Web Survey Bibliography
Background: The study goal was to describe physical, psychosocial, psychological, spiritual, and economic challenges faced by cancer survivors. A secondary aim was to develop and pilot test a web-based system for surveying large populations.
Methods: This cross-sectional, population-based pilot study was conducted at an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and at 10 community-based cancer clinics serving urban and rural populations throughout New Hampshire. Cancer survivors were individuals diagnosed with cancer, or their caregivers. Population-based and convenience sampling approaches were used to recruit 720 survivors (548 patients and 172 caregivers) over 4 months. A state-based breast cancer screening registry was used to target most participants. Self-reported demographic, clinical, and resource data were gathered via the Web survey. Unique patient and caregiver surveys contained 112 and 72 items respectively. Content validity was satisfactory and intra-rater reliability data analysis is underway. Computer-mediated branching logic diminished respondent burden.
Results: The average time taken to complete the survey was 12-18 minutes. Respondents were 22-88 years of age with educational backgrounds ranging from less than 8th grade to graduate education. Although a wide range of cancer diagnoses were represented, as expected, most patients had breast cancer (68.4%). Common patient problems were fatigue (26.5%), joint pain (20%), memory loss (19.9%), insomnia (19.7%), and intimacy problems (17.9%). Most wanted help for these problems (33.7–68.5%). Talking with other survivors, support groups, nutritional counseling, exercise, massage, Reiki, and yoga were the most commonly used/requested support services. Caregivers reported problems with communication (21.5%), weight gain (19.2%), anxiety (18.6%), insomnia (18.6%), fatigue (18%), and finances (12.8%). Most caregivers (66%) would use supportive resources.
Conclusions: The Web-based survey facilitated population-based data collection from patients of diverse age and educational backgrounds. Survivors struggle with many bothersome problems. Survey data can be used to develop community-specific resources.
Journal Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - 2010 (394)
- Normalized Database Structure to Support Survey Fulfillment Operations; 2010; Sikes, N., Pittman, J., Hazel, K.
- Hatteras Survey System: On-path Validation for a Non-linear Survey Engine; 2010; Suresh, R., Allen, S., Peele, B., Rasmussen, C., Sattler, S., Suresh, P., Warmoth, E.
- Using User Mode Linux For Web Surveys; 2010; Vogel, D.
- Nonresponse Error, Measurement Error and Mode of Data Collection: Tradeoffs in a Multi-Mode Survey; 2010; Sakshaug, J. W., Tourangeau, R., Yan, T.
- Item Non-response Differences Between Web and Mail Surveys of the General Public; 2010; Dillman, D. A., Edwards, M. L., Messer, B. L., Millar, M. M.
- Mode Effect or Question Wording? Source of Measurement Error in Mixed Mode Surveys; 2010; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Scherpenzeel, A., Stam, S., Zandvliet, R.
- Beyond the Blank-Canvas Approach ; 2010
- When the water is right.; 2010; Andruss, P.
- Online Surveys For Dummies; 2010; Bhaskaran, V., LeClaire, J.
- The Role of Landline and Cell Phone Usage Patterns in Nonreponse Error Potential Among Young Adults...; 2010; Currivan, D. B., Levine, B., Mayo, N.
- Differences in Early and Late Responders: Findings from a Military Web-Based Community Survey.; 2010; Prabhakaran, J., Spera, C., Leach, L. M., Foster, R.
- Assessing Cell Phone Noncoverage Bias Across Different Topics and Subgroups; 2010; Christian, L. M., Keeter, S., Purcell, K., Smith, A.
- Using a Simulation Study to Examine Strategies for Combining Cell and Landline Survey Samples; 2010; Duffy, T., Bausch, S., Iachan, R., Lu, B.
- An Examination of Panel Conditioning in an Advertising Tracking Study with Cross-Sectional Design; 2010; Anderson, A. J., Marsh, K. A., Turner, S., Marsh, S. M.
- The Unusual Suspects for Survey Non-response: A Follow-up Study with Respondents and Non- Respondents...; 2010; Lai, J. W., Bell, S., Link, M., Walker, M., Narciso, L., Jin, T.
- Representing Seniors in an Online National Probability Panel Survey: Measuring Technology Attitudes...; 2010; Peugh, J., Mansfield, W., Wells, T., Semans, K.
- Communicating Disclosure Risk in Informed Consent Statements; 2010; Singer, E., Couper, M. P.
- Meeting the Challenges of Converting a Large Establishment Survey from Paper to Electronic Administration...; 2010; Roe, D. J., Thalji, L., Loft, J., Flicker, L., Stockdale, J., Stagnitti, M.
- Assessing the Accuracy of the Face-to-Face Recruited Internet Survey Platform: A Comparison of Behavioral...; 2010; Villar, A., Malka, A., Krosnick, J. A.
- Internet Panels and Health Research: Findings from National RDD Surveys.; 2010; Boyle, J.
- Item Nonresponse Analysis for a Mixed-Mode Survey.; 2010; Lorenc, B., Olsson, K.
- Significant Factors Governing the Use of Auditory Stimuli in Web Questionnaires; 2010; Utami, S. S., Dawood, R., Navvab, M.
- The Subject Lines of Web Survey Invitations and Participation Rates; 2010; Titiz, H., Ziniel, S.
- When to Email or Not?: Determining the Best Day of the Week to Send Evites For Participation in a Web...; 2010; Epps, S. R., Hall, L., Hunter, J. A.Hall, L. M.
- Experimental Trial of Benefit Appeals on Completion Rates for the Agricultural Screening Survey; 2010; Atkinson, D., Moore, D., McCarthy, J. S.
- Mode Effect or Question Wording? Developing Robust Questions for Mixed Mode Surveys; 2010; de Leeuw, E. D., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Using Overt and Covert Survey Traps to Maximize Data Quality; 2010; Cardador, J., Wayman, M., Sheridan, M.
- Professional Web Respondents and Data Quality; 2010; Conrad, F. G., Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Zhang, C.
- Does Making The Survey Topic More Salient Lead To An Expert Bias? – The Influence of Announcing...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Weilbuchner, N., Jungreithmaier, S.
- Time Related Inconsistencies in Global Online Panels; 2010; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Study of Non-Probability Sample Internet Surveys' Estimates of Consumer Product Usage and Demographic...; 2010; Yeager, D. S., Carter, A., Tewoldemedhin, H., Krosnick, J. A.
- Nonresponse Bias and the Impact of Incentives in a Survey of Physician Members of a Professional Organization...; 2010; Buttermore, N. R.
- Economic or Social Exchange: Examining the Effects of Different Incentive Amounts in a Panel Study; 2010; Boulianne, S. J.
- The Effectiveness of an Interactive Web Survey in Decreasing Satisficing and Social Desirability Bias...; 2010; Walejko, G. K.
- Response Behaviors in Self-Administered Multiple Questionnaire Surveys; 2010; Lacey, J. N., Ramirez, C. M.
- Experimental Tests on Response Rates in Student Web Surveys: What Works and What Doesn’t; 2010; Bloom, J. D.
- Web Surveys when Databases have Incomplete Email Records: The Impact of Modifying the Method of Respondent...; 2010; Elasmar, M. G.
- An Experiment to Test the Feasibility and Quality of a Web-Based Questionnaire of Teachers; 2010; Jacob, R., Scott, L., Rowan, B.
- Web Questionnaire Usage in an Establishment Survey; 2010; Harris, S. J., Biemer, P. P., Penne, M. A.
- Visual vs. Aural Surveys: Examining the Similarities and Differences Between Survey Modes; 2010; Stapleton, C.
- Emulating Interviewers in an Online Survey: Experimental Manipulation of ‘Do-Not-Know’ Over...; 2010; Hox, J.
- The Effectiveness of Multiple Modes Among Young Adults; 2010; Anderson-Knott, M., Jorgensen, S., Armitage, J.
- Mode Effect Analysis: Paper respondents vs. Web respondents in the 2004-05 Teacher Follow-up Survey; 2010; Aritomi, T., Hill, J.
- Long-Term Efficacy of Sequential Mixed-Mode Designs on Response Rates and Cost in a Panel Survey; 2010; Levenstein, R. M., Barber, J. S., Gatny, H. H.
- Probability of Selecting Response Mode Between Paper- and Web-Based Options: Logistic Model Based on...; 2010; Murray, M.
- Impact of Monetary Incentives and Web Survey Option in the 2008 National Survey of Recent College Graduates...; 2010; Heaviside, S., Jang, D., Mooney, G., Barrett, K., Kang, K. H.
- Response Mode and Bias Analysis in the IRS' Individual Taxpayer Burden Survey; 2010; Masken, K., Contos, G., Nord, R., Brick, J. M.
- Diversity of Methods: Assessment of Quantitative and Qualitative Research Multiplier Effects.; 2010; Ballou, J., Roff, B., Anderson, M.
- Potentials and Constraints of Propensity Score Weighting to Improve Web Survey Quality; 2010; Steinmetz, S., Tijdens, K.
- Differences in Length of Survey Administration between Spanish-Language and English- Language Survey...; 2010; Wells, T., Vidalon, M., DiSogra, C.