Web Survey Bibliography
Readership research continues to face a number of critical issues, most notably:
declining response rates, or increased efforts and monies to maintain current levels;
·demand for more information related to use of products and services, and linked to the media measurements; and,
·more detailed information on interaction with various media (e.g. measure “quality of the reading experience”)
These issues place an increasing strain on the current data collection processes. At the same time, major strides are being made on the application of the Internet and online panels for traditional market research studies. There is a continuing trend for more traditional studies to migrate from telephone, mail, and mall-based data collection processes to the use of online data collection.
This trend is placing increased demand on media readership studies to consider this technology as an alternative. Can online data collection processes help address the current issues faced by readership research? Several jurisdictions have begun the exploration of the Internet and online panels in preparation for the day when online research may be considered a viable alternative for audience measurement.
Canada is no exception. NADbank, responsible for the measurement of readership of daily newspapers across the country, recently completed a test comparing the current telephone methodology with a comparable online survey. The test was run in the Toronto CMA (Census Metropolitan Area), the largest single market in Canada.
The results from this test are presented in this paper. In summary, the results show that the demographic profiles of respondents in the online panel are different from those in the population and telephone sample. The online panel included a more balanced composition by gender but not by age group. The panel profile included fewer younger, and more older, adults than is the case in the telephone sample and in the actual population.
Homepage (abstract)/(full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Other (452)
- Pilot Development of a Smartphone-Enabled Full-Probability Panel; 2008; Hill, C., Biemer, P. P., Coombs, D., Eyerman, J.
- Use of FedEx: Early, Late or Never?; 2008; Pope, D.
- E-mail and Postcard Invitation Designs to Maximize Web-Survey Responses Rates; 2008; Kaplowitz, M. D., Lupi, F., Couper, M. P., Thorp, L.
- The Impact of the Spacing of the Scale Options in a Web Survey; 2008; Kennedy, C., Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Redline, C. D.
- How Visual Composition of Web Pages Influences Survey Response; 2008; Mahon-Haft, T., Dillman, D. A.
- An Analysis of Mode Effects in Three Mixed-Mode Surveys of Veteran and Military Populations; 2008; Rachev, B., Yang, M., Davis, D., Szoc, R.
- Gender-of-Interviewer Effects in Video-Enhanced Web Surveys. Results from a Randomized Field-Experiment...; 2008; Fuchs, M.
- Mail and Internet Surveys ; 2008; Dillman, D. A.
- Online research ethics; 2007; Madge, C.
- An Internet-Based Stated Choices Household Survey for Alternative Fuelled Vehicles ; 2007; Potoglou, D., Kanaroglou, P. S.
- ONLINE DATA COLLECTION – SOLUTION OR BAND-AID?; 2007; Crassweller, A., Williams, D., Thompson, I.
- EMBRACING TECHNOLOGY IN READERSHIP SURVEYS; 2007; Impedovo, D., Greene, D.
- MAGAZINE EFFECTIVENESS NOW DIRECTLY OBSERVABLE; 2007; Green, M.
- Applications of the Document Object Model (DOM) in Web-Surveys; 2007; Neubarth, W., Kaczmirek, L.
- Improving Data Quality in Web Surveys with Visual Analogue Scales; 2007; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Calibration and propensity score weighting in web surveys; 2007; Fabrizi, E., Biffignandi, S.
- THE READERSHIP CURRENCY: DUTCH DESIGN How a new methodology for AIR measurement opens up new perspectives...; 2007; Petric, I., Appel, M.
- Using Audio and Video Clips in Web Surveys — Feasibility and Impact on Data Quality; 2007; Fuchs, M., Funke, F.
- Using user feedback: Redesigning the "Survey of Industrial production"; 2007; Conrad, A.
- Making Sense of Data via the Web; 2007; Anolik, I.
- Design Details in Web Surveys; 2007; Couper, M. P.
- Employee Surveys Administered Online: Attitudes Toward the Medium, Nonresponse, and Data Representativeness...; 2007; Thompson, L. F., Surface, E. A.
- Testing for the survey mode effect on contingent valuation data quality: A case study of web based versus...; 2007; Marta-Pedroso, C., Freitas, H., Domingos, T.
- A comparison of reliability between telephone and web-based surveys; 2007; Braunsberger, K., Wybenga, H., Gates, R.
- Media usage in the age of Web 2.0 ; 2007; Trump, T., Spahlinger, M. P.
- The impact of the duration of affiliation and the intensity of questioning on the willingness of participation...; 2007; Wachenfeld, A.
- Quality of Online Research: Does it Improve Results? ; 2007; Lindemann, M.
- New Access to Information laws in Germany - a big bang for Computer-Assisted Reporting (CAR)? ; 2007; Redelfs, M.
- Subjective Anonymity in Online-Surveys ; 2007; Strassnig, B.
- A closer look at the effect of recruitment methods on data quality for online panel surveys ; 2007; Irmer, C., Wenzel, O., Peichl, M.
- Disclosure and Deception in Tomorrow's Survey lnterview; 2007; Hancock, J.
- Scaling Social Desirability: Establishing its Influence Across Modes; 2007; Krane, D., Thomas, R. K., Taylor, H.
- Web and Paper Surveys: Validity, Reliability, and Practically; 2007; Miller, L.
- To Branch or Not to Branch: Item Construction in Web Surveys; 2007; Grosse, A., Luks, S., Rivers, D.
- What's Missing from National RDD Surveys? The Impact of Growing Cell-Only Population.; 2007; Keeter, S., Kennedy, C., Tompson, T., Mokrzycki, M., Clark, A.
- Assessment of Variations in Response Rate of Web-Based Student Surveys; 2007; Mitra, A., McCoy, T., Champion, H., O'Brian, M., Gupta, M., Wolfson, M.
- Social Aspects of Mobile Phone Usage and Their Impact on Survey Cooperation; 2007; Vehovar, V., Callegaro, M.
- Compensating for low topic interest and long surveys: A field experiment on nonresponse in Web surveys...; 2007; Marcus, B., Bosnjak, M., Lindner, S., Pilischenko, S., Schuetz, A.
- Lotteries as Incentives in Longitudinal Web Studies; 2007; Goeritz, A., Wolff, H.-G.
- Design of Web Questionnaires: The Effect of Layout in Rating Scales ; 2006; Toepoel, V., Das, M., van Soest, A.
- Web-based Surveys in Logistics Research: An Empirical Application; 2006; Grant, D. B., Teller, C., Teller, W.
- Privacy laws, internet scams and other challenges affecting panel research Strategies to mitigate risk...; 2006; Stark, D.
- Perceptions of News Credibility about the War in Iraq: Why War Opponents Perceived the Internet as the...; 2006; Choi, J.H., Watt, J.H., Lynch, M.
- Weighting an Internet Panel Survey on Drug Use and Abuse; 2006; Gordek, H., Williams, R. L., Dai, L.
- Results from the International Survey of ASA Members; 2006; Luo, A., Sangster, R.
- Web-based data collection in China; 2006; Davison, R. M., Li, Y., Kam, C. S. P.
- Merely Incidental?: Effects of Response Format on Self-reported Behavior; 2006; Thomas, R. K., Klein, J. D.
- Can Web and Mail Survey Modes Improve Participation in an RDD-based National Health Surveillance?; 2006; Link, M. W., Mokdad, A.
- Encuestas a empleados a través de Internet: Conceptos y descubrimientos; 2006; Reips, U. -D.
- Collecting data on alcohol use and alcohol-related victimization: a comparison of telephone and Web-...; 2006; Parks, K. A., Pardi, A. M., Bradizza, C. M.