Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question:
For the specific type of hidden or rare populations several sampling methods like time, space or targeted sampling exist. A relatively new method is Respondent Driven Sampling (RDS). In RDS participants recruit their peers. The advantages of RDS are, that the sample composition reaches an equilibrium within a limited number of recruitment waves, which means that all social ties within the target population have an equal probability of being recruited. Additionally, RDS provides information for analyzing the social structure of the population. It also helps to reduce effects of volunteerism and the masking effect.
In order for RDS to work, the target population needs to form a single connected network with a fairly high frequency of interaction. There has to be at least five links on average from one node to another to ensure long referral chains.
My research question is whether RDS is an appropriate method to sample social networks in an online research environment among former colleagues of German companies that relocated or off-shored their workforce. The key questions are, how connected the individuals are both within and across companies, how and how often the communicate and which effects influence the recruitment process.
Methods & Data:
I am doing a pilot study among former colleagues of a small and two medium-sized companies in Germany, to test the applicability of RDS as an online research method on rare populations. Sample questions of the questionnaire include the access and use of e-mail and social internet communities and the individual network size.
Work is still in progress and first results of the pilot study will be available by the begin of the year 2010.
The poster will introduce the RDS methodology to the online research community as an effective and efficient form to sample rare populations. The pilot study tests the feasibility of RDS for a special target population and gives advices for the implementation of an online RDS-study. The results of these pilot study will be the basis for an online research project about hidden costs of company relocations.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Marketing/business (687)
- Lotteries and study results in market research online panels; 2013; Goeritz, A., Luthe, S. C.
- Survey quality prediction system 2.0; 2013
- A nationwide web-based freight data collection; 2013; Samimi, A., Mohammadian, A., Kawamura, K.
- Measuring Wages Worldwide: Exploring the Potentials and Constraints of Volunteer Web Surveys; 2013; Steinmetz, S., Raess, D., Tijdens, K., de Pedraza, P.
- Managing mobile research: How it's different and why it matters; 2013; Kachhi-Jiwani, D., Tucker, J., Wilding-Brown, L.
- An approach to selecting online respondents; 2013; Terhanian, G.
- By the Numbers: Theory of adaptation or survival of the fittest?; 2013; Cavallaro, K.
- Measuring wages via a volunteer web survey – a cross-national analysis of item nonresponse; 2013; Steinmetz, S., Annmaria, B.
- Measuring working conditions in a volunteer web survey; 2013; de Pedraza, P., Villacampa, A.
- Prison break: Releasing offline experiments from methodological constraints by transforming them into...; 2013; Förstel, H., Manthei, K., Mohnen, A., Berger, G.
- Research Design as an Influencing Factor for Reliability in Online Market Research; 2013; Wengrzik, J., Theuner, G.
- 'Ready to complete the survey on Facebook': Web 2.0 as a research tool in business studies; 2013; Gregori, A., Baltar, F.
- Unintentional mobile respondents; 2012; Peterson, G.
- The integration of facebook into class management: an exploratory study; 2012; Chou, P. N.
- The cross platform report. Q2 -2012 - US; 2012
- Screenwise panel: Frequently Asked Questions; 2012
- Research company spotlight - Mobile surveys; 2012
- Quality in market research. From theory to practice. 2nd Edition; 2012; Harding, D., Jackson, P.
- Online survey statistics for the mobile future. Updated with Q3 2012 data; 2012
- Not just playing around; 2012; Ewing, T.
- MRS Guidelines for online reseach; 2012
- Mobile usability; 2012; Nielsen, J., Budiu, R.
- Mobile email opens report 2nd half 2011; 2012
- ISO 20252. Market, opinion and social research-Vocabulary and service requirements, 2nd Edition; 2012
- Global market research 2012; 2012
- The war against unengaged online respondents; 2012; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Qualitatively Speaking: The five absolute, no-excuse must-dos for online qualitative researchers; 2012; Rossow, A.
- By the Numbers: Lessons for using online panels in B2B research; 2012; Elsner, N.
- Measure the response burden in the Swedish Intrastat system; 2012; Weideskog, F.
- Improving the quality of complex surveys: The case of the EU Labour Force Survey ; 2012; van der Valk, J.
- The re-engineering of the Structural Earnings survey process: Mixed - Mode data collection and new E...; 2012; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- Developments and the impact of smart technology; 2012; Macer, T.
- Multi-Language Multi-Continent B2B Community Panel: How B2B research can effectively span the world; 2012; Morden, M., Accomando, E.
- Can Survey Gaming Techniques Cross Continents? Examining cross cultural reactions to creative questioning...; 2012; Puleston, J.
- Research Goes Mobile: Findings from initial smartphone application research; 2012; Dubreuil, C., Joubert, S.
- Research in the Mobile Mindset: Exploring the unexplored in the mobile research space; 2012; Willems, A., Veris, E., Verhaeghe, A.
- Probabilistic survey questions and incorrect answers: Retirement income replacement rates; 2012; van Santen, P., Alessie, R., Kalwij, A.
- Improving Representativeness In Online Surveys Using A Combined Internet/Postal Approach: Evidence From...; 2012; Atorough, P., Donaldson, B., Harris, A.
- Evidence on the Comparison of Telephone and Internet Surveys for Respondent Recruitment.; 2012; Potoglou, D., Kanaroglou, P. S., Robinson, N.
- Mobile Survey Participation Rates in Commercial Market Research: A Meta-Analysis; 2012; Bosnjak, M., Poggio, T., Becker, K. R., Funke, F., Wachenfeld, A., Fischer, B.
- “What a waste of time!” vs “Why not participate?” On sentiments by business...; 2012; Torres van Grinsven, V., Snijkers, G., Daas, P.
- Measuring work activities and skill requirements of occupations: Experiences from a European pilot study...; 2012; Tijdens, K., De Ruijter, E., De Ruijter, J.
- Myths and realities of respondent engagement in online surveys; 2012; Downes-Le Guin, T., Baker, R. P., Mechling, J., Ruyle, E.
- A beginner's guide to DIY research ; 2012; Cates, T.
- The Reliability and Validity of Alternative Customer Satisfaction Measurement Scales in PC Web and Mobile...; 2012; Chrzan, K., Saunders, T.
- Demonstration of an Integrated Sample Management System for a Mixed Mode (Paper/Web) Survey; 2012; Ullman, E., Peng, H., Helppie McFall, B.
- The Confirmit Annual Market Research Software Survey 2011; 2012; Macer, T.,
- How Likely?: Comparisons of Behavioral Intention Measurement Validity; 2012; Bremer, J., Thomas, R. K.
- Effects of Progress Indicators on Short Questionnaires; 2012; Sedley, A., Callegaro, M.
- Coverage error in internet surveys Can fixed phones fix it?; 2012; Vicente, P., Reis, E.