Web Survey Bibliography
Popularity of web surveys was largely fostered by a development of dedicated software applications. Web survey software tools have, over the last ten years, evolved from primarily command-line-based tools to easy-to-use applications with graphical user interfaces. These tools have become an important market segment, with many applications on the market, differing in terms of functionality, complexity and costs. However, with all software applications a general tradeoff between their user-friendliness (usability) and powerfulness may exist. Feature-rich solutions may require a high amount of learning and/or even some programming skills, while user-friendly and intuitive applications may offer too few features. In our study, we investigate whether such tradeoff exists also for web survey software.
In the first part, we provide an overview of software tools available on the market. We analyze availability of selected basic features of the tools included in the WebSM database. In addition, we re-analyze a sample of 72 software tools that were already included in a study conducted in 2006. This offers some empirical insight into a development of these applications.
The main part of the paper is devoted to empirical analysis of relations between powerfulness and user-friendliness of web survey software. Several evaluators were asked to implement a standardized web survey in each of the 27 selected tools. After implementing the questionnaire in each software tool, the evaluators were asked to complete the Software Usability Measurement Inventory (SUMI) questionnaire, aimed at measuring the user satisfaction component of usability. In addition, computers of the evaluators were equipped with a special software, measuring time and number of clicks and keystrokes separately for each part of the test survey project. Two other evaluators independently evaluated the tools according to a comprehensive list of available features. On the basis of the collected data, analysis of relations between powerfulness and different components of usability is conducted.
The results of the analysis serve for a final discussion of the role of different usability aspects in selecting web survey software for different purposes and in different organizational specifics, including survey implementation needs and policies, available resources, technical staff and knowledge.
Web Survey Bibliography - Slovenia (109)
- Exploring patterns of academic usage: A Google Scholar based study of ESS, EVS, WVS and ISSP academic...; 2013; Malnar, B.
- Data quality of questions sensitive to social-desirability bias in web surveys; 2012; Lozar Manfreda, K., Zajc, N., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- WebSM Study: Survey software features overview ; 2012; Vehovar, V.; Cehovin, G.; Kavcic, L.; Lenar, J.
- Costs and Errors in Fixed and Mobile Phone Surveys; 2012; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Berzelak, N.
- Impact of Fixed Choice Design on Blockmodeling Outcomes; 2012; Znidarsic, A.
- Web Survey Software; 2012; Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V., Slavec, A.
- Surveying general population: What types of experiments are further needed?; 2012; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N.
- Research design for studying online communities with web surveys; 2012; Petrovcic, A., Petric, G., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Effect of different stimulus on data quality in online panels; 2012; Zagar, S., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Web panels in Slovenia; 2012; Lenar, J., Vehovar, V.
- Adaptation of Cognitive Interviews for Web; 2012; Mohorko, A., Hlebec, V.
- Advanced Paradata in Web Surveys: What Can They Tell about the Response Process?; 2012; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Information-Communication Technology Support for Online Surveys: A Need for Integration; 2012; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Global market of web survey software: Status, trends and issues; 2012; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Paradata insight into survey response behaviour: An analysis of a set of hosted web surveys; 2012; Lozar Manfreda, K., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- Current Projects at University of Ljubljana; 2011; Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Web survey software; 2011; Slavec, A., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- Web Survey Process within the Concept of eSocial Sciences; 2011; Vehovar, V.
- The Impact of Non-Response Treatments on the Stability of Blockmodels; 2011; Znidarsic, A., Ferligoj, A., Doreian, P.
- The influence of Social Support and Personal Networks on Doctoral Student Performance; 2011; Hlebec, V., Kogovsek, T., Ferligoj, A.
- From Busy Bees to Science Geeks and Party Animals: A Typology of Slovenian Doctoral Students; 2011; Hlebec, V., Kogovsek, T., Ferligoj, A.
- PhD Students’ Research Group Social Capital in Two Countries: A Clustering Approach with Duocentred...; 2011; Coenders, G., Coromina, L., Ferligoj, A., Guia, J.
- The Structural Changes of Social Support Networks in a Decade of the Internet Uptake in Slovenia; 2011; Vehovar, V., Petric, G., Petrovčič, A.
- How to ask about fixed/mobile telephone usage? Impact of question wording and analysis of corresponding...; 2011; Slavec, A., Vehovar, V.
- Optimization of dual frame telephone survey designs; 2011; Slavec, A., Vehovar, V.
- Costs Error Optimization for Cell-Landline Dual Frame Surveys.; 2011; Slavec, A.; Vehovar, V.
- Nonresponse in Web Surveys ; 2011; Lozar Manfreda, K., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- Sources of measurement errors in business surveys; 2010; Bavdaz, M.
- Archiving and Re-using Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Data in Slovenia; 2010; Stebe, J., Hudales, J., Kragelj, B.
- Mobile Phones in an Environment of Competing Survey Modes: Applying Metric for Evaluation of Costs and...; 2010; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Effectiveness of incentives in mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs; 2009; Lozar Manfreda, K., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- National readership surveys: Moving from probability face-to-face surveys to Internet panels; 2009; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Petric, I., Sargac, M.
- Relations between functionality and usability of Web survey software tools: An empirical evaluation; 2009; Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Optimising survey costs in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K., Belak, E.
- Effectiveness of incentives in web surveys within mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs...; 2009; Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Effectiveness of incentives in mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs; 2009; Vehovar, V.; Lozar Manfreda, K.; Berzelak, N.
- "Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment: Balancing costs and errors"; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- Towards a flexible online mixed method design with a feedback loop; 2009; Lobe, B., Vehovar, V.
- What Can We Achieve With 5 Euros? Optimization of Survey Data Quality Using Mixed-Mode Approaches; 2008; Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Measuring ties on online forums; 2008; Ziberna, A., Vehovar, V., Jakulin, A.
- Integration of the web into survey data collection: Balancing costs and errors; 2008; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Measuring ego-centered social networks on the web: Questionnaire design issues ; 2008; Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Koren, G., Hlebec, V.
- Web Surveys versus Other Survey Modes – A Meta-Analysis Comparing Response Rates; 2008; Lozar Manfreda, K., Bosnjak, M., Berzelak, J., Haas, I., Vehovar, V.
- Fitting disposition codes to mobile phone surveys: experiences from studies in Finland, Slovenia and...; 2007; Callegaro, M., Buskirk, T. D., Vehovar, V., Kuusela, V., Piekarski, L., Steeh, C. G.
- Peeping Over Computers The Slovenian Internet Audience Measurement Mix Model ; 2007; Cucin, P., Kropivnik, S., Hocevar, J.
- Social Aspects of Mobile Phone Usage and Their Impact on Survey Cooperation; 2007; Vehovar, V., Callegaro, M.
- Web Survey Methodology (WebSM) Portal; 2006; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Reliability and Validity of Measuring Social Support Networks by Web and Telephone; 2006; Kogovsek, T.
- Flexibility of FOMM (Flexible Online Mixed Methods Design with a Feed-back Loop); 2006; Lobe, B., Vehovar, V.