Web Survey Bibliography
The wide accessibility of computer-based technologies like the previous termInternetnext term and Interactive Voice Response (IVR) systems raises the question of whether population previous termsurveynext term data could be collected more easily and cheaply compared to using paper questionnaires. In the area of possibly stigmatized behaviors such as problematic alcohol and drug use, the question extends to whether the prevalence of such behaviors in the general population could be surveyed without compromising the quality of the data.
This study compares previous termInternetnext term and IVR versions of the AUDIT and DUDIT with respect to: (1) response rate, (2) problematic alcohol and drug use and (3) reliability.
5000 individuals, randomly selected from the Swedish general population, were contacted via postal mail and invited to complete the AUDIT and DUDIT questionnaires via previous termInternetnext term or IVR. In total, 1861 (37.8%) participated in the study, 1089 via previous termInternetnext term and 772 via IVR.
The previous termInternetnext term administration mode yielded a higher response rate (38.1%) compared to the IVR mode (33.9%). When respondents were given a choice between previous termInternetnext term and IVR, a higher response rate resulted (43.2–46.6%). Problematic alcohol and drug use occurred among 21.1% and 2.8% of the sample, respectively, with no significant differences by administration mode. Both the AUDIT and DUDIT exhibited satisfactory reliability across administration modes, Cronbach's α 0.76/0.86.
Data quality does not deteriorate with computerized administration methods for the AUDIT and DUDIT in population studies but paper questionnaires should also be made available to respondents in order to maximize response rates.
ScienceDirect Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Voice technology (46)
- Using an Item Response Theory Approach to Measure Survey Mode of Administration Effects: Analysis of...; 2013; Mariano, L. T., Elliott, M. N.
- Utilization of High-Technology to Collect Health Risk Assessment Information from Medicare Members:...; 2013; Freedman, D., VanderHorst, N.
- Avatare in der Marktforschung: Effekte künst-licher Interviewer im Online-Interview; 2013; Luetters, H.
- Survey Sidekick: Learning & designing scientifically sound surveys; 2013; Hsiao, I.-H., Malhotra, M., Joo, J., Chae, H. S., Natriello, G.
- A Randomized Experiment Investigating the Suitability of Speech-Enabled IVR and Web Modes for Publicly...; 2012; Elliott, M. N., Brown, J. A., Lehrman, W. G., Beckett, M. K., Hambarsoomian, K., Giordano, L. A., Goldstein...
- Media tracker; 2012
- Specific mixed-mode methodology to reach sensory disabled people in quantitative surveys; 2012; Fontaine, S.
- The Usage of a Cloud Service as an Effective Way of Sharing Cognitive and Usability Test Information; 2012; Rouhunkoski, J., Godenhjelm, P.
- For winning qualitative, make it high-touch + high-tech; 2012; Barber, E., McIlrath, M.
- Using Text-to-Speech (TTS) for Audio-CASI; 2012; Couper, M. P., Kirgis, N., Buageila, S., Berglund, P.
- Data Quality from Low Cost Data Collection Methodologies; 2012; Traugott, M. W.
- Survey paradata: a review; 2011; Nicolaas, G.
- ESOMAR AND CASRO submission to the W3C tracking protection working group - Market research techniques...; 2011
- Population screening of risky alcohol and drug use via Internet and Interactive Voice Response (IVR):...; 2011; Sinadinovic, K., Wennberg, P., Berman, A. H.
- IVR and web administration in structured interviews utilizing rating scales: exploring the role of motivation...; 2011; Yang, Y., Callegaro, M., Bhola, D. S., Dillman, D. A.
- The impact of next and back buttons on time to complete and measurement reliability in computer-based...; 2010; Hays, R. D. et al.
- Interactive Voice Response and web-based questionnaires for population-based infectious disease reporting...; 2010; Bexelius, C., Merk, H., Sandin, S., Nyrén, O., Kühlmann-Berenzon, S., Linde, A., Litton, J.-E.
- Continuous Measurement of Musically-Induced Emotion: A Web Experiment ; 2009; Egermann, H., Nagel, F., Altenmueller, E., Kopiez, R.
- E-epidemiology : Adapting epidemiological methods for the 21st century; 2009; Bexelius, C.
- Innovative online research: The US presidential campaign of Barack Obama case study; 2009; Riley, R.
- Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- Social desirability bias in CATI, IVR and Web surveys: The effects of mode and question sensitivity; 2008; Kreuter, F., Presser, S., Tourangeau, R.
- IVR: Interactive voice technology; 2008; Miller-Steiger, D., Conroy, B.
- Improving Data Quality from Student Surveys: A Natural Experiment in South Africa to Test the Impact...; 2007; Courser, M., Zimmerman, R., Cupp, P., Bhana, A.
- Evolution of Audio Recording in Field Surveys; 2007; Thissen, R., Sattaluri, S., McFarlane, E., Biemer, P. P.
- Methods and Horse Races: How Internet, IVR and Phone Polls Performed in the 2006 Elections; 2007; Blumenthal, M., Franklin, C. H.
- Evaluating Patients' Experiences with Individual Physicians: A Randomized Trial of Mail, Internet, and...; 2006; Rodriguez, H. P., von Glahn, T., Rogers, W. H., Chang, H., Fanjiang, G., Safran, D. G.
- Complementing Random-Digit-Dial Telephone Surveys term with Other Approaches to Collecting Sensitive...; 2006; Galesic, M., Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P.
- Sound Bytes: Capturing Audio in Survey Interviews; 2005; Hansen, S. E., Krysan, M., Couper, M. P.
- A household panel as a tool for cost-effective health-related population surveys: validity of the "...; 2004; Potthoff, P., Heinemann, Lothar A.J., Guther, B.
- Validation of the Addiction Severity Index (ASI) for internet and automated telephone self-report administration...; 2004; Brodey, B. B., Rosen, C. S., Brodey, I. S., Sheetz, B. M., Steinfeld, R. R., Gastfriend, D. R.
- Usability, Comparability And Data Quality Across Modes And Technologies In Census Data Collection; 2004; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P.
- Does Voice Matter? An Interactive Voice Response (IVR) Experiment; 2004; Couper, M. P., Singer, E., Tourangeau, R.
- Does the Web Doom Traditional Call Centers?; 2004; Olsen, R. J.
- Modeling Survey Respondents' Speech to Improve Speech Survey Interface; 2004; Ehlen, P., Schober, M. F., Conrad, F. G.
- Mail and Internet Surveys (Book); 2003; Zimmerman, D. E.
- Humanizing self-administered surveys: experiments on social presence in web and IVR surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Stegier, D.M.Steiger, D. M.; de Rouvray, C.
- Web Surveys to Digital Movies: Technological Tools of the Trade; 2002; Fetterman, D. M.
- Navigating the Rapids of Change: Some Observations on Survey Methodology in the Early 21st Century; 2002; Dillman, D. A.
- IAPI (Internet Aided Personal Interview); 2002; Muehlenfeld, H. -U.
- An Experiment Comparing Computer-Assisted and Paper Modes of Data Collection for the Short Form in Census...; 2002; Schneider, S. J., Cantor, D., Malakhoff, L., Arieira, C., Segel, P., Nguyen, L., Guarino, J. A.
- Self-administered questions by telephone: Evaluating interactive voice response; 2002; Tourangeau, R., Steiger, D. M.,
- Mail and Internet Surveys (Book Review); 2001; Faubion, C. W., Andrew, J. D.
- Humanizing Self-Administered Surveys: Experiments on Social Presence on the Web and Interactive Voice...; 2001; Steiger, D. M., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.
- Comparison of Telephone, Mail, Web, and IVR Surveys; 2000; Bason, J. J.
- A Conversational Approach to Text-Based Computer-Administered Questionnaires; 1999; Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F.