Web Survey Bibliography
To evaluate the effectiveness of pre-notification and pleading invitations in Web surveys by embedding a randomized controlled trial (RCT) in a Web-based survey.
Study Design and Setting
E-mail addresses of 569 authors of published maternal health research were randomized in a 2×2 factorial trial of a pre-notification vs. no pre-notification e-mail and a pleading vs. a non-pleading invitation e-mail. The primary outcome was completed response rate, and the secondary outcome was submitted response rate (which included complete and partial responses).
Pleading invitations resulted in 5.0% more completed questionnaires, although this difference did not reach statistical significance [odds ratio (OR) 1.23; 95% confidence interval (CI): 0.86, 1.74; P = 0.25]. Pre-notification did not increase the completion rate (OR 1.04; 95% CI 0.73, 1.48; P = 0.83). Response was higher among authors who had published in 2006 or later (OR 2.07; 95% CI: 1.43, 2.98; P = 0.001). There was some evidence that pre-notification was more effective in increasing submissions from authors with recent publications (P = 0.04).
The use of a “pleading” tone to e-mail invitations may increase response to a Web-based survey. Authors of recently published research are more likely to respond to a Web-based survey.
ScienceDirect Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - 2011 (584)
- Discriminant validity and test–retest reliability of a self-administered Internet-based questionnaire...; 2011; Burnand, B., Cornuz , J., Durieux, P., Taffé, P., Voellinger, R.
- The Global Online Sexuality Survey (GOSS): Erectile Dysfunction Among Arabic-Speaking Internet Users...; 2011; Shaeer, K., Shaeer, O. K. Z.
- Use of Cognitive Shortcuts in Landline and Cell Phone Surveys; 2011; Everett, S. E., Kennedy, C.
- Bias in Online Recruitment and Retention of Racial and Ethnic Minority Men Who Have Sex With Men; 2011; Amsden, M., Coggia, T., DiClemente, R. J., Khosropour, C. M., Luisi, N., Sullivan, P. S., Wingood, G...
- Mode Effect or Question Wording? Measurement Error in Mixed Mode Surveys; 2011; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Data Collection in a Probability-Based Internet Panel: How the LISS Panel Was Built and How It Can Be...; 2011; Scherpenzeel, A.
- Comments on "Socially desirable crime reporting in victimization surveys"; 2011; Vollaard, B.
- Socially Desirable Crime Rates? A Dutch Study on Socially Desirable Responding and its Impact on the...; 2011; Heemskerk, M., van Wilsem, J.
- Discussion: "Conducting Respondent Driven Sampling on the Web: An Experimental Approach to Recruiting...; 2011; Toepoel, V.
- Smartphone Data Collection Among LISS Panel Members; 2011; Fernee, H., Sonck, N., Stoop, I.
- Self-Control and its Relation to Emotions & Psychobiology: Evidence from a Day Reconstruction Method...; 2011; Baumeister, R., Daly, M., Delaney, L., MacLachlan, M.
- Conducting Respondent Driven Sampling on the Web: An Experimental Approach to Recruiting Challenges; 2011; Kapteyn, A., Schonlau, M.
- Anchoring vignettes: response consistency and order effects; 2011; Kapteyn, A., Smith, J. P., van Soest, A., Vonkova, H.
- Discussion of Melanie Revilla's presentation on "Impact of the mode of data collection on...; 2011; Blom, A. G.
- Comments on the paper - Geetha Garib: Perceived diversity among employees; 2011; Vehovar, V.
- Framing Effects and Expected Social Security Claiming Behavior; 2011; Brown, J., Kapteyn, A., Mitchell, O. S.
- Impact of the mode of data collection on the quality of survey questions depending on respondents'...; 2011; Revilla, M.
- Wireless Health Monitoring, Feedback, and Health Behaviors; 2011; Kooreman, P., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Building an Online Immigrant Panel: Response and Representativity; 2011; Scherpenzeel, A.
- ELIPSS: A New Mobile Web Panel for Social Scientists; 2011; Lesnard, L.
- Drop-out rates during completion of an occupation search tree in web-surveys; 2011; Tijdens, K.
- Concept and Structure of the “German Internet Panel” (GIP); 2011; Blom, A. G., Gathmann, C., Riepe, C.
- Web survey and embedded intervention on emergency department personnel perceptions of role in patient...; 2011; Bertsch, K. S., Boss, R. M., Cousins, A. C., Gardiner, F. G., Gibbs, F. J., Jay, G. D., Kobayashi, T...
- Effects of Incentives and Prenotification on Response Rates and Costs in a National Web Survey of Physicians...; 2011; Bonham, V., Day, B., Dykema, J., Sellers, S., Stevenson, J.
- A Web Survey Program Based on Computer Technology and Its Application to Evaluation Model about Youth...; 2011; Song, M., Song, Y-G., Yang, T.
- Nonsampling errors in dual frame telephone surveys ; 2011; Brick, J. M., Flores Cervantes, I., Lee, S., Norman, G.
- Teens Ask Doctors on the Internet: A One-Year Survey of an Adolescent Health Internet Forum ; 2011; Hardoff, D., Rigler, S.
- Conceptualizing the value of Web content in marketing research; 2011; Chang, J.
- Do millennial undergraduates’ views of writing differ when surveyed online versus on paper? ; 2011; Kim, H., Musallam, A. B., Schallert, D. L.
- Reliability and validity of self-reported burnout in college students: A cross randomized comparison...; 2011; Bonafé, F. S. S., Campos, J. A. D. B., Jordani, P. C., Lucindo Zucoloto, M., Maroco, J.
- Measurement invariance in training evaluation: Old question, new context; 2011; P., Gissel, A., Stoughton, J. W., Whelan, T. J.Clark, A. P.
- Comparison of Web and Mail Responses in a Census of Swedish Local Political Representatives; 2011; Gilljam, M., Granberg, D., Holm, B., Persson, M., Karlsson, D., Sundell, A.
- Towards Usage of Avatar Interviewers in Web Surveys; 2011; Jans, M., Malakhoff, L.
- Handbook of Nonresponse in Household Surveys ; 2011; Bethlehem, J., Cobben, F., Schouten, B.
- Investigating Change: Web-based Analyses of US Census and American Community Survey Data; 2011; Frey, W. H.
- Are Internet surveys an alternative to face-to-face interviews in contingent valuation? ; 2011; Lindhjem, H. Navrud, S,
- Non-response bias in a web-based health behaviour survey of New Zealand tertiary students; 2011; Connor, J., Kypri, K., Langley, J. D., Maclennan, B., Samaranayaka, A.
- Dropout in Web-based studies: Methodology; 2011; Reips, U. -D.
- Why do respondents drop-out from online surveys? Results from follow-up surveys in the German Longitudinal...; 2011; Blumenstiel, J. E., Roßmann, J., Steinbrecher, M.
- Is it what you say, or how you say it? Exploring the effects of email messages for online panel surveys...; 2011; Fazekas, Z. Krouwel, A. Wall, M. T.
- Large Companies, Multiple Surveys: The Promise and Challenge of Web (Survey) 2.0; 2011; Tuttle, A.
- Observations about Respondent Behaviors and Survey Data from a Web Survey Commissioned by the U.S. Food...; 2011; Lin, C. T. J.
- Web Surveys: Re-(Search) for an Appropriate Design; 2011; Blanke, K.
- What We Know About Our Online Respondents…And How We Plan to Use That Knowledge; 2011; Gottschall, C.
- Reliability and Validity of self-reported Burnout in college students: A cross randomized comparison...; 2011; Bonafé, F. S. S., Campos, J. A. D. B., Jordani, P. C., Lucindo Zucoloto, M., Maroco, J.
- Results from the Iterative Usability Testing of the American Community Survey (ACS); 2011; Ashenfelter, K. T., Hughes, T.
- Left feels right! The optimal position of answer boxes in Web surveys; 2011; Galesic, M., Kaczmirek, L., Lenzner, T., Merkert, M.
- Image effects on online survey respondents; 2011; Marinica, B.
- Usability testing of market research questionnaires; 2011; Coombe, R., Jarrett, C., Johnson, A.
- Detecting the unconscious: Eye Tracking in pretesting questionnaires; 2011; Tries, S.