Web Survey Bibliography
Online survey programs allow researchers to customize a survey and place it on the Internet for participants to access. Individuals can create their own surveys and post them online, post existing surveys, or, if survey design is difficult, even purchase premade surveys and customize them to meet one’s individual needs. The option of online surveys is quickly becoming a popular means of collecting data in today’s research world. In fact, Cook, Heath, and Thompson (2000) suggest that the possibilities provided through Internet surveys are “too great to be ignored” (p. 833).
Many options are available for researchers wanting to explore this means of data collection. Therefore, this paper has multiple goals. The first is to discuss the relevance of online survey tools in work-family literature. Second is to discuss several of the survey options available, including features common to most programs, as well as to discuss some unique features of each. Lastly, this paper will outline some of the methodological concerns and disadvantages associated with online surveys in order to identify strategies to avoid potential pitfalls. This section will conclude with a discussion on the advantages of online survey tools.
Multiple web-based survey options were examined for this paper (Assess, Qualtrics, StudyResponse Survey Gizmo, Survey Gold, SurveyMonkey, ZipSurvey, and Zoomerang), but specific applications in these survey tools are subject to change. Researchers are encouraged to do their own comparison of different tools based on their specific needs.
Work and Family Encyclopedia Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - 2010 (406)
- Recruiting Online Panel Members from a Mail survey in the General Population: Results from an Exploratory...; 2010; Reuband, K.H.
- Operational Aspects of Recruiting High Internet Users via a CATI Screening on an RDD Frame; 2010; Batra, P.
- Uses of YouTube, and Other Web 2.0 Applications, in Data Collection; 2010; Franklin, J.
- Towards Usage of Web 2.0 Technology and Avatars for Web Surveys; 2010; Malakhoff, L.
- Technical Challenges in the Development and Implementation of QUEST (CARI Monitoring System); 2010; Sattaluri, S., Spain, C., Nguyen, M., Thissen, R.
- Off-the-shelf Web Software: Qualtrics; 2010; Warren, N.
- Web Based Paper Form Verification Using QueXF; 2010; Zammit, A.
- Cell Connectivity Options for Field Interviewing ; 2010; Nofziger, J., Griggs, C.
- E-mail Experiments in Web Surveys; 2010; Hupp, A., Murray-Close, M.
- Advance Notice Impact on Web Reporting Response Rates; 2010; Gomes, T., Harrell, L. J., Hatch Maxfield, J., Hertwig, R.
- Web Surveys in the Social Sciences: An Overview ; 2010; Frippiat, D., Marquis, N.
- Normalized Database Structure to Support Survey Fulfillment Operations; 2010; Sikes, N., Pittman, J., Hazel, K.
- Hatteras Survey System: On-path Validation for a Non-linear Survey Engine; 2010; Suresh, R., Allen, S., Peele, B., Rasmussen, C., Sattler, S., Suresh, P., Warmoth, E.
- Using User Mode Linux For Web Surveys; 2010; Vogel, D.
- Nonresponse Error, Measurement Error and Mode of Data Collection: Tradeoffs in a Multi-Mode Survey; 2010; Sakshaug, J. W., Tourangeau, R., Yan, T.
- Item Non-response Differences Between Web and Mail Surveys of the General Public; 2010; Dillman, D. A., Edwards, M. L., Messer, B. L., Millar, M. M.
- Mode Effect or Question Wording? Source of Measurement Error in Mixed Mode Surveys; 2010; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Scherpenzeel, A., Stam, S., Zandvliet, R.
- Beyond the Blank-Canvas Approach ; 2010; Terhanian, G.
- When the water is right.; 2010; Andruss, P.
- Online Surveys For Dummies; 2010; Bhaskaran, V., LeClaire, J.
- The Role of Landline and Cell Phone Usage Patterns in Nonreponse Error Potential Among Young Adults...; 2010; Currivan, D. B., Levine, B., Mayo, N.
- Differences in Early and Late Responders: Findings from a Military Web-Based Community Survey.; 2010; Prabhakaran, J., Spera, C., Leach, L. M., Foster, R.
- Assessing Cell Phone Noncoverage Bias Across Different Topics and Subgroups; 2010; Christian, L. M., Keeter, S., Purcell, K., Smith, A.
- Using a Simulation Study to Examine Strategies for Combining Cell and Landline Survey Samples; 2010; Duffy, T., Bausch, S., Iachan, R., Lu, B.
- An Examination of Panel Conditioning in an Advertising Tracking Study with Cross-Sectional Design; 2010; Anderson, A. J., Marsh, K. A., Turner, S., Marsh, S. M.
- The Unusual Suspects for Survey Non-response: A Follow-up Study with Respondents and Non- Respondents...; 2010; Lai, J. W., Bell, S., Walker, M., Link, M. W., Narciso, L., Jin, T.
- Representing Seniors in an Online National Probability Panel Survey: Measuring Technology Attitudes...; 2010; Peugh, J., Mansfield, W., Wells, T., Semans, K.
- Communicating Disclosure Risk in Informed Consent Statements; 2010; Singer, E., Couper, M. P.
- Meeting the Challenges of Converting a Large Establishment Survey from Paper to Electronic Administration...; 2010; Roe, D. J., Thalji, L., Loft, J., Flicker, L., Stockdale, J., Stagnitti, M.
- Assessing the Accuracy of the Face-to-Face Recruited Internet Survey Platform: A Comparison of Behavioral...; 2010; Villar, A., Malka, A., Krosnick, J. A.
- Internet Panels and Health Research: Findings from National RDD Surveys.; 2010; Boyle, J.
- Item Nonresponse Analysis for a Mixed-Mode Survey.; 2010; Lorenc, B., Olsson, K.
- Significant Factors Governing the Use of Auditory Stimuli in Web Questionnaires; 2010; Utami, S. S., Dawood, R., Navvab, M.
- The Subject Lines of Web Survey Invitations and Participation Rates; 2010; Titiz, H., Ziniel, S.
- When to Email or Not?: Determining the Best Day of the Week to Send Evites For Participation in a Web...; 2010; Epps, S. R., Hall, L., Hunter, J. A.Hall, L. M.
- Experimental Trial of Benefit Appeals on Completion Rates for the Agricultural Screening Survey; 2010; Atkinson, D., Moore, D., McCarthy, J. S.
- Mode Effect or Question Wording? Developing Robust Questions for Mixed Mode Surveys; 2010; de Leeuw, E. D., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Using Overt and Covert Survey Traps to Maximize Data Quality; 2010; Cardador, J., Wayman, M., Sheridan, M.
- Professional Web Respondents and Data Quality; 2010; Conrad, F. G., Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Zhang, C.
- Does Making The Survey Topic More Salient Lead To An Expert Bias? – The Influence of Announcing...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Weilbuchner, N., Jungreithmaier, S.
- Time Related Inconsistencies in Global Online Panels; 2010; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Study of Non-Probability Sample Internet Surveys' Estimates of Consumer Product Usage and Demographic...; 2010; Yeager, D. S., Carter, A., Tewoldemedhin, H., Krosnick, J. A.
- Nonresponse Bias and the Impact of Incentives in a Survey of Physician Members of a Professional Organization...; 2010; Buttermore, N. R.
- Economic or Social Exchange: Examining the Effects of Different Incentive Amounts in a Panel Study; 2010; Boulianne, S. J.
- The Effectiveness of an Interactive Web Survey in Decreasing Satisficing and Social Desirability Bias...; 2010; Walejko, G. K.
- Response Behaviors in Self-Administered Multiple Questionnaire Surveys; 2010; Lacey, J. N., Ramirez, C. M.
- Experimental Tests on Response Rates in Student Web Surveys: What Works and What Doesn’t; 2010; Bloom, J. D.
- Web Surveys when Databases have Incomplete Email Records: The Impact of Modifying the Method of Respondent...; 2010; Elasmar, M. G.
- An Experiment to Test the Feasibility and Quality of a Web-Based Questionnaire of Teachers; 2010; Jacob, R., Scott, L., Rowan, B.
- Web Questionnaire Usage in an Establishment Survey; 2010; Harris, S. J., Biemer, P. P., Penne, M. A.