Web Survey Bibliography
The aim of this study is to investigate differences in responses related to (mental) health and behavior between two methods of data collection: web-based (web) and paper-and-pencil (p&p). Study Design.
Within each participating school all third-grade classes (mainly 14-15-year-old pupils) were randomly assigned to either the Internet condition (n=271) or the paper-and-pencil condition (n=261). Principal Findings.
Significant but small differences were found for the strengths and difficulties subscales “emotional symptoms” (p&p>web) and “prosocial behavior” (p&p>web), and carrying a weapon (web>p&p). Perceived level of privacy and confidentiality did not differ between the two modes. Conclusions.
The findings suggest that in a controlled school setting, web-based administration of health indicators yields almost the same results as paper-and-pencil administration. To generalize these findings, we recommend repeated studies in other populations and settings.
Ingenta Select Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Psychological issues (231)
- Why are you leaving me?? - Personality predictors of answering drop out in an online-study; 2013; Thielsch, M., Nestler, S., Back, M.
- The viability of crowdsourcing for survey research; 2011; Behrend, T. et al.
- Taking the pulse of public opinion: Leading and misleading indicators of the state of the nation; 2011; Bishop, G. F., Mockabee, S. T.
- Knowledge Networks answers to ESOMAR's "25 Questions to Help Research Buyers"; 2011
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- Going online with assessment; 2011; Burke, E. et al.
- Does mentioning "some people" and "other people" in a survey question increase the...; 2011; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A.
- Reducing Sensitive Survey Response Bias in Research on Adolescents: A Comparison of Web-Based and Paper...; 2011; Wyrick, D. L., Bond, L.
- Testing for measurement equivalence of human values across online and paper-and-pencil surveys; 2011; Davidov, E., Depner, F.
- Explaining more variance with visual analogue scales: A Web experiment; 2011; Funke, F.
- Different functioning of rating scale formats – results from psychometric and physiological experiments...; 2011; Koller, M., Salzberger, T.
- The who, what, and where of America: Understanding the American Community Survey; 2010; Gaquin, D. A.
- The weirdest people in the world?; 2010; Heine, S. J., Henrich, J., Norenzayan, A.
- The psychology or survey response. An ASA webinar; 2010; Tourangeau, R.
- The psychology of survey response, 2nd Edition; 2010; Tourangeau, R., Bradburn, N. M.
- Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct; 2010
- Does Making The Survey Topic More Salient Lead To An Expert Bias? – The Influence of Announcing...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Weilbuchner, N., Jungreithmaier, S.
- Participant Dropout as a Function of Survey Length in Internet-Mediated University Studies: Implications...; 2010; Hoerger, M.
- A validation of well-being and happiness surveys for administration via the Internet ; 2010; Howell, R. T., Rodzon, K. S., Kurai, M., Sanchez, A. H.
- Conducting an internet-based survey: benefits, pitfalls and lessons learned; 2010; Alessi, E. J., I.Martin, J. I.
- Variations in Response Style Behavior by Response Scale Format in Attitude Research; 2010; Kieruj, N. D., Moors, G.
- The use of web questionnaires in second language acquisition and bilingualism research; 2010; Wilson, R., Dewaele, J. M.
- Randomized trial showed that an “embedded” survey strategy optimized authorization rates...; 2010; Murdoch, M., Pietila, D. M., Partin, M. R.
- Instrument Development With Web Surveys and Multiple Imputations ; 2010; Chang, L. C., Frost, L. Z., Chao, S., Ree, M. J.
- Cognitive burden of survey questions and response times: A psycholinguistic experiment; 2010; Lenzner, T., Kaczmirek, L., Lenzner, A.
- From the Editor; 2009; Sackett, P. R.
- A Comparison of Different Survey Periods in Online Surveys of Persons with Eating Disorders and Their...; 2009; Wesemann, D., Grunwald, A., Grunwald, M.
- The mixing of survey modes: application to Laon web and face‐to‐face household travel survey...; 2009; Bayart, C., Bonnel, P.
- Using Mobile Phones to Administer a Working Memory Updating Task in a Survey - Cognitive Performance...; 2009; Schmiedek, F., Riediger, M., Lindenberger, U., Wagner, G. G.
- Relevance Of Health-Related Online-Information In Offline- And Online-Samples; 2009; Stetina, B. U., McElheney, J., Lehenbauer, M., Hinterberger, E., Pintzinger, N., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- An Online Study on Coping with Anxiety and Disease-Specific Internet Use in Panic Attack Sufferers; 2009; König, D., Hiebler, C., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- Implementation of a reaction time tool for brand measurement at Swisscom; 2009; Paar, I., Urbahn, J.
- Visual Heuristics and Answer Formats in Rating Scales; 2009; Toepoel, V. Dillman, D. A.
- Personality on Social Network Sites: An Application of the Five Factor Model; 2009; Wehrli, S.
- Trauma Victim: Yes or No? Why It May Be Difficult to Answer Questions Regarding Violence, Sexual Abuse...; 2009; Thoresen, S., Øverlien, C.
- Internet versus paper-and-pencil survey methods in psychological experiments: Equivalence testing of...; 2009; Lewis, I., Watson, B., White, K. M.
- Timing accuracy of Web experiments: A case study using the WebExp software package; 2009; Keller, F., Gunasekharan, S., Mayo, N., Corley, M.
- Gender-of-Interviewer Effects in a Video-Enhanced Web Survey: Results from a Randomized Field Experiment...; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Psychometric properties of internet administered versions of Penn State Worry Questionnaire (PSWQ) and...; 2009; Zlomke, K. R.
- Eye-Tracking Data: New Insights on Response Order Effects and Other Cognitive Shortcuts in Survey Responding...; 2009; Galesic, M., Tourangeau, R., P.;Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G.
- Effects of different types of progress indicators on drop-out rates in web surveys; 2009; Matzat, U., Snijders, C., van der Horst, W.
- Web-based measurement: Effect of completing single or multiple items per webpage; 2009; Thorndike, F. P., Carlbring, P., Smyth, F. L., Magee, J. C., Gonder-Frederick, L., Ost, L. G., Ritterband...
- The psychology of survey response; 2008; Schwarz, N.
- Comparison of Web-Based versus Paper-and-Pencil Self-Administered Questionnaire: Effects on Health Indicators...; 2008; van de Looij-Jansen, P. M., de Wilde, E. J.
- Does speed in completing an online questionnaire have an influence on its reliability?; 2008; Montag, C., Reuter, M.
- When Encouraging Looks Go Too Far: Using Virtual Humans to Understand the Role of Rapport in the Survey...; 2008; Foucault, B., Aguilar, J., Cassell, J., Miller, P. V.
- Antecedents of Anonymity Perceptions in Web-based Surveys; 2008; Whelan, T. J.
- A Comparison of Item Nonresponse in Web and Pen-and-Paper Surveys of Sexual Behaviour; 2008; Evans, A. R., Elford, J., Bolding, G., Wiggins, D.
- Psycholinguistic Determinants of Question Difficulty: A Web Experiment; 2008; Faaß, T., Kaczmirek, L.
- Effects of innovativeness and trust on web survey participation; 2008; Fang, J., Shao, P., Lan, G.