Web Survey Bibliography
The objective of the virk.dk project at Statistics Denmark is to develop electronic web questionnaires to replace paper and pencil questionnaires in data collection for business statistics. In the present phase of the project we introduce web based selfcompletion questionnaires as an alternative to the existing paper and pencil questionnaires. And for some time to come, the new electronic mode of data collection will exist alongside the paper mode. Thus respondents will be allowed to choose between the two modes.
The quest for valid data, high response rates and minimal response burden calls for task facilitating e-functionalities and design which is optimised to the mode of actual use. But the quest for reliable data across modes calls for maximum equivalence and similarity between the electronic and paper mode.
We will present and discus examples, findings and guidelines from the virk.dk project with regard to striking a balance between accomplishing user friendliness in electronic questionnaires and minimising mode effects in the mixed mode data collection.
Electronic questionnaires offer new dynamic and user-friendly functionalities, which may assist respondents in completing tasks and thus improve data quality. Dynamic functionalities, such as auto calculation, routing and concurrent data validation, are commonly used in other kinds of electronic forms. Thus respondents may expect them in electronic questionnaires. And this expectation may imply a decrease in respondents own focus and effort with regard to routing, calculation and internal consistency when completing electronic questionnaires.
Web Survey Bibliography - Internet Survey Methodology workshop 2009 (24)
- Pictures in Web Surveys; 2009; Toepoel, V., Couper, M. P.
- National readership surveys: Moving from probability face-to-face surveys to Internet panels; 2009; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Petric, I., Sargac, M.
- Why don’t all Businesses report on Web?; 2009; Haraldsen, G.
- An experiment on the effects of non-response reweighting on estimators' precision in a web survey; 2009; Fabrizi, E., Biffignandi, S., Toninelli, D.
- Dynamic feedback in open-ended questions: Experiments on the visual design language of Web surveys; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Effects of monetary incentives on participation in a two-wave online survey; 2009; Bandilla, W., Haas, I.
- Response Order and Response Distributions: The Format of the Response Options in a Web Survey; 2009; Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Balter, O.
- Anticipated estimation from a panel Web survey: the case of the presence of tourists in the Province...; 2009; Scaffai, G., Pratesi, M.
- Statistical analysis of on-line courses; 2009; Baelter, O.
- Methodological approaches of Web 2.0; 2009; Neubarth, W.
- Is this e-mail relevant? An eyetracking experiment on how potential respondents read e-mail invitations...; 2009; Kaczmirek, L., Faaß, T., Galesic, M.
- File transfer with built-in editing features; 2009; Erikson, J.
- From paper to internet: Design challenges when mixing modes in longitudinal surveys; 2009; Stax, H.-P., Thomsen, P.
- The Use of Audit Trails in Business Web Surveys; 2009; Snijkers, G., Morren, M.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Galesic, M.
- Yes, VASs can! Increasing the accuracy of survey measurements with computerized visual analogue scales...; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Using Mail Contact to Sample and Encourage Submission of Questionnaire Answers Over the Internet; 2009; Dillman, D. A., Messer, B. L., Millar, M. M.
- Improving the Design of Complex Matrix Questions; 2009; Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G.
- Interactive aspects of web surveys; 2009; Conrad, F. G.
- Use of Web surveys in Official Statistics; 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Relations between functionality and usability of Web survey software tools: An empirical evaluation; 2009; Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Donations to charity as incentives in online panels; 2009; Goeritz, A.; Hox, J.
- Turning Grid Questions into Sequences in Business Web Surveys; 2009; Haraldsen, G., Bergstrøm, Y.
- The Electronic Questionnaire Experience in Business Surveys: mode effects on quality and on response...; 2009; Biffignandi, S., Siesto, G., Zeli, A.