Web Survey Bibliography
Background: Although we know a great deal about the percentage of youth who drink alcohol, we know very little about the specific brands they choose to drink. This information gap needs to be addressed if public health officials are to develop more effective interventions. Unfortunately, there are no national youth surveys that collect data on alcohol brand consumption. In this paper, we describe the development and pilot testing of what we believe to be the first comprehensive, Internet-based youth survey of brand-specific alcohol use.
Methods: We used online advertising in 3 U.S. cities to recruit a convenience sample of 241 respondents, ages 16 to 18 years. We used Craigslist, a network of online communities that features local classified advertisements, to recruit the sample. We used SurveyGizmo, an online software program for designing Internet surveys, collecting data, and performing basic analysis, to survey these respondents about their brand-specific alcohol consumption patterns. The survey instrument assessed each respondent’s 30-day drinking history, including the frequency of consumption for each alcohol brand.
Results: Using Internet survey technology, we were able to collect information on 366 brands and still have respondents complete the instrument quickly and easily. The total number of brands consumed in the past 30 days ranged from 1 to 18, with a median of 4 brands. The top 5 brands consumed were beer brands, as were eleven of the top 15 brands. The remaining 4 brands in the top 15 included 3 brands of flavored alcoholic beverages and 1 brand of mixed drink. Among the top 15 alcohol brands consumed during heavy drinking episodes were 8 brands of beer, 4 brands of flavored alcoholic beverages, 2 brands of wine, and 1 brand of mixed drink.
Conclusions: This pilot study helps establish the feasibility of including brand-specific questions on federal or other national youth alcohol surveys.
Wiley Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (436)
- Methodological Issues in Internet-Mediated Research: A Randomized Comparison of Internet Versus Mailed...; 2011; Whitehead, L.
- Surveying ourselves: examining the use of a web-based approach for a physician survey.; 2011; Matteson, K., Anderson, B. L., Pinto, S. B., Clark, M. A., Lopes, V., Schulkin, J.
- Does the Inclusion of a Cost Attribute in Forced and Unforced Choices Matter? Results from a Web Survey...; 2011; Pedersen, L. B., Kjaer, T., Kragstrup, J., Gyrd-Hansen, D.
- Reliability and Validity of Self-Reported Smoking in an Anonymous Online Survey With Young Adults; 2011; Ramo, D. E., Hall, S. M., Prochaska, J. J.
- Using web-based and paper-based questionnaires for collecting data on fertility issues among female...; 2011; Van Den Berg, M. H., Overbeek, A., van der Pal, H. J. H., Versluys, B. A., , Van Leeuwe, F. E. Lambalk...
- Validation of the web-based LUMINA questionnaire for recruiting large cohorts of migraineurs; 2011; van Oosterhout, W. P. J., Weller, C. M., Stam, A. H., Stijnen, T.,Ferrari, M. D.; Terwindt, G. M.
- Exploring Health-related Experiences and Access to Care: Differences between Online and Telephone Survey...; 2011; Doty, M. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J.
- Development and Validation of a Web-Based Questionnaire for Surveying Skydivers; 2011; Nilsson, J.; Friden, C.; Buren, V.; Ang, B.
- Method of administration affects adolescent post-immunization survey response rate: phone, paper, internet...; 2011; Pielak, K. L.; Buxton, J.; McIntyrea, C.; Tu, A,; Botnick, M. R.
- Development of a Web-Based Survey for Monitoring Daily Health and its Application in an Epidemiological...; 2011; Sugiura, H., Ohkusa, Y., Akahane, M., Sano, T., Okabe, N., Imamura, T.
- Effectiveness and consequences of various recruitment methods in psychological research: case study; 2011; Póltorak, M.
- Social desirability and self-reported health risk behaviors in web-based research: three longitudinal...; 2011; Crutzen, R., Goeritz, A.
- Can search engine advertising help access rare samples?; 2011; Nunan, D., Knox, S.
- "But This is My Cell Phone!": A Qualitative Look at Practical Techniques for Gaining the...; 2011; George, J., Balok, T., Frasier, A. M.
- Lösungsansätze gegen den Allgemeinarztmangel auf dem Land - Ergebnisse einer Online-Befragung unter Ä...; 2011; Steinhäuser, J., Annan, N. F., Roos, M., Szecsenyi, J., Joos, S.
- Partnership-Driven Resources to Improve and Enhance Research (PRIMER): A Survey of Community-Engaged...; 2011; Dolor, R. J., Greene, S. M., Thompson, E., Baldwin, L.-M., Neale, A. V.
- Conceptualizing Trust in Digital Environments: Health-e Skepticism: Trust in the Age of the Internet; 2011; Harris, A., Wyatt, S., Kelly, S.
- Separating selection from mode effects when switching from single (CATI) to mixed mode design (CATI /...; 2011; Carstensen, J., Kriwy, P., Krug, G., Lange, C.
- Is a Mixed-Mode Approach to Reduce Attrition in a Longitudinal Mental Health Study (NESDA) a Good Idea...; 2011; Hoogendoorn, A., Lamers, F., Hoekstra, C., Penninx, B., Smit, J. H.
- Social Climate Survey of Tobacco Control: A mixed-mode approach; 2011; Klein, J. D., McMillen, R.
- Comparison of Telephone with World Wide Web-Based Responses by Parents and Teens to a Follow-Up Survey...; 2011; Dorsch, A., Durbin, D., Houseknecht, E., Jaffe, K. M., Koepsell, T. D, Rivara, F. P., Roper-Caldbeck...
- Discriminant validity and test–retest reliability of a self-administered Internet-based questionnaire...; 2011; Burnand, B., Cornuz , J., Durieux, P., Taffé, P., Voellinger, R.
- The Global Online Sexuality Survey (GOSS): Erectile Dysfunction Among Arabic-Speaking Internet Users...; 2011; Shaeer, K., Shaeer, O. K. Z.
- Bias in Online Recruitment and Retention of Racial and Ethnic Minority Men Who Have Sex With Men; 2011; Amsden, M., Coggia, T., DiClemente, R. J., Khosropour, C. M., Luisi, N., Sullivan, P. S., Wingood, G...
- Self-Control and its Relation to Emotions & Psychobiology: Evidence from a Day Reconstruction Method...; 2011; Baumeister, R., Daly, M., Delaney, L., MacLachlan, M.
- Anchoring vignettes: response consistency and order effects; 2011; Kapteyn, A., Smith, J. P., van Soest, A., Vonkova, H.
- Wireless Health Monitoring, Feedback, and Health Behaviors; 2011; Kooreman, P., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Web survey and embedded intervention on emergency department personnel perceptions of role in patient...; 2011; Bertsch, K. S., Boss, R. M., Cousins, A. C., Gardiner, F. G., Gibbs, F. J., Jay, G. D., Kobayashi, T...
- Effects of Incentives and Prenotification on Response Rates and Costs in a National Web Survey of Physicians...; 2011; Bonham, V., Day, B., Dykema, J., Sellers, S., Stevenson, J.
- Teens Ask Doctors on the Internet: A One-Year Survey of an Adolescent Health Internet Forum ; 2011; Hardoff, D., Rigler, S.
- Non-response bias in a web-based health behaviour survey of New Zealand tertiary students; 2011; Connor, J., Kypri, K., Langley, J. D., Maclennan, B., Samaranayaka, A.
- Observations about Respondent Behaviors and Survey Data from a Web Survey Commissioned by the U.S. Food...; 2011; Lin, C. T. J.
- The Use of Web Panels to Characterize Rare Conditions.; 2011; Boyle, J.
- Effects of Cue Lists and Question Format on Survey Response.; 2011; Lee, L., Krishnamurty, P., Bautista, R.
- Effects of Mode and Incentives on Response Rates, Costs, and Response Quality in a Mixed Mode Survey...; 2011; Stevenson, J., Dykema, J., Kniss, C., Black, P., Moberg, P.
- Effects of Differential Incentives on Response Rates in Four Countries for a Web-based Follow Up Survey...; 2011; McSpurren, K.
- Formative Research on MySpace: Online Methods to Engage Hard-to-Reach Populations ; 2011; Levine, D., Madsen, A., Wright, E., Barar, R. E., Santelli, J., Bull, S.
- Internet-Based Follow-Up Questionnaire for Measuring Patient-Reported Outcome after Total Hip Replacement...; 2011; Rolfson, O., Salomonsson, R., Garellick, G., E.Dahlberg, L. E.
- International web survey of chiropractic students about evidence-based practice: a pilot study; 2011; Banzai, R., Derby, D. C., Hondras, M. A.
- Can Internet surveys help us understanding allergic disorders? – results from a large survey in...; 2011; Kalogeromitros, D., Psaltopoulou, T., Makris, M., Koti, I., Chliva, C., Stefanadi, E., Hatziagelaki...
- Development and Pilot Testing of an Internet-Based Survey Instrument to Measure the Alcohol Brand Preferences...; 2011; Siegel, M., DiLoreto, J., Johnson, A., Fortunato, E. K., DeJong, W.
- Data quality assurance: an analysis of patient non-response; 2011; Derby, D. C., Haan, A., Wood, K.
- Population screening of risky alcohol and drug use via Internet and Interactive Voice Response (IVR):...; 2011; Sinadinovic, K., Wennberg, P., Berman, A. H.
- Developing and Testing a Web-Based Survey to Assess Educational Needs of Multidisciplinary Palliative...; 2011; Schulman-Green, D., Ercolano, E., Lazenby, M., McCorkle, R.
- A web-based survey on mephedrone; 2011; Carhart-Harris, R. L., King, L. A., Nutt, D. J.
- Assessing Response Bias in a Web Survey at a University Faculty; 2011; Menachemi, N.
- Does the number of choice sets matter? Results from a web survey applying a discrete choice experiment...; 2011; Bech, M., Kjaer, T., Lauridsen, J.
- Factorial trial found mixed evidence of effects of pre-notification and pleading on response to Web-...; 2011; Felix, L. M., Burchett, H. E., Edwards, P. J.
- Advantages and limitations of web-based surveys: evidence from a child mental health survey; 2011; Heiervang, E., Goodman, R.
- Sliders for the Smart: Type of Rating Scale on the Web Interacts With Educational Level; 2011; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D., Thomas, R. K.