using QueXF; 2010; Zammit, A.
- Does Making The Survey Topic More Salient Lead To An Expert Bias? – The Influence of Announcing...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Weilbuchner, N., Jungreithmaier, S.
- Developing and Evaluating a Student Online Panel.; 2010; Stiglbauer, B., Gamsjäger, M., Gnambs, T., Batinic, B., Altrichter, H.
- Online Access Panels: A detailed look at different Ways of Entering, their Costs and Participation Behavior...; 2010; Führer, R., Keusch, F.
- Theoretical model of context-sensitive mobile methods; 2010; Maxl, E.
- Can a professional questionnaire layout make up for a boring topic? The mediating role of topic interest...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Jungreithmaier, S., Weilbuchner, N., Führer, R., Kling, H.
- Using Propensity Score Weighting to Reduce Bias of a Swiss Market Research Web Panel; 2010; Wiegand, G., Jella, H., Beat, H., Stefan, L.
- A short self-report measure of problems with executive function suitable for administration via the...; 2010; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- Combining Link-Tracing Sampling and Cluster Sampling to Estimate Totals and Means of Hidden Human Populations...; 2010; Félix-Medina, M. H., Monjardin, P. E.
- Quality in Unimode and Mixed-Mode designs: A Multitrait-Multimethod approach; 2010; Revilla, M.
- Some Notes on the Probability Space of Statistical Surveys; 2010; Petrakos, G.
- The Ethics of Outsourcing Online Survey Research; 2010; Allen, P. J., Roberts, L. D.