Web Survey Bibliography
Introduction: While young adults have the highest prevalence of cigarette smoking of any adult age group, studies of tobacco and other substance use have reported challenges in recruiting this age group. The Internet may be a useful tool for reaching young adult smokers. The present study compared three Internet-based recruitment methods for young adult smokers to complete a survey about tobacco and other substance use: Craigslist advertisements, other Internet advertisements, and E-mail invitations through a survey sampling service.
Methods: Recruitment campaigns invited young adults aged 18–25 years who had smoked at least one cigarette in the past 30 days to complete an online survey. Recruitment methods were compared across recruitment numbers, costeffectiveness, and demographic and smoking characteristics of recruited participants.
Results: In 6 months, 920 people gave online consent to determine eligibility to complete the survey, of which 336 (36.5%) were eligible, and 201 (59.8%) completed the survey. While Internet advertisements yielded the largest proportion of recruited participants and completed surveys overall, Craigslist and sampling strategies were more successful at targeting young adult smokers who went on to complete the survey and were more costeffective. Participants differed in demographic and substance use characteristics across the three recruitment mechanisms.
Discussion: We identified success at reaching young adults who have smoked cigarettes recently through the Internet, though costs, participant eligibility, proportion of completed surveys, and respondent characteristics differed among the three methods. A multipronged approach to Internet recruitment is most likely to generate a broad diverse sample of young adult smokers.
Nicotine & Tobacco Research - Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (435)
- The weirdest people in the world?; 2010; Heine, S. J., Henrich, J., Norenzayan, A.
- Presentation of a single item versus a grid: Effects on the vitality and mental health subscales of...; 2010; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Paradata: a new data source from web-administered measures; 2010; Sowan, A. K., Jenkins, L. S.
- Application of a check-all-that-apply question for the evaluation of strawberry cultivars from a breeding...; 2010; Lado, J., Vicente, E., Manzzioni, A., Ares, G.
- Using Online Surveys to Assess Information Needs of Healthcare Professionals in Low Resource Settings...; 2010; Ohkubo, S., Sullivan, T.
- Can biomarkers be collected in an Internet survey? A pilot study in the LISS panel; 2010; Avendano, M., Mackenbach, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Collecting Genetic Samples in Population Wide (Panel) Surveys: Feasibility, Nonresponse and Selectivity...; 2010; Dohmen, T., Falk, A., Montag, C., Reuter, M., Schonlau, M., Schupp, J., Siegel, N., Sunde, U., Wagner...
- The Role of Landline and Cell Phone Usage Patterns in Nonreponse Error Potential Among Young Adults...; 2010; Currivan, D. B., Levine, B., Mayo, N.
- Using a Simulation Study to Examine Strategies for Combining Cell and Landline Survey Samples; 2010; Duffy, T., Bausch, S., Iachan, R., Lu, B.
- Meeting the Challenges of Converting a Large Establishment Survey from Paper to Electronic Administration...; 2010; Roe, D. J., Thalji, L., Loft, J., Flicker, L., Stockdale, J., Stagnitti, M.
- Assessing the Accuracy of the Face-to-Face Recruited Internet Survey Platform: A Comparison of Behavioral...; 2010; Villar, A., Malka, A., Krosnick, J. A.
- Internet Panels and Health Research: Findings from National RDD Surveys.; 2010; Boyle, J.
- The Subject Lines of Web Survey Invitations and Participation Rates; 2010; Titiz, H., Ziniel, S.
- Nonresponse Bias and the Impact of Incentives in a Survey of Physician Members of a Professional Organization...; 2010; Buttermore, N. R.
- The Effectiveness of Multiple Modes Among Young Adults; 2010; Anderson-Knott, M., Jorgensen, S., Armitage, J.
- Diversity of Methods: Assessment of Quantitative and Qualitative Research Multiplier Effects.; 2010; Ballou, J., Roff, B., Anderson, M.
- A Comparison of Psychometric Properties Between Internet and Paper Versions of Two Depression Instruments...; 2010; Andersson, G., Engstroem, I., Hollaendare, F.
- The Influence of Response Mode on Study Results: Offering Cigarette Smokers a Choice of Postal or Online...; 2010; Callas, P. W., Solomon, L. J., Hughes, J. R., Livingston, A. E.
- The cancer survivor survey: Using Web-based technology to assess cancer survivor challenges; 2010; M., Skalla, K., Onega, T., Anton, K., Gallagher, S., Rhoda, J., DiSalvo , W., Dietrich, A. M.Smith,...
- Use of a Web-based Questionnaire in the Black Women's Health Study; 2010; W., Boggs, D. A., Palmer, J. R., Rosenberg, L.Russell, C. W.
- Reaching Emergency Medical Services Providers: Is One Survey Mode Better than Another?; 2010; Schmuhl, P., Van Duker, H., Gurley, K. L., Webster, A., Olson, L. M.
- Statistical foundations of cell-phone surveys; 2010; Wolter, K., Smith, P., Blumberg, S. J.
- Social desirability and self-reported health risk behaviors in web-based research: three longitudinal...; 2010; Crutzen, R., Goeritz, A.
- The effect of cash lottery on response rates to an online health survey among members of the Canadian...; 2010; Doerfling, P., Kopec, J., Liang, M. H., Esdaile, J. M.
- Reliability and Validity of an Internet-based Questionnaire Measuring Lifetime Physical Activity; 2010; De Vera, M. A., Ratzlaff, C., Doerfling, P., Kopec, J.
- A Web-Based Versus Paper Questionnaire on Alcohol and Tobacco in Adolescents; 2010; Lygidakis, C., Rigon, S., Cambiaso, S., Bottoli, E., Cuozzo, F., Bonetti, S., Della Bella, C., Marzo...
- Test-retest reliability of a questionnaire for the Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey; 2010; Bae, J., Joung, H., Kwon, K. N., Kim, Y. T., Kim, J. -Y., Park, S. -W.
- Using downloadable songs from Apple iTunes as a novel incentive for college students participating in...; 2010; McCree-Hale, R., De La Cruz, N. G., Montgomery, A. E.
- Comparison of Paper, Web, and IVR Responses in the Veterans Health Administration Survey; 2010; Teclaw, R., Osatuke, K., Yanovsky, B., Moore, S., Dyrenforth, S.
- Multi-Mode and Method Experiment in a Study of Nurses; 2010; Friese, C. R., Lee, C. S., O'Brien, S., Crawford, S. D.
- Computer Literacy and the Accuracy of Substance Use Reporting in an ACASI Survey; 2010; Johnson, T. P., Fendrich, M., Mackesy-Amiti, M. E.
- Is web interviewing a good alternative to telephone interviewing? Findings from the International Tobacco...; 2010; Nagelhout, G. E., Willemsen, M. C., Thompson, M. E., Fong, G. T., van den Putte, B., de Vries, H.
- A mixed-mode approach to data collection: combining web and paper questionnaires to examine nurses...; 2010; Guise, V., Chambers, M., Välimäki, M., Makkonen, P.
- Comparison between web-based and paper versions of a self-administered anthropometric questionnaire; 2010; Touvier, M., Méjean, C., Kesse-Guyo, E., Malon, A.Castetbon, K., Hercberg, S., Pollet, C.
- Use of an online questionnaire for follow-up of young female students recruited to a randomised controlled...; 2010; Atherton, H., Oakeshott, P., Aghaizu, A., Hay, P., Kerry, S.
- Effects of a Financial Incentive on Health Researchers’ Response to an Online Survey: a Randomized...; 2010; Wilson, P. M., Petticrew, M., Calnan, M., Nazareth, I.
- Reaching young adult smokers through the Internet: Comparison of three recruitment mechanisms; 2010; Ramo, D. E., Hall, S. M., Prochaska, J. J.
- College Students' Response Rate to an Incentivized Combination of Postal and Web-Based Health Survey; 2010; Balajti I., Daragó, L., Ádány, R., Kósa, K.
- Randomized trial showed that an “embedded” survey strategy optimized authorization rates...; 2010; Murdoch, M., Pietila, D. M., Partin, M. R.
- Telephone and web-based pediatric day surgery questionnaires; 2010; Amari, E., Vandebeek, C., Montgomery, C. J., Skarsgard, E., Ansermino, J. M.
- Interactive Voice Response and web-based questionnaires for population-based infectious disease reporting...; 2010; Bexelius, C., Merk, H., Sandin, S., Nyrén, O., Kühlmann-Berenzon, S., Linde, A., Litton, J.-E.
- Web-Based Survey of US Health Educators: Challenges and Lessons; 2010; Chen, L.-S., Goodson, P.
- Mode and Context Effects in Measuring Household Assets; 2010; van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A.
- A Web-Based Tool for Assessing and Improving the Usefulness of Community Health Assessments; 2009; Stoto, M. A., Straus, S. G., Bohn, C., Irani, P.
- Piloting Data Collection via Cell Phones: Results, Experiences, and Lessons Learned; 2009; ZuWallack, R. S.
- The Use of Online Methodologies in Data Collection for Gambling and Gaming Addictions; 2009; Griffiths, M. D.
- Research-on-research helps American Cancer Society assess the best modes for an ongoing study; 2009; Blais, L. M., Roller, M. R.
- The Introduction of a Cell Phone Oversample to the Ohio Family Health Survey: Covering the Undercovered...; 2009; Duffy, T., Iachan, R., Bausch, S., Muzzy, S., ZuWallack, R. S.
- Examining Mail and Web Survey Response Differences in a Survey on Assessment of Hospital Inpatient Care...; 2009; Lynch, J., Chen, P., Gordek, H., Babeu, L.
- A Comparison of Different Survey Periods in Online Surveys of Persons with Eating Disorders and Their...; 2009; Wesemann, D., Grunwald, A., Grunwald, M.