Web Survey Bibliography
In Experiment 1, separate samples rated nouns on danger, using either an online survey or the same survey in person. In Experiment 2, a single sample rated words on familiarity, using both methods. Women's in-person and online ratings correlated significantly better than men's. In-person ratings correlated significantly better with existing norms in 4 of 8 instances. There were significant effects of condition on mean ratings and completion times. Ratings from participants who withdrew from the experiment correlated significantly less well with existing norms than did ratings from those who completed the whole experiment, in 12 of 16 instances. Analysis of existing data showed that a different statistical conclusion is reached depending on whether in-person or online ratings are used. Furthermore, the categorization of 17.9% (Experiment 1) and 5.3% (Experiment 2) of the items as high or low depends on which ratings are used. Ratings gathered in person and online cannot be freely substituted.
Journal Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Behavior Research Methods (25)
- A standard for test reliability in group research; 2013; Ellis, J. L.
- The viability of crowdsourcing for survey research; 2011; Behrend, T. et al.
- Why do you play? The development of the motives for online gaming questionnaire (MOGQ); 2011; Demetrovics, Z., Urbán, R., Nagygyörgy, K., Farkas, J., Zilahy, D., Mervó, B., Reindl, A., Agoston,...
- Twice random, once mixed: Applying mixed models to simultaneously analyze random effects of language...; 2011; Janssen, D. P.
- Seriousness Checks are Useful to Improve Data Validity in Online Research; 2010; Diedenhofen, D., Aust, F., Ullrich, S., Musch, J.
- A validation of well-being and happiness surveys for administration via the Internet ; 2010; Howell, R. T., Rodzon, K. S., Kurai, M., Sanchez, A. H.
- A short self-report measure of problems with executive function suitable for administration via the...; 2010; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- A comparison of stimulus ratings made online and in person: Gender and method effects; 2010; Barenboym, D. A., Wurm, L. H., Cano, A.
- Differences in responses to Web and paper surveys among school professionals; 2010; Yetter, G., Capaccioli, K.
- Making small effects observable: Reducing error by using visual analogue scales; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Comparison of ability tests administered online and in the laboratory; 2009; Marten Ihme, J., Lemke, F., Lieder, K., Martin, F., Müller, J. C., Schmidt, S.
- Building and managing an online panel with phpPanelAdmin; 2009; Goeritz, A.
- A decade of Internet-based data collection: Time is ripe for combining e-learning with i-science; 2009; Reips, U. -D.
- The effect of varying the number of response alternatives in rating scales: Experimental evidence from...; 2009; Maydeu-Olivares, A., Kramp, U., García-Forero, C., Gallardo-Pujol, D., Coffman, D.
- Timing accuracy of Web experiments: A case study using the WebExp software package; 2009; Keller, F., Gunasekharan, S., Mayo, N., Corley, M.
- Using the World-Wide Web to obtain large-scale word norms: 190,212 ratings on a set of 2,654 German...; 2009; Lahl, O., Goeritz, A., Pietrowsky, R., Rosenberg, J.
- Practical advice for conducting ethical online experiments and questionnaires for United States psychologists...; 2008; Barchard K. A., Williams, J.
- Individual payments as a longer-term incentive in online panels ; 2008; Goeritz, A., Wolff, H.-G., Goldstein, D. G.
- Interval-level measurement with visual analogue scales in Internet-based research: VAS generator; 2008; Reips, U. -D., Funke, F.,
- Computer-assisted self-interviews: A cost effectiveness analysis; 2008; L. Vanable, P. A., Eriksen, M. D., L.Brown, J. L.
- Dynamic online surveys and experiments with the free open-source software dynQuest ; 2007; Rademacher, J. D.M, Lippke, S.
- Pocket-sized psychology studies: Exploring daily diary software for Palm Pilots; 2006; Le, B., Choi, D.
- Using personal digital assistants (PDAs) for the collection of safety belt use data in the field; 2006; Vivoda, J. M., Eby, D. W.
- The Web experiment list: A Web service for the recruitment of participants and archiving of Internet...; 2005; Reips, U. -D., Lengler, R.
- Generic HTML Form Processor: A versatile PHP script to save Web-collected data into a MySQL database; 2005; Goeritz, A., Birnbaum, M. H.