Web Survey Bibliography
The purpose of this investigation was to compare the results of a web-based and a telephone interview survey measuring driver concerns about a variety of traffic safety issues, their beliefs, and specific driving behaviors.
State-wide, annual random digit-dial telephone surveys and web-based surveys were conducted in Maryland. A total of 1,700 drivers were surveyed by telephone and 6,806 took a web survey.
Telephone respondents were more likely to be female and older. Web respondents were more likely to be white and not Latino/Hispanic. After controlling for demographic differences, telephone survey respondents were more likely to be concerned about traffic safety. They were more likely to believe that sobriety checkpoints reduce drunk driving (OR = 2.18, 95% CI 1.94, 2.45), they would be ticketed for not wearing a seat belt (OR = 1.26, 95% CI 1.12, 1.43), and they would be stopped by the police if they drove after drinking too much (OR = 1.17, 95% CI 1.03, 1.32). They were less likely to report a variety of risky behaviors including using a cell phone while driving (OR = .54, 95% CI .48, .61) and driving 10+ mph over the speed limit (OR = .81, 95% CI .72, .91), but were more likely to report having been ticketed for a moving violation in the last month (OR = 2.22, 95% CI 1.70, 2.90). Suggestions are offered for overcoming potential sources of sampling bias.
Impact on Industry
Web-based surveys produce substantially different results than random-digit-dial telephone surveys, when used for public assessments of traffic safety concerns and behaviors.
Journal homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography (6389)
- PhD Students’ Research Group Social Capital in Two Countries: A Clustering Approach with Duocentred...; 2011; Coenders, G., Coromina, L., Ferligoj, A., Guia, J.
- Preface; 2011; Coenders, G., Doreian, P.
- Web Surveys; 2011; Furlan, R., Martone, D., Kenett, R. S., Salini, S.
- Does the Inclusion of a Cost Attribute in Forced and Unforced Choices Matter? Results from a Web Survey...; 2011; Pedersen, L. B., Kjaer, T., Kragstrup, J., Gyrd-Hansen, D.
- A course is a course is a course: Factor invariance in student evaluation of online, blended and face...; 2011; Dziuban, C. D., Moskal, P.
- Explaining Unit Nonresponse in Online Panel Surveys: An Application of the Extended Theory of Planned...; 2011; Haunberger, S.
- Reliability and Validity of Self-Reported Smoking in an Anonymous Online Survey With Young Adults; 2011; Ramo, D. E., Hall, S. M., Prochaska, J. J.
- Nonparametric Tests of Panel Conditioning and Attrition Bias in Panel Surveys; 2011; Das, M., Toepoel, V., van Soest, A.
- Preferences, intentions, and expectation violations: A large-scale experiment with a representative...; 2011; Bellemare. C., Kroeger, S., van Soest, A.
- A Psycholinguistic Look at Survey Question Design and Response Quality; 2011; Lenzner, T.
- Twitter mood predicts the stock market.; 2011; Bollen, J., Mao, H., Zeng, X.-J.
- Benefits and Costs of a Multi-Mode Survey of Recent College Graduates; 2011; Crow, D.,
- Using Facebook to Locate Sample Members; 2011; Rhodes, B. B., Marks, E. L.
- Paradata in Survey Research; 2011; West, B. T.
- Using e-mail recruitment and an online questionnaire to establish effect size: A worked example ; 2011; Kirkby, H. M., Calver, M., Draper, H., Calvert, M., Wilson, S.
- The Perils of Online Surveys; 2011; McCullough, P. R.
- A National Profile of Teacher Education Faculty: The Construction of an Online Survey; 2011; Graber, K. C., Erwin, H., Woods, A. M., Rhoades, J., Zhu, W.
- Using web-based and paper-based questionnaires for collecting data on fertility issues among female...; 2011; Van Den Berg, M. H., Overbeek, A., van der Pal, H. J. H., Versluys, B. A., , Van Leeuwe, F. E. Lambalk...
- Agreement between web-based and paper versions of a socio-demographic questionnaire in the NutriNet-...; 2011; Vergnaud, A. C., Touvier, M., Méjean, C., Kesse-Guyo, E., Pollet, C., Malon, A., Castetbon, K., Hercberg...
- Validation of the web-based LUMINA questionnaire for recruiting large cohorts of migraineurs; 2011; van Oosterhout, W. P. J., Weller, C. M., Stam, A. H., Stijnen, T.,Ferrari, M. D.; Terwindt, G. M.
- Reducing Sensitive Survey Response Bias in Research on Adolescents: A Comparison of Web-Based and Paper...; 2011; Wyrick, D. L., Bond, L.
- Exploring Health-related Experiences and Access to Care: Differences between Online and Telephone Survey...; 2011; Doty, M. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J.
- The Impact of “Forgiving” Introductions on the Reporting of Sensitive Behavior in Surveys...; 2011; Peter, J., Valkenburg, P. M.
- Comparing the Accuracy of RDD Telephone Surveys and Internet Surveys Conducted with Probability and...; 2011; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A., Chang, L. C., Javitz, H. S., Levendusky, M. S., Simpser, A., Wang, R...
- Surveying the General Public over the Internet Using Address-Based Sampling and Mail Contact Procedures...; 2011; Messer, B. L., Dillman, D. A.
- The power of qualitative research in the era of social media; 2011; Branthwaite, A., Patterson, S.
- Mobile phones as an extension of the participant observer's self: Reflections on the emergent role...; 2011; Hein, W., O'Donohoe, S., Ryan, A.
- Mixed methods designs in marketing research; 2011; Harrison, R. L., Reilly, T. M.
- Development and Validation of a Web-Based Questionnaire for Surveying Skydivers; 2011; Nilsson, J.; Friden, C.; Buren, V.; Ang, B.
- Method of administration affects adolescent post-immunization survey response rate: phone, paper, internet...; 2011; Pielak, K. L.; Buxton, J.; McIntyrea, C.; Tu, A,; Botnick, M. R.
- Introduction to Usability Testing for Survey Research; 2011; Geisen, E., Jarrett, C.
- Utilizing Web Technology in Business Data Collection: Some Norwegian, Dutch and Danish Experiences; 2011; Haraldsen, G., Snijkers, G., Roos, M., Sundvoll, A., Vik, T., Stax, H.-P.
- E-Census 2011 Portugal: implementation and results of the Pilot Survey; 2011; Vicente, P., Rosa, A., Reis, E.
- Facebook sampling methods: some methodological proposals; 2011; Macrì, E., Tessitore, C.
- Reflections on web based data collection in a mixed mode design: the case of the EU Labour Force Survey...; 2011; Kloek, W., van der Valk, J.
- Standardising the web data collection channel at the Basque Statistics Office (EUSTAT); 2011; Prado, C., Guinea , C.
- An Experimental Investigation of Mode Effects in the Hungarian Census Test 2009; 2011; Vereczkei, Z.
- Collaborative systems for enhancing the analysis of social surveys: the Grid Enabled Specialist Data...; 2011; Lambert, P., Warner, G., Doherty, T., McCafferty, S., Watt, J., Comerford, M., Gayle, V., Tan, L.,...
- ILS Online Survey; 2011; Weber, C.
- Testing for measurement equivalence of human values across online and paper-and-pencil surveys; 2011; Davidov, E., Depner, F.
- Development of a Web-Based Survey for Monitoring Daily Health and its Application in an Epidemiological...; 2011; Sugiura, H., Ohkusa, Y., Akahane, M., Sano, T., Okabe, N., Imamura, T.
- Sampling v. Scale: An investigation the tension between convenience sampling, response rates, probability...; 2011; Garland, P.
- Effectiveness and consequences of various recruitment methods in psychological research: case study; 2011; Póltorak, M.
- Using Amazon's Mechanical Turk for the recruitment of participants in Internet-based research; 2011; Reips, U. -D., Buffardi, L., Kuhlmann, T.
- A new approach to the analysis of survey drop-out. Results from Follow-up Surveys in the German Longitudinal...; 2011; Rossmann, J., Blumenstiel, J. E., Steinbrecher, M.
- Tracking the decision-making process – Findings from an Online Rolling Cross-Section Panel Study...; 2011; Faas, T.
- Social desirability and self-reported health risk behaviors in web-based research: three longitudinal...; 2011; Crutzen, R., Goeritz, A.
- Slider Scales Causing Serious Problems With Less Educated Respondents; 2011; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D., Thomas, R. K.
- Should we use the progress bar in online surveys? A meta-analysis of experiments manipulating progress...; 2011; Callegaro, M., Yang, Y., Villar, A.
- From "Web Questions" to "Propensity Score Weighting": An Evaluation of Topics and...; 2011; Welker, M., Taddicken, M.