Web Survey Bibliography
Readership research continues to face a number of critical issues, most notably:
declining response rates, or increased efforts and monies to maintain current levels;
·demand for more information related to use of products and services, and linked to the media measurements; and,
·more detailed information on interaction with various media (e.g. measure “quality of the reading experience”)
These issues place an increasing strain on the current data collection processes. At the same time, major strides are being made on the application of the Internet and online panels for traditional market research studies. There is a continuing trend for more traditional studies to migrate from telephone, mail, and mall-based data collection processes to the use of online data collection.
This trend is placing increased demand on media readership studies to consider this technology as an alternative. Can online data collection processes help address the current issues faced by readership research? Several jurisdictions have begun the exploration of the Internet and online panels in preparation for the day when online research may be considered a viable alternative for audience measurement.
Canada is no exception. NADbank, responsible for the measurement of readership of daily newspapers across the country, recently completed a test comparing the current telephone methodology with a comparable online survey. The test was run in the Toronto CMA (Census Metropolitan Area), the largest single market in Canada.
The results from this test are presented in this paper. In summary, the results show that the demographic profiles of respondents in the online panel are different from those in the population and telephone sample. The online panel included a more balanced composition by gender but not by age group. The panel profile included fewer younger, and more older, adults than is the case in the telephone sample and in the actual population.
Homepage (abstract)/(full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Canada (111)
- Recent Experiences with Electronic Questionnaire Testing at Statistics Canada ; 2013; Lawrence, D.
- A nationwide web-based freight data collection; 2013; Samimi, A., Mohammadian, A., Kawamura, K.
- Use of a Social Networking Web Site for Recruiting Canadian Youth for Medical Research; 2013; Chu, J. L., Snider, C. E.
- Survey Quality; 2012; Lyberg, L. E.
- Adaptive web sampling in ecology; 2012; Thompson, S. K.
- Respondent-driven sampling; 2012; Schonlau, M., Liebau, E.
- Reaching Under/Never Screened Populations Using an Online Survey; 2012; Filsinger, B., Gesink, D., Mihic, A., Kreiger, N.
- Evidence on the Comparison of Telephone and Internet Surveys for Respondent Recruitment.; 2012; Potoglou, D., Kanaroglou, P. S., Robinson, N.
- Firefly Online Surveys: A fully featured tool for Web surveys and forums; 2012; Deal, K.
- Transferring Telephone-Based National Household Travel Survey to the Internet ; 2012; Son, S., Khattak, A., Wang, X., Chen, J.-Y.
- Where is Neutral? Using Negativity Biases to Interpret Thermometer Scores; 2012; Soroka, S., Albaugh, Q.
- Comparability of Internet and telephone data in a survey on the respiratory health of children; 2012; Plante, C. Jacques, L., Chevalier, S., Fournier, M.
- Online and Paper-Based: A Mixed-Method Approach to Conducting a Needs Assessment Survey of Physicians...; 2012; Olatunbosun, T., Wu, C., Grewal, G., Lynn, B.
- Thinking, Planning & Operationalizing Empirical Mixed Methods Research Design; 2012; Ruhi, U.
- Designing and Doing Survey Research; 2012; Andres, L.
- Validity and reproducibility of a web-based, self-administered food frequency questionnaire; 2012; Labonte, M. - E., Cyr, A., Baril-Gravel, L., Royer, M. - M., Lamarche, B.
- Validation of an Informant-Reported Web-Based Data Collection to Assess Dementia Symptoms; 2012; Rockwood, K., Zeng, A., Leibman, C., Mucha, L., Mitnitski, A.
- Assessing the Effects of Technical Variance on the Statistical Outcomes of Web Experiments Measuring...; 2012; Brand, A., Bradley, M. T.
- The cost-effectiveness of cash versus lottery incentives for a web-based, stated-preference community...; 2012; Gajic, A., Cameron, D., Hurley, J.
- What is Probit; 2011
- Survey Data Quality Provisions in Statistics Canada E-Questionnaire Solution: Retrospective and Perspectives...; 2011; Abiza, Y.
- Developing Electronic Questionnaire Guidelines: Issues and Challenges in a Changing Environment; 2011; Cote, A.-M., Kelly, P., Lawrence, D.
- Canadian online panels: Similar or different?; 2011; Chan, P., Ambrose, D.
- How far is too far: Traditional, flash and gamification interfaces, and implications for the future...; 2011; Puleston, J., Malinoff, B.
- The Evolution of Edits in the Canadian Census of Population Online Questionnaires; 2011; Laroche, D.
- Innovations in survey sampling design: Discussion of three contributions presented at the U.S. Census...; 2011; Opsomer, J.
- Alternative survey sample designs: Sampling with multiple overlapping frames; 2011; Lohr, S. L.
- Adaptive network and spatial sampling; 2011; Thompson, S. K.
- Apples and oranges: does a web survey produce similar results to social media tracking?; 2011; Bourque, C., Hobbs, R., Hilaire, D. S.
- Preferences, intentions, and expectation violations: A large-scale experiment with a representative...; 2011; Bellemare. C., Kroeger, S., van Soest, A.
- Method of administration affects adolescent post-immunization survey response rate: phone, paper, internet...; 2011; Pielak, K. L.; Buxton, J.; McIntyrea, C.; Tu, A,; Botnick, M. R.
- e-Collection at Statistics Canada; 2011; Faid, M.
- Nonsampling errors in dual frame telephone surveys ; 2011; Brick, J. M., Flores Cervantes, I., Lee, S., Norman, G.
- Studying Political Behavior: A Comparison of Internet and Telephone Surveys; 2011; Stephenson, L. B., Crête, J.
- The feasibility of Web-based surveys as a data collection tool: a process evaluation ; 2011; Chizawsky L. L. K., Estabrooks, C. A., Sales, A. E.
- Accounting for the effects of data collection modes in population surveys; 2010; Huang, Y. C., Thompson, M. E., Boudreau, C., Fong, G. T.
- From Buzz to Biz: Social Media Research for Results; 2010; Pettit, F. A.
- The Rise of Survey Programming Automation as an Alternative to Outsourcing; 2010; Ahmed, A. S., Guyer, L.
- Sexy Questions, Dangerous Results? - Exploring the Impact of Rich Media Question Formats in Online Survey...; 2010; Malinoff, B.
- Statistics Canada's Process Automation of On-line Survey Development and CATI Data Integration; 2010; Dubois, M.-A.
- System and method of providing an online survey and summarizing survey response data; 2010; Ryan, C. J.
- Statistical foundations of cell-phone surveys; 2010; Wolter, K., Smith, P., Blumberg, S. J.
- The effect of cash lottery on response rates to an online health survey among members of the Canadian...; 2010; Doerfling, P., Kopec, J., Liang, M. H., Esdaile, J. M.
- Reliability and Validity of an Internet-based Questionnaire Measuring Lifetime Physical Activity; 2010; De Vera, M. A., Ratzlaff, C., Doerfling, P., Kopec, J.
- Can we make official statistics with self-selection web surveys?; 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Designing and Implementing a Career Retrospective Web-based Survey of Library and Information Science...; 2009; Morgan, J. C., Marshall, J. G., Marshall, V., Thompson, C.
- In Search of Readers: A Brave New World For Researches; 2009; Crassweller, A., Rogers, J., Williams, D.
- Best practices in mobile research; 2009; Zahariev, M., Ferneyhough, C., Ryan, C.
- Internet-based surveys and urban design education: A community outreach graduate project in Redding,...; 2009; del Rio, V., Levi, D.
- Lottery Style Incentives and Response Rates to Online Surveys; 2009; Pearson, J., E., Krosnick, J. A.Levine, R. E.