Web Survey Bibliography
List-assisted random digit dialing (RDD) is the sampling procedure that is normally used in constructing samples of telephone households. This is a truncated design because it only includes telephone hundreds banks with one or more listed numbers. However, this design has become widely accepted after a 1995 study found that only 3.7% of working household telephone numbers fell in the unlisted banks with no significant demographic biases.
A recent study has re-examined the coverage of 100-series banks with one or more listed telephone numbers for landline households. Fahimi and his colleagues concluded that “the coverage loss for designs based on the 1+ listed banks is closer to 20% than 4%” today. Such a coverage error would call into question the acceptability of the current RDD sampling procedures for landline households, and in combination with cell phone coverage issues, the very future of telephone surveys.
The current study attempts to replicate the Fahimi study with sample from a second vendor and a somewhat different process for classifying households and non-households. Based on a national RDD sample of 10,000 numbers from 1+ listed banks and 27,175 numbers from unlisted banks, we find that 95% of landline households are still located in 1+ listed banks. These findings would seem to support the continued viability of list-assisted RDD sampling in the design and conduct of telephone surveys.
Journal Homepage (abstract)/(full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Standards, codes (430)
- The Challenge and Importance of Including Spanish-Dominant Latinos in an Online Panel; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Wells, T., Torres, J.
- Web Panel Studies of the 2008 Election; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Tompson, T.
- Comparison Study of Early Adopter Attitudes and Online Behavior in Probability and Non-Probability Web...; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Osborn, L., Semans, K.
- Summary of KnowledgePanel® Design; 2009; Dennis, J. M.
- Presentation of a Single Item versus a Grid: Effects on the Vitality and Mental Health Scales of the...; 2009; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Computing Response Rates for Probability-Based Web Panels; 2009; DiSogra, C., Callegaro, M.
- Computer-Assisted Audio Recording (CARI): Repurposing a Tool for Evaluating Comparative Instrument Design...; 2009; Edwards, B., Hicks, W., Tourangeau, K., Harris-Kojetin, L., Moss, A.
- Do online translated questionnaires result in higher response rates for patient surveys?; 2009; Boyd, J., Davis, A.
- A comparison of two mixed mode designs: cati-capi and web-cati-capi; 2009; Beukenhorst, D., Wetzels, W.
- Comparison between Liss panel (web) and ESS data (face to face); 2009; Revilla, M., Saris, W. E.
- Is a cell phone really a personal device? Results from the first wave of a mobile phone panel on sharing...; 2009; Fuchs, M., Busse, B.
- Ethical Considerations in the Use of Paradata in Web Surveys; 2009; Couper, M. P., Singer, E.
- Online Analysis and Programmed Disclosure Risk Protection: New Access to Restricted-use Microdata; 2009; McFarland O’Rourke, J., Rush, S. H., Maxwell, C.
- Using the Available On-line Secondary Data in Education and Research Practice; 2009; Perek-Bialas, J.
- Nice portal! But where is the data . . . ? - Experiences of a data archive with offering online access...; 2009; Mauer, R.
- Making Use of Online Survey Documentation & Analysis; 2009; Terwey, M.
- Access to Survey Data on the Internet; 2009; Kolsrud, K.
- Motivating different groups: questionnaire topic and participation rates; 2009; Marchand, M.
- How to cover the general public by Internet interviewing; 2009; Das, M.
- The Internet sample; 2009; Getka-Wilczynska, E.
- Sampling Frame Coverage and Domain Adjustment Procedures for Internet Surveys; 2009; Asan, Z., Ayhan, H. O.
- New Challenges in Sampling: Introduction; 2009; Laaksonen, S.
- Presenting Answers in Random Order: A generic approach for presenting enumeration answers in random...; 2009; Lina, M.
- A Systematic Approach to Debugging in the Blaise Environment: An Author's Perspective; 2009; Sparks, P.
- Paradata and Blaise: A Review of Recent Applications and Research; 2009; O’Reilly, J.
- BlaiseIS at Statistics Netherlands; 2009; de Bolster, G.
- Development of Survey and Case Management facilities for organisations with minimal survey infrastructure...; 2009; Wensing, F.
- Case Management System Based on Wireless Telecommunications; 2009; Kuusela, V., Räikkönen, T., Vikki, K.
- Quality assurance through Computer Audio- Recorded Interviewing (CARI): The Statistics New Zealand Case...; 2009; Seymour, C.
- Be mindful of cellphone interviews; 2009; Anonymous
- If You Provide It, Will They Read It? Response Time Effects in a Choice Experiment; 2009; Vista, A. B., Rosenberger, R. S., Collins, A. R.
- File transfer with built-in editing features; 2009; Erikson, J.
- From paper to internet: Design challenges when mixing modes in longitudinal surveys; 2009; Stax, H.-P., Thomsen, P.
- The Use of Audit Trails in Business Web Surveys; 2009; Snijkers, G., Morren, M.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Galesic, M.
- Using Mail Contact to Sample and Encourage Submission of Questionnaire Answers Over the Internet; 2009; Dillman, D. A., Messer, B. L., Millar, M. M.
- Interactive aspects of web surveys; 2009; Conrad, F. G.
- Use of Web surveys in Official Statistics; 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Donations to charity as incentives in online panels; 2009; Goeritz, A.; Hox, J.
- The Electronic Questionnaire Experience in Business Surveys: mode effects on quality and on response...; 2009; Biffignandi, S., Siesto, G., Zeli, A.
- Reducing Measurement Errors in Surveys; 2009; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Pros and Cons of Internet Surveys Compared to Traditional Survey Methods; 2009; Benjamin, G. D.
- Ethical Issues in Internet Research ; 2009; McKee, H., Porter, J.
- Zero Banks: Coverage Error in List Assisted RDD Samples; 2009; Boyle, J., Bucuvalas, M., Piekarski, L., Weiss, A.
- Combining Data from Probability and Non-Probability Samples Using Pseudo-Weights; 2009; Elliott, M. R.
- The Collected Works of Robert M. Groves, 6 Book Set (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Groves, R. M.
- Complex Surveys: A Guide to Analysis Using R (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Lumley, T. S.
- Methodology of Longitudinal Surveys (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Lynn, P.
- Applied Survey Methods: A Statistical Perspective (Wiley Series in Survey Methodology); 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Empirical Evaluation of Web Survey Software Tools: Powerful or Friendly?; 2009; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K., Horvat, T., Debevc, M.