Web Survey Bibliography
Title Introduction to the Application of Web-Based Surveys
Author Timmerman, A.
Access date 27.05.2004
Full text pdf (237k)
Abstract This paper discusses some basic assumptions and issues concerning web-based surveys. Discussion includes: assumptions regarding cost and ease of use; disadvantages of web-based surveys, concerning the inability to compensate for four common errors of survey research: coverage error, sampling error, measurement error and nonresponse error; and web-based survey design. The paper concludes that based on the research thus far on web-based surveys, the following features are recommended for online survey products: (1) provide the option to include a progress indicator on the survey; (2) provide a method for respondents to print a printer-friendly version of the survey; (3) provide the researcher flexibility in the design and formatting of the survey; and (4) provide methods of authentication for probability samples such as password protection or PIN numbers. Two appendixes include "Criteria for Evaluating Web Sites (Southern Regional Education Board)" and a table of 'Principles for the Design of Web Surveys" (Dillman, Tortura, and Bowker, 1998).
Access/Direct link ERIC (full text)
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeReports, seminars
Web Survey Bibliography - Reports, seminars (269)
- Global market research 2009; 2009
- Exploring mode effects in a panel survey of new businesses; 2009; Santos, B., DesRoches, D.
- comScore Media Metrix U.S. Methodlogy. An ARF research review; 2009; Cook, W. A., Pettit, R.
- Computing weights for the American National Election Study survey data; 2009; Debell, M., Krosnick, J. A.
- Association collaborative effort releases online research definitions, expands membership; 2009
- Sample Design for Understanding Society ; 2009; Lynn, P.
- The rise of survey sampling; 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Standard Definitions: Final Dispositions of Case Codes and Outcome Rates for Surveys 2009; 2009; The American Association for Public Opinion Research
- College Experiences Survey: Methodological Summary. Final Report; 2009; DesRoches, D., Hall, J. W., Santos, B.
- Employment Tribunal web survey: Results of an online survey 19 March - 2 April 2009; 2009; Anonymous
- Representativeness of Mobile Internet Surveys-A comparative study of CAMI vs. CATI - GOR 2009; 2009; Maier, U., Neubarth, W., Grosser, A., Hombach, A.
- Are Mode Preferences Real?; 2009; Millar, M. M., O'Neill, A. C., Dillman, D. A.
- Personal data of 600,000 on lost laptop; 2008; Evans, M.
- Online panel management practices that minimize satisficing behavior; 2008; Weber, S.
- History of the browser user agent string; 2008; Andersen, A.
- Global market research 2008; 2008
- Foundation of quality project overview; 2008
- Effects of using a grid versus a sequential form of the ACS basic demographic data; 2008; Chesnut, J.
- Understanding Society. Some preliminary results from the Wave 1 Innovation Panel ; 2008; Burton, J., Laurie, H., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- Internet CV surveys – a cheap, fast way to get large samples of biased values?; 2008; Lindhjem, H., Navrud, S.Navrud, S,
- Virtual Assisted Self Interviewing (VASI) : An Expansion of Survey Data Collection Methods to the Virtual...; 2008; Bell, M. W., Castronova, E., Wagner, G. G.
- Does Gender Influence Online Survey Participation? A Record-Linkage Analysis of University Faculty Online...; 2008; Smith, W. G.
- The impact of cookie deletion on the accuracy of site-server and ad-server metrics: An empirical comScore...; 2007; Abraham, M., Meierhoefer, C., Lipsman, A.
- The case for publishing (some) online polls; 2007; Taylor, H.
- Response option ordering: Reconciliating meanings conveyed by rating scale position and label. Unpublished...; 2007; Garland, P., Krosnick, J. A.
- More honest answers to surveys? A Study of data collection mode effects; 2007; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J.
- IMRO guidelines for best practices in online sample and panel management; 2007
- ICC/ESOMAR International code on market and social research; 2007
- Global market research 2007; 2007
- Bad samples; 2007
- Can I use a panel? Panel conditioning and attrition bias in panel surveys; 2007; Das, M., Toepoel, V., van Soest, A.
- Burke panel quality R&D Summary; 2007; Miller, J.
- Guidelines for Designing Questionnaires for Administration in Different Modes; 2007; Martin, E.; Hunter, J. E.; DeMaio, T.; Hill, J.; Reiser, C.; Gerber, E.; Styles, K.; Dillman, D. A.
- Email Surveys in Educational Research: Ethical and Net-Cultural Concerns; 2007; Nguyen, C. H.
- Web-based expert surveys: The opportunities for conducting web-based elite expert surveys; 2007; Dahlberg, L.
- E-Survey Methodology; 2007; Jansen, K. J., Corley, K. G., Jansen, B. J.
- Web-based survey techniques. A synthesis of Transit practice; 2006
- Understanding people. Sample matching; 2006; Rivers, D.
- Sample matching. Representative sampling from Internet panels; 2006; Rivers, D.
- Research quality: The next MR industry challenge; 2006; Dedeker, K.
- Greenfield unveils real-time sampling; 2006
- Global market research 2006; 2006
- F-Shaped pattern for reading web content; 2006; Nielsen, J.
- Standard Definitions: Final Dispositions of Case Codes and Outcome Rates for Surveys 2006; 2006
- Online Student Ratings: Increasing Response Rates; 2006; Nelson, D. L.
- Experience-Based Suggestions for Achieving a High Survey Response Rate; 2006; Bruce, S., Hawkins, P., Sharp, M., Keller, A.
- Selection Bias in Web Surveys and the Use of Propensity Scores; 2006; Schonlau, M., van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A., Couper, M. P.
- Sampling Methods for Web and E-mail Surveys; 2006; Fricker, R. D.
- Instructing Web and Telephone Respondents to Report Date Answers in Format Desired by the Surveyor; 2005; Christian, L. M., Dillman, D. A., Smyth, J. D.
- Assessing the Quality of Data from Online Panels: Moving Forward wiht Confidence; 2005; Smith, R.