Web Survey Bibliography
(a) Relevance & Research Question:
With the Internet as a new data collection mode, traditional survey methodology needs to be reconsidered. The increasing popularity of web surveys triggered a heated debate about their quality for scientific use, and created a demand for appropriate web survey methodology. The most obvious disadvantage of web surveys is that they may not be representative of the general population because the sub-population with Internet access is quite specific. In this context, propensity score adjustment (PSA) has been proposed to statistically surmount inherent problems, particularly in non-probability-based web surveys. In PSA procedures, a parallel probability-based reference survey is used to estimate the propensities of being in the web sample based on a vector of covariates (socio-demographic and ‘webographic’ variables) measured in both samples. Appropriate covariates are crucial to the method. Therefore, the paper will explore the efficiency of PSA and the power of webographics in adjusting biases arising from non-randomized sample selection.
(b) Methods & Data:
The un-weighted and weighted results from the Dutch volunteer web sample of the WageIndicator Survey 2009 will be compared with data from the Dutch LISS Panel that has been collected in parallel. The advantage of this reference survey is that it provides a proper probability sample stemming from the same questionnaire. Survey mode effects can be excluded, as both questionnaires are completed individually on the computer. The application will also examine the sensitivity of results, particularly with regard to changes in the specification of the propensity score and the selected covariates.
The study is an extension of previous findings which have been analyzed in the framework of the project “Improving web survey methodology”. As new data (particularly a new reference survey) have been collected in October 2009, the paper will present up-to-date results that are not available yet .
(d) Added Value:
In the scientific community, there is a minimal amount of evidence for the applicability of PSA to surveys. Consequently, the paper opens new perspectives, particularly for web survey methodology, and is likely to serve as a basis for more extensive studies on this topic.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Weighting & imputation (267)
- Panel Attrition: Separating Stayers, Sleepers and Other Types of Drop-Out in an Internet Panel; 2013; Lugtig, P. J.
- Speeding and Non-Differentiation in Web Surveys: Evidence of Correlation and Strategies for Reduction...; 2013; Zhang, C.
- Web Versus Outbound: A Mode Face-Off Following the Presidential Debate; 2013; Marlar, J.
- The Effects of Errors in Paradata on Weighting Class Adjustments: A Simulation Study; 2013; West, B. T.
- Improving Surveys with Paradata: Analytic Uses of Process Information; 2013; Kreuter, F.
- Ten questions to ask your online survey provider; 2013; Williams, D.
- Practical tools for designing and weighting survey samples; 2013; Valliant, R. L., Daver, J. A., Kreuter, F.
- Measuring Wages Worldwide: Exploring the Potentials and Constraints of Volunteer Web Surveys; 2013; Steinmetz, S., Raess, D., Tijdens, K., de Pedraza, P.
- Moving an established survey online – or not?; 2013; Barber, T., Chilvers, D., Kaul, S.
- The comparison of road safety survey answers between web-panel and face-to-face; Dutch results of SARTRE...; 2013; Goldenbeld, C., de Craen, S.
- Measuring working conditions in a volunteer web survey; 2013; de Pedraza, P., Villacampa, A.
- Propensity Score Weighting – Can Personality Adjust for Selectivity?; 2013; Glantz, A., Greszki, R.
- The rise of the "connected viewer"; 2012; Smith, A., Boyles, J. L.
- Eurobarometer Special surveys: Special Eurobarometer 381; 2012
- Computation of Survey Weights: Bridging Theory and Practice; 2012; Debell, M.
- Modes of Data Collection; 2012; Tourangeau, R.
- An experimental investigation of the effects of noncontingent and contingent incentives in recruiting...; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E., Peugh, J., Charlebois, O., Murakami...
- Rules of engagement: The war against poorly engaged respondents - guidelines for elimination; 2012; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Web Panels; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Use of Response Propensities; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Weighting Adjustment Techniques; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- The Problem of Self-Selection; 2012; Bethlehem, J.,Biffignandi, S.
- The Problem of Undercoverage; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Respondent-driven sampling; 2012; Schonlau, M., Liebau, E.
- A Structural Analysis Based on Similarity between Fuzzy Clusters and Its Application to Evaluation Data...; 2012; Chiba, R., Furutani, T., Sato-Ilic, M.
- Why one should incorporate the design weights when adjusting for unit nonresponse using response homogeneity...; 2012; Kott, P. S.
- Cell Sample Demographics under Alternative Dual-Frame Sample Designs; 2012; Montgomery, R., Morrison, H., Zeng, W., Wolter, K., Blumberg, S. J., O'Connor, K.
- Data Quality from Low Cost Data Collection Methodologies; 2012; Traugott, M. W.
- To Weight, or Not to Weight, That is the Question: Survey Weights and Multivariate Analysis; 2012; Young, R., Johnson, D. R.
- Multiple Imputation for Unit Nonresponse and Measurement Error; 2012; Peytchev, A.
- Assessing the Quality of Survey Data ; 2012; Blasius, J.
- Collecting, Managing, and Assessing Data Using Sample Surveys; 2012; Stopher, P.
- Online survey research: Findings, best practices, and future research. Report prepared for the Advertising...; 2011; Vannette, D.
- Online survey research: Findings, Best practices, and future research; 2011
- Just published: Forrester Wave™ of enterprise feedback management satisfaction and loyalty solutions...; 2011; McInnes, A.
- In search of a new approach to measure newspaper audiences in Canada: The journey continues; 2011; Crassweller, A., Rogers, J., Graves, F., Gauthier, E., Charlebois, O.
- Households with Computers, Telephone Subscriptions, and Internet Access, Selected Years, 1997 - 2010; 2011
- Eurobarometer Special surveys: EB75.1 E-Communications Household Survey. Special Eurobarometer 362; 2011
- A meta-analysis of experiments manipulating progress indicators in Web surveys; 2011; Callegaro, M., Villar, A., Yang, Y.
- The Evolution of Edits in the Canadian Census of Population Online Questionnaires; 2011; Laroche, D.
- Current Projects at University of Ljubljana; 2011; Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Maintaining Cross-Sectional Representativeness in a Longitudinal General Population Survey ; 2011; Lynn, P.
- The German Access Panel and the Impact of Response Propensities; 2011; Amarov, B., Enderle, T., Muennich, R., Rendtel, U., Zins, S.
- A Bayesian analysis of small area probabilities under a constraint; 2011; Nandram, B., Sayit, H.
- The Impact of Non-Response Treatments on the Stability of Blockmodels; 2011; Znidarsic, A., Ferligoj, A., Doreian, P.
- Research on Internet survey errors and control methods; 2011; Mingyue, F., Xicang, Z.
- Separation of selection bias and mode effect in mixed-mode survey – Application to the face-to...; 2011; Bayart, C., Bonnel, P.
- Social Climate Survey of Tobacco Control: A mixed-mode approach; 2011; Klein, J. D., McMillen, R.
- Exploring use of information in paradata through calibration method to detect and adjust non-response...; 2011; Billiet, J. Matsuo, H.
- Assessment of propensity score methods on nonresponse bias adjustment; 2011; Alanya, A., Billiet, J., Matsuo, H.