Web Survey Bibliography
Title Introduction to the Application of Web-Based Surveys
Author Timmerman, A.
Access date 27.05.2004
Full text pdf (237k)
Abstract This paper discusses some basic assumptions and issues concerning web-based surveys. Discussion includes: assumptions regarding cost and ease of use; disadvantages of web-based surveys, concerning the inability to compensate for four common errors of survey research: coverage error, sampling error, measurement error and nonresponse error; and web-based survey design. The paper concludes that based on the research thus far on web-based surveys, the following features are recommended for online survey products: (1) provide the option to include a progress indicator on the survey; (2) provide a method for respondents to print a printer-friendly version of the survey; (3) provide the researcher flexibility in the design and formatting of the survey; and (4) provide methods of authentication for probability samples such as password protection or PIN numbers. Two appendixes include "Criteria for Evaluating Web Sites (Southern Regional Education Board)" and a table of 'Principles for the Design of Web Surveys" (Dillman, Tortura, and Bowker, 1998).
Access/Direct link ERIC (full text)
Bibliographic typeReports, seminars
Year of publication2002
Web Survey Bibliography - Reports, seminars (303)
- Measuring Intent to Participate and Participation in the 2010 Census and Their Correlates and Trends...; 2010; Pasek, J., Krosnick, J. A.
- What it takes to be a top 100 website; 2010
- The psychology or survey response. An ASA webinar; 2010; Tourangeau, R.
- Site-intercpet survey best practices; 2010; Henning, J.
- Real ID. State of The Art Representative and Repeatable Online Samples. Behaviorally Profiled Respondents...; 2010; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Overview of data collection methodology; 2010
- Libraries nationwide receiving ALA-APA Library Salary Survey Invitation; 2010; Grady, J.
- Global market research 2010; 2010
- Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct; 2010
- Ekos' observation of MRIA study - Canadian online panels: similar or different?; 2010
- Demographics of mechanical Turk. Ceder working papers; 2010; Ipeirotis, P. G.
- Broadband adoption and use in America; 2010; Horrigan, J.
- Continuity and Innovation in the Design of Understanding Society: the UK Household Longitudinal Study...; 2010; Laurie, H.
- Weighting Strategy for Understanding Society; 2010; Lynn, P., Kaminska, O.
- Lessons from a Randomised Experiment with Mixed-Mode Designs for a Household Panel Survey; 2010; Lynn, P., Uhrig, S.C. N., Burton, J.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 2: Results from Methodological Experiments ; 2010; Burton, J., Laurie, H., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- Codebook and explanatory note on the WageIndicator dataset ; 2010; Tijdens, K., van Zijl, S., Hughie-Williams, M., van Klaveren, M., Steinmetz, S.
- Online Survey Research in the Work-Family Field: Basic Concepts and Definitions; 2010; Lambert, A. D.
- Choosing Between Telephone and Online for Survey Data Collection ; 2010; Baker, R. P.
- Using KnowledgePanel® to Improve the Sample Representativeness and Accuracy of Opt-in Panel Data...; 2010; Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Graham, P.
- AAPOR Report on Online Panels; 2010; Baker, R. P., Blumberg, S. J., Brick, J. M. et. al.
- A comparison of surveys using different modes of data collection; 2010; Revilla, M., Saris, W. E.
- Using Address Based Sampling to Survey the General Public by Mail vs. 'Web plus Mail'; 2010; Messer, B. L., Dillman, D. A.
- MarketTools TrueSample; 2009
- ISO 26362 Access panels in market, opinion, and social research-Vocabulary and service requirements; 2009
- Global market research 2009; 2009
- Exploring mode effects in a panel survey of new businesses; 2009; Santos, B., DesRoches, D.
- comScore Media Metrix U.S. Methodlogy. An ARF research review; 2009; Cook, W. A., Pettit, R.
- Computing weights for the American National Election Study survey data; 2009; Debell, M., Krosnick, J. A.
- Association collaborative effort releases online research definitions, expands membership; 2009
- Sample Design for Understanding Society ; 2009; Lynn, P.
- The rise of survey sampling; 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Standard Definitions: Final Dispositions of Case Codes and Outcome Rates for Surveys 2009; 2009; The American Association for Public Opinion Research
- College Experiences Survey: Methodological Summary. Final Report; 2009; DesRoches, D., Hall, J. W., Santos, B.
- Comparing different weighting procedures for volunteer online panels - Lessons to be learned from German...; 2009; Steinmetz, S., Tijdens, K., de Pedraza, P.
- Employment Tribunal web survey: Results of an online survey 19 March - 2 April 2009; 2009; Anonymous
- Representativeness of Mobile Internet Surveys-A comparative study of CAMI vs. CATI - GOR 2009; 2009; Maier, U., Neubarth, W., Grosser, A., Hombach, A.
- Are Mode Preferences Real?; 2009; Millar, M. M., O'Neill, A. C., Dillman, D. A.
- Is the digital divide still closing? New evidence points to skewed online results absent non-Internet...; 2008; Callegaro, M., Wells, T.
- Introducing Visual Methods ; 2008; Prosser, J., Loxley, A.
- Personal data of 600,000 on lost laptop; 2008; Evans, M.
- Online panel management practices that minimize satisficing behavior; 2008; Weber, S.
- History of the browser user agent string; 2008; Andersen, A.
- Global market research 2008; 2008
- Foundation of quality project overview; 2008
- Effects of using a grid versus a sequential form of the ACS basic demographic data; 2008; Chesnut, J.
- Understanding Society. Some preliminary results from the Wave 1 Innovation Panel ; 2008; Burton, J., Laurie, H., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- Internet CV surveys – a cheap, fast way to get large samples of biased values?; 2008; Lindhjem, H., Navrud, S.Navrud, S,
- Virtual Assisted Self Interviewing (VASI) : An Expansion of Survey Data Collection Methods to the Virtual...; 2008; Bell, M. W., Castronova, E., Wagner, G. G.
- Does Gender Influence Online Survey Participation? A Record-Linkage Analysis of University Faculty Online...; 2008; Smith, W. G.