Web Survey Bibliography
a. Relevance & Research Question:
Due to the dropping penetration rate of landline telephones and a general decline in the willingness to participate in telephone surveys, data collection using online methods – especially online access panels – are becoming more popular all over Europe. Under these circumstances it is important to look at the different ways people can be recruited into online access panels as well as the costs and effectiveness of recruiting methods in terms of survey completion rates, short- and long-term panelist behavior, and the possibility to recharge target groups. What are the most effective ways of recruiting new panel members?
b. Methods & Data:
This study takes a detailed look at 137 web survey projects conducted during the course of 13 months in the Austrian Opinions Online Panel to gain insight into who the people are that participate in online access panels and how to recruit new members in an effective, fast and widespread way. A total of 7.607 panel members were analyzed. We looked at the way they entered the panel (direct mailing, opt-in e-mail lists, Google Ads, Second Life etc.), their behavior in the online panel(membership duration, completion rate etc.) and whether there are any differences in the characteristics of people recruited with different methods.
It is shown that the costs of a new panel member and his/her behavior in the panel depends on the entry way.The percentage of surveys started and of the questionnaires terminated before finish was influenced by the way of entering the online access panel, gender, age, number of invitations received and length of membership.
d. Added Value:
This study shows that with different ways of recruitment for online panels different groups of new panelists in terms of demographics and participation behavior can be gained at varying costs. We show what the most efficient ways to recruit new panel members are.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Costs (464)
- Responsive Design for Web Panel Data Collection; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Comparing the Effects of Mode Design on Response Rate, Representativeness, and Cost Per Complete in...; 2013; Tully, R.
- The Effects of Pushing Web in a Mixed-Mode Establishment Data Collection; 2013; Ellis, C.
- Methodological Considerations of Qualitative Email Interviews; 2013; Nehls, K.
- Compared to a small, supervised lab experiment, a large, unsupervised web-based experiment on a previously...; 2013; Ryan, R. S., Wilde, M., Crist, S.
- Managing mobile research: How it's different and why it matters; 2013; Kachhi-Jiwani, D., Tucker, J., Wilding-Brown, L.
- A standard for test reliability in group research; 2013; Ellis, J. L.
- The General Survey System Initiative at RTI International: An Integrated System for the Collection and...; 2013; Thalji, L., Mitchell, S., Hill, C. A., Suresh, R., Speizer, H., Pratt, D.
- Innovation in Data Collection: the Responsive Design Approach; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Measurement effects in mixed-mode panel surveys; 2013; Lugtig, P. J.
- The ONS Beyond 2011 Programme & possible implications for social surveys; 2013; Morris, L.
- Issues of Coverage and Sampling in Web Surveys for the General Population: An Overview; 2013; Lynn, P.
- Use of a Social Networking Web Site for Recruiting Canadian Youth for Medical Research; 2013; Chu, J. L., Snider, C. E.
- Measurement invariance and quality of composite scores in a face-to-face and a web survey; 2013; Revilla, M.
- Convenient yet not a convenience sample: Jury pools as experimental subject pools; 2013; Murray, G. R., Rugeley, C. R., Mitchell, D.-G., Mondak, J. J.
- Online Survey Software; 2013; Baker, J. D.
- Incentives for college student participation in web-based substance use surveys; 2013; Patrick, M. E., Singer, E., Boyd, C. J., Cranford, J. A., McCabe, S. E.
- Screenwise panel: Frequently Asked Questions; 2012
- Social media as a data collection tool: the impact of Facebook in behavioural research; 2012; Zoppos, E.
- Social research in online context: methodological reflections on web surveys from a case study; 2012; Pandolfini, V.
- Can Microtargeting Improve Survey Sampling? An Assessment of Accuracy and Bias in Consumer File Marketing...; 2012; Pasek, J.
- Optimizing Response Rates; 2012; Brick, J. M.
- Modes of Data Collection; 2012; Tourangeau, R.
- The re-engineering of the Structural Earnings survey process: Mixed - Mode data collection and new E...; 2012; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- Between demand and reality: Ensuring efficiency and quality in pretesting questionnaires; 2012; Sattelberger, S., Blanke, K.
- Choosing a Data Collection Approach: Mixed Mode Design Experiences in Statistics Finland; 2012; Taskinen, P., Kiianmaa, N.
- An experimental investigation of the effects of noncontingent and contingent incentives in recruiting...; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E., Peugh, J., Charlebois, O., Murakami...
- The Feasibility of Conducting a Web Survey Using Respondent Driven Sampling among Transgenders in the...; 2012; Kappelhof, J.
- WEBDATANET: web-based data-collection methodological challenges, solutions and implementations. Action...; 2012; de Pedraza, P.
- WebSM Study: Survey software features overview ; 2012; Vehovar, V.; Cehovin, G.; Kavcic, L.; Lenar, J.
- Web Panels; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Weighting Adjustment Techniques; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Mixed-Mode Surveys; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Effects of E-Mailed Versus Mailed Invitations and Incentives on Response Rates, Data Quality, and Costs...; 2012; Dykema, J., Stevenson, J., Klein, L., Kim, Y., Day, B.
- Prenotification, Incentives, and Survey Modality: An Experimental Test of Methods to Increase Survey...; 2012; Tepper, J. R., Jacob, B.
- Costs and Errors in Fixed and Mobile Phone Surveys; 2012; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Berzelak, N.
- Paper-and-Pencil versus Web Administration of a Student Satisfaction Survey; 2012; Bowen, C.-C.
- An Initial Look at Non-Response and Attrition in Understanding Society; 2012; Lynn, P., Burton, J., Kaminska, O., Knies, G., Nandi, A.
- Evidence on the Comparison of Telephone and Internet Surveys for Respondent Recruitment.; 2012; Potoglou, D., Kanaroglou, P. S., Robinson, N.
- Comparison of response rates and cost-effectiveness for a community-based survey: postal, internet and...; 2012; Sinclair, M., O'Toole, J., Malawaraarachchi, M., Leder, K.
- Online Questionnaire Data Analysis System (OQDAS); 2012; Ali, A. Q.
- Solving the Mode Mystery The Cost, Coverage and Quality Tradeoffs of Picking (and Mixing) Online and...; 2012; Cape, P. J., Phillips, K.
- Modular Survey Design for Mobile Devices; 2012; Johnson, A., Kelly, F.
- Improving RDD Cell Phone Samples. Evaluation of Different Pre-call Validation Methods; 2012; Kunz, T., Fuchs, M.
- Influencing Mode Choice in a Mixed Mode Survey; 2012; Mooney, G., Lan, F., Lin, X., Hurwitz, A.
- Best Approaches to Mode Order and Non-response Prompting in a Multi-Mode Survey; 2012; Newsome, J., Levin, K., Schafer, B., Vigil, M., Liu, W.
- Better (Quality), Faster, Cheaper? Completing Web Surveys on Cell-Enabled iPads; 2012; Driscoll, H., Dayton, J. J., Pels, R.
- The Challenge of Going National: An Experimental Evaluation of the Effects of Local vs. Distant Survey...; 2012; Edwards, M. L., Dillman, D. A.
- What are the Odds? Lotteries versus Cash Incentives. Response Rates, Cost and Data Quality for a Web...; 2012; Stevenson, J., Dykema, J., Klein, L., Cyffka, K., Goldrick-Rab, S.
- Data Quality from Low Cost Data Collection Methodologies; 2012; Traugott, M. W.