Web Survey Bibliography
The number of households solely equipped with fixed line phones has decreased in Germany since 2003. Simultaneously the number of people using mobile phones exclusively has increased; especially among young males living in single households and households with low income. Latest estimations indicate that 4 million households have mobile telephones only, that are about 9 percent (Federal Statistical Office 2009). Experiences from other countries show even higher rates and, in addition, show that the speed at which fixed phone lines are replaced with mobile phones will increase in the future. This change in telephone coverage cannot be ignored in survey practice, since current frames for the selection of households include fixed line phones only.
To shed light on this issue the German Research Foundation was funding a joint research project of the University of Kassel and GESIS in the framework of the Priority Program on Survey Methodology. The project aimed - amongst others - to exercise the characteristics of mobile-only households and to find out more about the methodological background of mobile phone surveys.
In the paper we will focus on the accessibility of individuals for mobile phone surveys. For this, we describe the situation in which people agree to participate in a mobile phone survey. We found that in our survey nearly a half of the interviews were conducted in settings not in the home of the interviewee. We try to find out in which situations people are likely to respond when they are at home and when they are not at home. Besides, the time of the interview will be analysed. From this we hope to learn optimal strategies for contacting people for mobile phone surveys.
Conference homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Other CASIC (534)
- Mode and Context Effects in Measuring Household Assets; 2010; van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A.
- Improving the response rate and quality in Web-based surveys through the personalization and frequency...; 2010; Muñoz-Leiva, F., Sánchez-Fernández, J., Montoro-Ríos, F. J., Ibáñez-Zapata, J. A.
- College Experiences Survey: Methodological Summary. Final Report; 2009; DesRoches, D., Hall, J. W., Santos, B.
- Cell Phone Mainly Households: Coverage and Reach for Telephone Surveys Using RDD Landline Samples; 2009; Boyle, J., Lewis, F., Tefft, B.
- Cell-Phone-Only Voters in the 2008 Exit Poll and Implications for Future Noncoverage Bias ; 2009; Mokrzycki, M., Keeter, S., Kennedy, C.
- Zero Banks: Coverage Error and Bias in Rdd Samples Based on Hundred Banks with Listed Numbers ; 2009; Boyle, J., Bucuvalas, M., Piekarski, L., Weiss, A.
- National Surveys Via RDD Telephone Interviewing vs. the Internet: Comparing Sample Representativeness...; 2009; Chang, L. C., Krosnick, J. A.
- Best practices in mobile research; 2009; Zahariev, M., Ferneyhough, C., Ryan, C.
- Mobile interviewing; 2009; Lavine, S.
- A comparison of web-based and telephone surveys for assessing traffic safety concerns, beliefs, and...; 2009; Beck, K. H., Yan, A. F., Qi Wang, M.
- The Coverage Bias of Mobile Web Surveys Across European Countries ; 2009; Fuchs, M., Busse, B.
- Item non-response rates: a comparison of online and paper questionnaires ; 2009; Denscombe, M.
- Using mobile phones for survey research A comparison with fixed phones ; 2009; Vicente, P., Reis, E., Santos, R.
- A Comparison of Different Survey Periods in Online Surveys of Persons with Eating Disorders and Their...; 2009; Wesemann, D., Grunwald, A., Grunwald, M.
- A Comparison of Web-Based and Paper-Based Survey Methods Testing Assumptions of Survey Mode and Response...; 2009; Greenlaw, C., Brown-Welty, S.
- Doing Research in the Real World; 2009; Gray, D. E.
- Conducting Mobile Surveys: A Hands-on Introduction to an Innovative Research Mode; 2009; Pferdekämper, T., Melcher, T.
- An experimental mixed mode design on a general population survey ; 2009; Eva, G.
- Does Response Rate Matter? Journal Editors Use of Survey Quality Measures in Manuscript Publication...; 2009; Carley-Baxter, L. R., Hill, C., Roe, D. J., Twiddy, S. E., Baxter, R. K., Ruppenkamp, J.
- Declining Working Phone Rates Impact Sample Efficiency; 2009; Piekarski, L.
- Using Non-Probability Samples for Confusion Surveys - Mall Intercepts and the Internet; 2009; Ericksen, E. P.
- Using Debit Cards for Incentive Payments: Experiences of a Weekly Survey Study; 2009; Gatny, H. H., Couper, M. P., Axinn, W., Barber, J. S.
- Characteristics of Cell Phone Only, Listed, and Unlisted Telephone Households; 2009; Tarnai, J., , Schultz, R.Moore, D.
- Cell Phone-Only Households: A Good Target for Internet Surveys?; 2009; Bates, N.
- Nonsampling Error Research in Practice; 2009; Brick, J. M., Kalton, G.
- Envisioning the Survey Interview of the Future ; 2009; Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F.
- Are telephone Surveys a dying bread. How declining response rates can be explained and resolved; 2009; Degen, M., Obermüller, A., Schielicke, A.-M.
- Factors Contributing to Participation in Web‐based Surveys among Italian University Graduates; 2009; Cimini, C., Girottu, C., Gasperoni, G.
- Integration of different data collection techniques using the propensity score; 2009; Camillo, F., Conti, V., Ghiselli, S.
- Mode effects in Switzerland: non‐response and measurement error on the European Social Survey; 2009; Roberts, C.
- The mixing of survey modes: application to Laon web and face‐to‐face household travel survey...; 2009; Bayart, C., Bonnel, P.
- An innovative open source strategy for the development of electronic questionnaires for statistical...; 2009; Degortes, M., Landriscina, M., Murgia, M.
- Response rates in multi actor surveys; 2009; Pasteels, I., Ponnet, K., Mortelmans, D.
- Unit non‐response in panel surveys: empirical finding from an experiment; 2009; Haunberger, S.
- Do cash incentives helps with RDD studies? Examination of results from a national and a statewide survey...; 2009; Miller, Y., Barger, K., Hearn, D.
- The Potential of a Multi-mode Data Collection Design to Reduce non-response bias. The Case of a Survey...; 2009; Sala, E., Lynn, P.
- Are people sharing their mobile phones? Selection probabilities in cellular telephone surveys; 2009; Fuchs, M., Busse, B.
- New developments in survey methodology for official statistics; 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Survey cooperation: response to initial and follow-up requests - Recent experiences from the recruitment...; 2009; Bartsch, S., Engel, U., Schnabel, C., Vehre, H.
- Using Mobile Phones to Administer a Working Memory Updating Task in a Survey - Cognitive Performance...; 2009; Schmiedek, F., Riediger, M., Lindenberger, U., Wagner, G. G.
- Accessibility of individuals for mobile phone surveys; 2009; Gabler, S., Häder, S.
- Mixed Modes and Measurement Error: Comparing face-to-face, telephone and web modes ; 2009; Hope, S., Nicolaas, G., Jäckle, A., Lynn, P., Nandi, A., Campanelli, P.
- The Difficult but Essential Challenge of Designing Mixed-Mode Surveys; 2009; Dillman, D. A.
- Assesssment of Potential Bias in Telephone Survey Estimates Due to Noncontact and Noncoverage When Household...; 2009; Khare, M., Wouhib, A.
- Experimenting With Speech Interactive Voice Response, Touchtone Data Entry and the Web for the National...; 2009; Cantor, D., Brick, P. D., Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G.
- Indicators for the representativeness of survey response; 2009; Schouten, B., Cobben, F., Bethlehem, J.
- Recruiting Probability-Based Web Panel Members Using an Address-Based Sample Frame: Results from a Pilot...; 2009; DiSogra, C., Callegaro, M., Hendarwan, E.
- The Challenge and Importance of Including Spanish-Dominant Latinos in an Online Panel; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Wells, T., Torres, J.
- Computer-Assisted Audio Recording (CARI): Repurposing a Tool for Evaluating Comparative Instrument Design...; 2009; Edwards, B., Hicks, W., Tourangeau, K., Harris-Kojetin, L., Moss, A.
- A comparison of two mixed mode designs: cati-capi and web-cati-capi; 2009; Beukenhorst, D., Wetzels, W.