Web Survey Bibliography
The use of the Internet in research as a gateway to information sources is well established. However, its potential as a dynamic and interactive research tool is only beginning to be exploited.
This paper outlines the process and pertinent methodological issues relevant to the creation of two asynchronous online discussion boards, as part of a larger PhD study that explored the role of occupational therapists when working with children born preterm. Online discussions are a “permutation” of the traditional focus groups, with the latter having been extensively used in qualitative research as a data collection method. A comparison of traditional focus groups and online discussions is provided in this paper. The features of an asynchronous mode a discussion is discussed as a new “hybrid” mode of communication, which can generate rich responses that are well thought before being posted. The implications that this type of data collection method could have for qualitative research are discussed.
WebCT, the software platform employed for the conduction of the asynchronous online discussions, is well known as a distance learning tool. In this study it has been adapted to provide a multi-threaded online discussion board. The functionality of WebCT, design choices, and the technical infrastructure required to support it, are discussed. Factors such as the logistic challenges associated with the designing of the site, choice of the discussion timing, participant group dynamics, role of the instructor in facilitating participants’ interaction, and finally pertinent ethical issues relevant to employing online discussions for collecting qualitative data are discussed.
Finally, advantages of using an institutionally-hosted virtual environment, such as WebCT, are presented. These advantages relate to confidentiality, security and safety issues as well as to WebCT’s options for customisation and, therefore, creation of an online environment that is user friendly for the potential participants of a qualitative study.
Conference homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - United Kingdom (395)
- Online Research, Game On!; 2013; Puleston, J.
- The ONS Beyond 2011 Programme & possible implications for social surveys; 2013; Morris, L.
- Issues of Coverage and Sampling in Web Surveys for the General Population: An Overview; 2013; Lynn, P.
- How to create online questionnaires: A beginner's guide to survey design for businesses and students...; 2013; Lipscomb, L.
- Questionnaire Design: How to Plan, Structure and Write Survey Material for Effective Market Research...; 2013; Brace, I.
- An Introduction to Using Video for Research; 2012; Jewitt, C.
- Survey Swipe; 2012; Macer, T.
- Screenwise panel: Frequently Asked Questions; 2012
- Redeveloping the research section of Meningitis UK's website — A case study report; 2012; Witt, J., Rowland, K., Wilkinson, C.
- Quality in market research. From theory to practice. 2nd Edition; 2012; Harding, D., Jackson, P.
- Ofcom technology tracker Wave 3; 2012
- Ofcom technology tracker Wave 2; 2012
- Not just playing around; 2012; Ewing, T.
- MRS Guidelines for online reseach; 2012
- Internet access - Households and individuals, 2012 part 2; 2012
- Internet access - Households and individuals, 2012; 2012
- How Should Debriefing Be Undertaken in Web-Based Studies? Findings From a Randomized Controlled Trial...; 2012; McCambridge, J., Kypri, K., Wilson, A.
- Multi-Language Multi-Continent B2B Community Panel: How B2B research can effectively span the world; 2012; Morden, M., Accomando, E.
- Can Survey Gaming Techniques Cross Continents? Examining cross cultural reactions to creative questioning...; 2012; Puleston, J.
- Device Diversity: Understanding the complexity of varied devices for taking surveys – Case study...; 2012; Pearson, C., Backlund, K., Veling, L., Tsvelik, M., Jehoel, S.
- Research Goes Mobile: Findings from initial smartphone application research; 2012; Dubreuil, C., Joubert, S.
- WebSM Study: Survey software features overview ; 2012; Vehovar, V.; Cehovin, G.; Kavcic, L.; Lenar, J.
- Measuring Work Activities and Skill Requirements of Occupations: Experiences from a European Pilot Study...; 2012; Tijdens, K., De Ruijter, E., De Ruijter, J.
- Using Free Online Survey Software in Your Teaching; 2012; Chippindall, J.
- Improving Representativeness In Online Surveys Using A Combined Internet/Postal Approach: Evidence From...; 2012; Atorough, P., Donaldson, B., Harris, A.
- An Initial Look at Non-Response and Attrition in Understanding Society; 2012; Lynn, P., Burton, J., Kaminska, O., Knies, G., Nandi, A.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 4: Results from Methodological Experiments; 2012; Burton, J., Budd, S., Gilbert, E., Jaeckle, A., Kaminska, O., Uhrig, S.C. N., Brown, M., Calderwood,...
- The Propensity of Older Respondents to Participate in a General Purpose Survey; 2012; Lynn, P.
- Mode-Switch Protocols: How a Seemingly Small Design Difference can affect Attrition Rates and Attrition...; 2012; Lynn, P.
- Deep Data: Qualitative Approaches to E-Research in the Digital Age; 2012; Salmons, J.
- Going online with a face-to-face household panel: Initial results from an experiment on the UK Household...; 2012; Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P., Burton, J.
- The use of new technologies on the British Birth Cohort Studies; 2012; Calderwood, L.
- Opportunities and Challenges for the Digital Researcher; 2012; Blank, G., Morey, Y.
- Reliable Online Social Network Data Collection; 2012; Abdesslem, F. B., Parris, I., Henderson, T.
- Diasporas on the web: new networks, new methodologies; 2012; Crush, J., Eberhardt, C., Caesar, M., Chikanda, A., Pendleton, W., Hill, A.
- Evidence on the Comparison of Telephone and Internet Surveys for Respondent Recruitment.; 2012; Potoglou, D., Kanaroglou, P. S., Robinson, N.
- Case study: Respondent perspective on survey response; 2012; Jarrett, C.
- The Confirmit Annual Market Research Software Survey 2011; 2012; Macer, T., Wilson, S.
- Using e-surveys to access the views of football fans within online communities; 2012; Gibbons, T., Nuttall, D.
- Coverage error in internet surveys Can fixed phones fix it?; 2012; Vicente, P., Reis, E.
- A Systematic Review of Studies Investigating the Quality of Data Obtained with Online Panels; 2012; Callegaro, M., Villar, A., Krosnick, J. A., Yeager, D. S.
- Recommendations for implementing online surveys and simple experiments in social and behavioural research...; 2012; Hewson, C. M.
- A taxonomy of paradata for web surveys and computer assisted self interviewing (Casi); 2012; Callegaro, M.
- Where gamification came from and why it could be here to stay; 2012; Ewing, T.
- Software Review: SurveySwipe; 2012; Macer, T.
- Gamification 101 - from theory to practice - part II ; 2012; Puleston, J.
- Gamification 101 - from theory to practice - part I ; 2012; Puleston, J.
- Survey methods in an age of austerity: Driving value in survey design; 2012; Williams, J.
- Collecting, Managing, and Assessing Data Using Sample Surveys; 2012; Stopher, P.
- Active-Q: Validation of the Web-Based Physical Activity Questionnaire Using Doubly Labeled Water; 2012; Bonn, S. E., Trolle-Lagerros, Y., Christensen, S. E., Moeller, E., Wright, A., Sjoelander, A., Baelter...